Default Extend-a-step ladder

Anyone use this ladder? if so, Is it safe? Or better yet, has it collapsed on anyone?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

David McGuire Guest

Default Re: Extend-a-step ladder

Not sure which one you have because there are so many models. But about every model that I know of at one time or another has collapsed on somebody. Now that isn't to say it's poor quality or design. But they can and do collapse. Sometimes because they are not used properly. I have one in my truck that gets used very rarely. It is rated for 250 pounds and I weigh in around 170, so I am below the weight threshold. It also extends up far above your normal one story roof line, but I have never extended it to its full length and climbed on it. I'll tell ya this, even at half extension they sag a little and can be a little creepy. Thats why I keep my 18' regular extension ladder and regular step ladder. The extend a ladder is just for those tricky closet/attic entry way cases.

If ya really want one, where ever you plan on buying one at they should let you open it up and climb on first. You'll see first hand the sag and uneasy feeling right off. If they want let you try it out first, walk away and don't buy it.

Other than that, it looks right nice tucked into its spot in the truck. Also if ya buy one, be sure to keep up the routine maintenance on it regardless of use. Keep it oiled and check the pins on a regular schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by David McGuire View Post
    Not sure which one you have because there are so many models. But about every model that I know of at one time or another has collapsed on somebody. Now that isn't to say it's poor quality or design. But they can and do collapse. Sometimes because they are not used properly. I have one in my truck that gets used very rarely. It is rated for 250 pounds and I weigh in around 170, so I am below the weight threshold. It also extends up far above your normal one story roof line, but I have never extended it to its full length and climbed on it. I'll tell ya this, even at half extension they sag a little and can be a little creepy. Thats why I keep my 18' regular extension ladder and regular step ladder. The extend a ladder is just for those tricky closet/attic entry way cases.

If ya really want one, where ever you plan on buying one at they should let you open it up and climb on first. You'll see first hand the sag and uneasy feeling right off. If they want let you try it out first, walk away and don't buy it.

Other than that, it looks right nice tucked into its spot in the truck. Also if ya buy one, be sure to keep up the routine maintenance on it regardless of use. Keep it oiled and check the pins on a regular schedule.
    Hey thanks for the info.

Marc
    I don't have one, never have, never will. From what I've read about them on this forum kinda sounds like an old Jim Croce song:
    You don't tug on Superman's cape
    you don't spit into the wind
    you don't pull the mask off the ol long ranger
    and ya don't climb on an extends.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I have the Xtend n' Climb. No problems in 8+ years. I wouldn't leave for an inspection without it.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I have the Xtend n' Climb. No problems in 8+ years. I wouldn't leave for an inspection without it.
    Looks cool, where did you get it?

TeleSteps, I use it for attics every day. It's not trust-worthy, so I test each step for a click as I set it up. I'm also a lightweight, 168 lbs on the scales today.
    Only once or twice a year, I'll use it outside on a deck because of laziness. That makes for a scary feeling when climbing back onto the ladder from a rooftop. Don't do it.
    The Extend and Climb is a more rugged and also heavier ladder.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Looks cool, where did you get it?
    I got it on-line. They go for about $180.00 now. Like John, I'm not big (165 lbs on a heavy day) so I don't have any capacity worries with these ladders. I can see why bigger guys wouldn't like them but mine has served me very well. I can go a week without having to pull the 32' extension ladder off the car with the right houses.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I don't own one, but wouldn't mind having one for those tough to get to places, and in a pinch. But I would not use one for my daily use. I just don't trust them.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Extend and climb here

I hate using it at the exterior to get on roofs. On a rare occasion if the roof edge is low I will get it out to go to the roof but as Nick said getting back on it from the roof is not fun. I use it almost exclusively inside to get into scuttle holes and such. Maneuvers very easily in the homes and is light weight.

I believe they still make a 300 lb 15 footer but I have not checked lately. These ladders are just too handy in and about the home.

I use my X&C at the majority my inspections, most often to get up in attics but also to get up to the top of walls to check stains and similar - I have the rubber bumper for the top of the ladder, with one side marked for exterior use and the other for interior. Recently one section has started to refuse to completely extend, I guess its time to call X&C and see what they recommend in terms of lubrication.

Just called, the recommendation is "Lemon Pledge Wipes".

I'll post the results.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I bought a Tele Step 12 footer a few years back - works good in tight areas - deep crawls, etc.., but, the rubber pads on the bottom didn't last very long and they're kinda flimsy when fully extended. I'm 6' & 250 - at 7-8 ft they're great, but I don't use it much, I've always used a Werner 12 ft folder and it's definitely sturdy. Jus' my 2 cents.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I use my X&C at the majority my inspections, most often to get up in attics but also to get up to the top of walls to check stains and similar - I have the rubber bumper for the top of the ladder, with one side marked for exterior use and the other for interior. Recently one section has started to refuse to completely extend, I guess its time to call X&C and see what they recommend in terms of lubrication.

Just called, the recommendation is "Lemon Pledge Wipes".

I'll post the results.
    I use a dry silicone spray. Very slick and no building up of oily residue

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 07-01-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Terry Wilson Guest

I have an extend-climb from Professional Equip. (300 Lb/15 footer). I have used this exclusively for about 6 years with no problems. However I do listen for the locking clicks and check it carefully when using. I come in around 225 without my tool belt. I looked at the 12 1/2 ft and decided on the 15ft for more stability. It is great for those attic accesses in the closets and especially in the ones that have 12ft ceilings. Easier to get in and out of the house.

