Thread: AC

Tony Vargas Guest

Default AC

The discharge line coming directly out of the compressor how hot is it suppose to be i was told warm and some say hot . if the system is working ok but can be cooler this can mean its low on freon right or blocked somwhereespecially if the discharge line is not warm at all
    Thanks

Inspection Referral

Default Re: AC

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
    The discharge line coming directly out of the compressor how hot is it suppose to be i was told warm and some say hot . if the system is working ok but can be cooler this can mean its low on freon right or blocked somwhereespecially if the discharge line is not warm at all
    Thanks
    That line is sometimes called "the HOT gas line". It's HOT.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

The "discharge" line coming out of the compressor is "very hot", but
    the "liquid line" coming out of the condensing unit is just warm. (the smaller of two lines.)

The discharge line is usually not very accessible from the outside so I believe it is the terminology that is getting confused.

A significantly hot liquid line may indicate dirty coils.

If the system is stabilized with interior temps around 70F, has been operating for some time, and exterior ambient temps are below 95F, then the liquid line should not be much warmer than your own hand. The suction line should be approximately beer can cold under same conditions.

This is of course a generalization and other specific factors and checks must be performed.