Default flashing at brick veneer

I'm aware of the water intrusion issues that can happen from brick rowlock sills not being sloped properly, lack of weeps and through wall flashing and the like.

In the picture, there is a roof junction with the veneer wall. What kind of flashing attachment would you want to see here? Would you want to see the flashing "let" into the veneer or mortar or would you be satisfied with a simple caulked joint? What concerns would you be looking for at this junction?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: flashing at brick veneer

That wall should have flashing behind the brick coming out on to the roof, just as with any siding.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    That wall should have flashing behind the brick coming out on to the roof, just as with any siding.
    What do you bet it isn't right? Probably step flashings mingling with the shingles and caulked to the veneer then covered by a straight counter flashing, also caulked at the brick veneer surface.

I'll be all over it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I'm aware of the water intrusion issues that can happen from brick rowlock sills not being sloped properly, lack of weeps and through wall flashing and the like.
    There should be a through wall flashing under those and thus no leaks from those rowlock sills, and, like Rick said, there should also be a flashing at the sloped roof tie-in.

Also keep in mind that masonry (which includes brick) should not be supported by framing unless the masonry is light enough - I do not have the code on this computer, but I believe the masonry must be 40 pounds per square foot or less - anyone have that code section?

Note that the wall framing is not "supporting" the brick veneer on the wall, the load of the brick veneer is carried all the way down to the brick ledge or lintels below, the brick is only tied to the wall to keep the brick from falling away from the wall, however, the brick veneer is being supported by the framing along the slope roof where the masonry ends.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There should be a through wall flashing under those and thus no leaks from those rowlock sills, and, like Rick said, there should also be a flashing at the sloped roof tie-in.

Also keep in mind that masonry (which includes brick) should not be supported by framing unless the masonry is light enough - I do not have the code on this computer, but I believe the masonry must be 40 pounds per square foot or less - anyone have that code section?

Note that the wall framing is not "supporting" the brick veneer on the wall, the load of the brick veneer is carried all the way down to the brick ledge or lintels below, the brick is only tied to the wall to keep the brick from falling away from the wall, however, the brick veneer is being supported by the framing along the slope roof where the masonry ends.
    Very good Jerry. Right away I thought the design of the veneer to roof junction on this house was unusual. This is a new construction house, completed in 2011. I see what you mean about the need for support for the veneer at this location.

So, the 40lbs per sq ft is a measurement of downward force, correct? A smaller wall like this might squeak by but who knows?

Is there a way to calculate the downforce based on the area measurement of the veneer wall?

Brick Industry Association.

Click on "Full List" then look at section 7 dealing with water resistance.

Technical Notes

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    So, the 40lbs per sq ft is a measurement of downward force, correct?
    If I am recalling the 40 pounds per square foot limitation properly, that is the weight of the masonry being supported.

Take the weight of the brick and mortar needed to cover 1 square foot, if the brick and mortar exceed 40 pounds per square foot, then framing is not allowed to support it. And, as I recall, when supported by framing, special ties are used which do help tie the gravity load back to the framing.

With a brick ledge or ledger, the masonry weight is all carried and supported vertically from the bottom to the top. When supported by framing (as I recall, I don't recall having run into this other than in the codes) then the framing below is used as a support as well as the framing of the wall itself (otherwise one would need to know the weight per square foot and the area being supported, then have the framing engineered to support the entire weight from the bottom as a brick ledge does).

I am hoping that someone has the code they can refer to as I have none on this computer and are struggling with intermittent signal from my cell phone as a wireless hotspot (better than nothing when nothing else is available).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John

I investigated a house with brick veneer supported on wood framework similar to your situation. The brick will slide down the roof if not supported properly. Attached are a few photos from my inspection. (IRC 703.7.2)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Mayo View Post
    John

I investigated a house with brick veneer supported on wood framework similar to your situation. The brick will slide down the roof if not supported properly. Attached are a few photos from my inspection. (IRC 703.7.2)
    Great diagram Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Mayo View Post
    John

Outstanding. Thanks for the illustrations!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I second on the diagram and highlighted brick sliding. Anyone involved in the transaction (insert Builder) can learn from this. Nicely done.