Thread: Dishwasher

Default Dishwasher

It appears that a cabinet was cut out for the dishwasher to be installed and all that covers the open side of the interior cabinetry is some hanging insulation. Is this okay?... .it sure looks like a shoddy job. Would any of my fellow inspectors write this up as needing attention, repair, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sidney Alstad

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Dishwasher

Quote Originally Posted by sidney alstad View Post
    It appears that a cabinet was cut out for the dishwasher to be installed and all that covers the open side of the interior cabinetry is some hanging insulation. Is this okay?... .it sure looks like a shoddy job. Would any of my fellow inspectors write this up as needing attention, repair, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Sidney Alstad
    I would. Nothing stops you from making notes in your report about anything.

Question what year is the home? Or is this a moble home ?

And do you have a better picture of this kitchen cabinet and plumbing?

Best

Ron

Ranch home constructed in 1986. Kitchen cabinets are relatively new, and no I do not have a better picture.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sidney alstad View Post
    Ranch home constructed in 1986. Kitchen cabinets are relatively new, and no I do not have a better picture.
    What kind of plumbing pipe is that sticking out of the floor?

Polybutylene Plumbing - What is Polybutylene?

Ron

It appears to be Pex, which is good pipe for plastic.

I would say that cabinet work needs completion, unfinished or incomplete installation.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    It appears to be Pex, which is good pipe for plastic.

I would say that cabinet work needs completion, unfinished or incomplete installation.
    Was Pex around in 1980 ?

I looks like white Polybutylene. He needs some better photos and an ID of that pipe.

Best

Ron

MARVIN TOWNSEN Guest

I would also state a safety hazzard for the electrocution risk from the exposed motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Was Pex around in 1980 ?

I looks like white Polybutylene. He needs some better photos and an ID of that pipe.

Best

Ron

PEX re-pipe, most likely.

Where is the exposed motor? - I don't see it

The floor of the cabinet is plywood. I haven't seen a cabinet made with a plywood bottom in decades. The only plywood cabinet bottoms I have seen are on site built cabinets from pre 1970's.

That dishwasher was designed to be in a covered area. It does not have external skins. It is not a freestanding dishwasher. Betcha the installation instructions say it is to be covered.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 06-15-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    The floor of the cabinet is plywood. I haven't seen a cabinet made with a plywood bottom in decades. The only plywood cabinet bottoms I have seen are on site built cabinets from pre 1970's.

That dishwasher was designed to be in a covered area. It has not external skins. It is not a freestanding dishwasher. Betcha the installation instructions say it is to be covered.
    I too would refer back to the installation instructions.

I got out my manual for my GE dishwasher. Here's what is says:

"The dishwasher must be installed so that the drain hose is no more than 10' in length for proper drainage.
    The dishwasher must be fully enclosed on the top, sides and back, and must not support any part of the enclosure."

On another note, it also says: "NOTE: This dishwasher is equipped with a high drain loop. There is no minimum height required for drain hose routing. However, 18" minimum from floor to center of waste tee or disposer inlet is required."

MARVIN TOWNSEN Guest

Smile Re: Dishwasher

Jack it is directly behind the insulation anyone could put there hand in there. Think about little kid who is trying to recover their hotwheel that rolled under there. I would imagine that is why the require sides in the installation manual.