Jon mackay Guest

Default Combustion air in small room with open ceiling

This furnace is a 100,000 BTU unit. The room size is only 7.5' x 6' but there is no ceiling, it is open to the floor trusses above.

Would this room be sufficient for proper combustion air or should louvers be installed?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Combustion air in small room with open ceiling

I run into that situation a lot, and my take is that there might be enough air, but since I don't KNOW that there is, I recommend that a qualified HVAC contractor check it out.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    This furnace is a 100,000 BTU unit. The room size is only 7.5' x 6' but there is no ceiling, it is open to the floor trusses above.

Would this room be sufficient for proper combustion air or should louvers be installed?
    Yes for combustion air as it is considered outside the conditioned space and attic ventilation should be present.

However the walls need to have sheet rock installed and the door needs to be sealed to prevent air infiltration from the conditioned space.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    ... the walls need to have sheet rock installed.
    Yes, I meant to mention that, too. The paper facing on the insulation says right on it that it shouldn't be left exposed.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

OP said floor trusses, so no attic above it. It can be okay if there is some exchange to the outside at the rim board, or if there is enough air to qualify as non confined space. If not, then it should have an external air vent. You can use the joist space to bring the combustion air into the room.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Ray Norton Guest

Based on 2009 IRC G2407:

Given that the furnace is installed in a separate room. That room air must communicate through a door opening that does not have a door (2407.5) or through combustion air openings per 2407.5.3.

So, in my opinion, and the way I have settled this situation in the past, is to install a 100 square inch ( 100Mbtuh x 1 sq. in.) vent within 12 inches of the floor and the truss space is adequate for the high opening.

This is the code solution that settles the confined space problem without involving outside parties or other expensive solutions.

Rick Hill Guest

Any grilles used for combustion air are to be sized by their net open area and not the nominal size.

Ray Norton Guest

Yes, the vent will be bigger than 10 x 10. The vent needs 100 square inches of net opening in this case. Thanks.