I use a 14' TeleSteps ladder for attics. Agents and sellers tend to like that the ladder and bag are clean. The ladder sticks on the 6th rung. The ladder seems heavy duty though it does have some flex. The bag seems cheaply made, the plastic clip on the carrying strap broke and a bottom corner ripped out so it had to be repaired.

Last edited by Phil Gould; 12-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.

I agree with Nick, I have the 15.6' Extend n Climb and love it. A contractor borrowed it once and then told me he was going to get it for his business.

I have the heavy duty OSHA rated Extend n Climb. I like it and use it but it isn't a replacement for a real ladder. I know other HI who have the lighter rated ones and they scare me, way too much flex.
    For me its mainly used to get into attic hatchways.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Marc
    I don't have one, never have, never will. From what I've read about them on this forum kinda sounds like an old Jim Croce song:
    You don't tug on Superman's cape
    you don't spit into the wind
    you don't pull the mask off the ol long ranger
    and ya don't climb on an extends.
    I had to search to find MY post on this
    Today I received my 12.5" telescopic ladder
    I know, I said I would never buy one (that just goes to show "never say never".
    Anyhow, I needed something that will fit through a manhole cover
    Had to be relatively light and 12' tall
    Seamed to be the only choice.
    Just 3 weeks ago I bought another extension ladder, it does not fit.
    Well it did fit, but did not leave any room for me to enter the hole.
    I think the telescopic ladder will give me a little more room.

Since it's dark out now I'll wait until tomorrow to try it out.
    Maybe I check to see if the ObamaCare site is working before I risk getting on it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I've used a 12.5' Telestep ladder for 6 years. The first inspector in the area to use one when the standard then was either Little Giant or the quad-fold extension ladders. Yes, when fully extended it does flex but I got used to it. I've replaced the foot pads once and ended up wrapping the top pads in blue tape to stop leaving black marks on doors and attic scuttle covers. It does have to be cleaned and lubed periodically. I fully extend it, blow out the slip rings, wipe down the leg segments with naptha, and lubricate the leg sections with a dry teflon or silicone type lubricant. Always check the locking pins before you start climbing. Really neat use is to pop the attic scuttles in garages with 10' ceilings. I use it to close them also. Everybody loves the ladder, then they ask how much it cost.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Does anyone have the new little giant extreme ladder. Saw it on an infomertial and looks interesting they say they have cut the weight by 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by stanley frost View Post
    Does anyone have the new little giant extreme ladder. Saw it on an infomertial and looks interesting they say they have cut the weight by 50%.
    According to their website, the LG "Classic Model 17" weighs 35 lbs and the LG "Xtreme" weighs 34.5 lbs. My math is not all that good, but I don't believe the loss of half a pound equals 50% reduction. Maybe the "Xtreme" originally weighed 69 lbs.

The LG "Revolution" Model 17 weighs 31.5 lbs

The LG "Alta One" Model 17 Weighs 30 lbs, and appears to be the lightest of the ladders they offer. I carry a "Classic" 17 and it is pretty heavy. I continue to use it because it fits nicely in my vehicle. Prior to that I used a 20' type C extension and a 6' step ladder.

I have a local colleague who carries an "Alta One" Model 13 as well as a "Classic" 17 and a 22. He will actually pack the 13 up one ladder in order to "leapfrog" to a second story roof.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Update
    I've had a few weeks to evaluate the ladder and I'm pleased with it.
    Easily fits in the back seat or trunk of any car. Very light at about 20 lbs.
    Is stable for my needs, of course not as stable as my Warner multi.
    All in all, I'm very happy and actually pleased with the quality at stability of the ladder.
    This is an Ebay link to the ladder I have.
    EN131 Std 12 5ft Aluminum Telescopic Telescoping Ladder Extension Extend Loft | eBay

Update
    All in all, I'm very happy and actually pleased with the quality at stability of the ladder.
    EN131 Std 12 5ft Aluminum Telescopic Telescoping Ladder Extension Extend Loft | eBay
    Have been using the Xtend n Climb 15.5' for years and love it. I could be a salesman for the Company based on the interest of all of my clients when they see it in use.

The ad man got the second pic of the ladder with all the spare rungs on the bottom.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Update
    Rick,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the link for that ladder is to a 3rd party "no-name" product, not Extend-N-Climb or similar. Just curious...

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Rick,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the link for that ladder is to a 3rd party "no-name" product, not Extend-N-Climb or similar. Just curious...

Dom.
    You are correct

Ted Menelly Guest

Funny how Extend and climb sells the 15.5 ft ladder for 309 on their site and target sells it for 243 on their site

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Funny how Extend and climb sells the 15.5 ft ladder for 309 on their site and target sells it for 243 on their site
    Yep, in fact.. you can find it many places for cheaper. Walmart sells the entire series of ladders for a lot less. The other place that is way expensive is Ace Hardware.

I have been using xtend-a-climb ladders long enough to recognize the signs of age. Usually they last me around 4-6 years. The first sign is usually the ladders sticking when collapsing the unit. I usually can get another 3-4 months out of the ladder before I purchase a new one.