Default Agents don't want to replace wet drywall

Found this wet drywall under a vanity. Turns out the condensate lines were leaking behind the wall. Now the agents are teaming up wanting me to say it's OK not to pull the vanity out and replace the drywall below the base.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Agents don't want to replace wet drywall

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ozbirn View Post
    Found this wet drywall under a vanity. Turns out the condensate lines were leaking behind the wall. Now the agents are teaming up wanting me to say it's OK not to pull the vanity out and replace the drywall below the base.
    Are you considering doing what they ask?

Of course not!! The sellers agent called me this morning and told me that it was dry now. I said well it may look dry but the gypsum is still holding moisture. She said, "It's dry, I was just there this morning."

Last edited by Bob Ozbirn; 06-20-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Typo

Of course not!! The sellers agent called me this morning and told me that it was dry now. I said well it may look dry but the gypsum is still holding moisture. She said, "It's dry, I was just there this morning."
    Bob
    Tell the agent(s) that you reported the condition it was in AT THE TIME OF INSPECTION

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

James Duffin Guest

Didn't think so but had to ask.

Whether or not there is moisture in the board is irrelevant. Even if the board is absolutely dry and never gets wet/damp again, it still has the mold and dormant/dead mold can release spores.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Who cares what the agents want. What matters is what the buyer wants.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

If fixing that properly is such a big deal, maybe they should find the clients a better house.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The homeowners insurance should cover it since it was caused by a condensation leak. Heck, I can see mold in your photo so you can only imagine what the backside of the drywall looks like.

The drywall needs to be removed and replaced.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Call the agents and tell them 'No problems, I just called the client and told them they did not have to worry about that drywall behind the vanities ... that both the selling agent and the listing agent said they would kick their full commissions in to the cover the cost ... ' (pause while the screaming goes on) 'Oh, you mean you do NOT want me to tell the client that?' (pause for more screaming) 'Okay, then the drywall stays in the report, I knew you would see it that way. Bye.' (hang up the phone and wait for a call back).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Post Re: Agents don't want to replace wet drywall

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Who cares what the agents want. What matters is what the buyer wants.
    Not a better response to be stated.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com