brianmiller Guest

Default Dryer line routing

Dryer exhuast line is routed through the water heater closet in the garage (gas fired WH) and then exits to the exterior. The water heater is sitting on a metal stand.

Any code/reason that says you can not route a dryer exhaust line through a water heater closet/under the water heate?

Brian

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Dryer line routing

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    Dryer exhuast line is routed through the water heater closet in the garage (gas fired WH) and then exits to the exterior. The water heater is sitting on a metal stand.

Any code/reason that says you can not route a dryer exhaust line through a water heater closet/under the water heate?

Brian
    On vacation and off the top of my head....

as long as the exhaust is made of the proper materials and is less than 35 feet in length and terminates properly to the exterior....then it is OK

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

G2439.3 (614.4) Exhaust installation.
    Dryer exhaust ducts for clothes dryers shall terminate on the outside of the building and shall be equipped with a backdraft damper . Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination. Ducts shall not be connected or installed with sheet metal screws or other fasteners that will obstruct the flow. Clothes dryer exhaust ducts shall not be connected to a vent connector , vent or chimney . Clothes dryer exhaust ducts shall not extend into or through ducts or plenums.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

garry hargreaves Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    Any code/reason that says you can not route a dryer exhaust line through a water heater closet/under the water heater?
    I would report this as compromising the fire/gas barrier between the garage and living spaces (unless the closet wall itself comprises the barrier). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    tks, garry

Quote Originally Posted by garry hargreaves View Post
    I would report this as compromising the fire/gas barrier between the garage and living spaces (unless the closet wall itself comprises the barrier). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    tks, garry
    If the dryer duct was 26 gage then it would be okay, but most dryer duct is only 30 gage and would thus not be okay.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

garry hargreaves Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If the dryer duct was 26 gage then it would be okay, but most dryer duct is only 30 gage and would thus not be okay.
    Thanks Jerry. Quite often just thin aluminum, and then there's the issue of properly sealing the hole that is drilled (quite often just expanding foam).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garry hargreaves View Post
    Thanks Jerry. Quite often just thin aluminum, and then there's the issue of properly sealing the hole that is drilled (quite often just expanding foam).
    Garry,

"thin aluminum" likely is not allowed, depending on 'how thin' the aluminum is.

I said most dryer duct is only 30 gage (because that is what I've measured in the past), but 30 gage steel is only 0.012 inch thickness and the minimum thickness stated in the IRC is 0.016 inch which is 27 gage - as such most galvanized steel dryer duct does not meet code.

With aluminum, 0.017 inch thickness is 27 gage (there is no standard gage size for 0.016 inch, so the you need to go to the next thicker size, i.e., 27 gage). I suspect that the thin aluminum you are referring to is also not thick enough to meet code minimum thickness.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com