Default Waste Line Ejector not in the floor?

Is there such a thing as a waste line ejector "pit" or container that isn't down into the floor but instead sits on the basement floor behind the toilet? This is for our 6-unit condo building, built in 1929. Another owner has an illegal basement bathroom likely installed in the 1980s with many issues including no waste line ejector pit. The association won't allow him to dig a pit, and apparently a plumber told him that an ejector system could sit right behind the toilet. I can't picture how the physics/mechanics would work. Maybe the toilet is up off the floor.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Waste Line Ejector not in the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gould View Post
    Is there such a thing as a waste line ejector "pit" or container that isn't down into the floor but instead sits on the basement floor behind the toilet? This is for our 6-unit condo building, built in 1929. Another owner has an illegal basement bathroom likely installed in the 1980s with many issues including no waste line ejector pit. The association won't allow him to dig a pit, and apparently a plumber told him that an ejector system could sit right behind the toilet. I can't picture how the physics/mechanics would work. Maybe the toilet is up off the floor.
    Yep, the are common in basements that are finished after the home is built. They are also called maceration toilets, ejector pumps and grinder pumps. Most or the ones I have seen have been a white poly tank that holds about 10 gallons.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thanks Scott, awesome. Helps to be able to type the right words (maceration tank) into google. I expect to see these or recommend them in basement condos here.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Zoeller pump company makes a unit called a quk Jon if I recall right. They are legal as long as they are installed properly.

The toilet looks normal, but there's a pipe out the back which goes thru the wall. The tank in these pics was in a bit of a rat hole, but you can see the plumbing is simple.

You can also get some tricky toilets that mount on the wall, like the last pic.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca