Joao Vieira Guest

Default I am curious about katrina, post-katrina, and structural code evolving process

Found this online Post-Katrina building codes: Many states, including Alabama, consider stricter rules for construction and was wondering about two things:

What is the state with the most stringent structural code one can find in hurricane prone states?

What makes structural code change the code from A to B after a catastrophe?

It seems to me that the variety of code flavors has been reduced to a minimum but is there a lot of work until we find an uniform interpretation? I don't mean in all aspects but only in the major ones (I know, there is always a lot of space for interpretation).

For example: In states or counties where there has been hurricanes touchdowns for the past 6 years, the requirement is that an exterior wall of a house be built with 2x6 in lieu of 2x4s.

Please note that this is just an example, a 2x6 is not an efficient replacement of a 2x4 when facing an hurricane.

that's all the time I have for now.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: I am curious about katrina, post-katrina, and structural code evolving process

Quote Originally Posted by Joao Vieira View Post
    Found this online Post-Katrina building codes: Many states, including Alabama, consider stricter rules for construction and was wondering about two things:

What is the state with the most stringent structural code one can find in hurricane prone states?

What makes structural code change the code from A to B after a catastrophe?

It seems to me that the variety of code flavors has been reduced to a minimum but is there a lot of work until we find an uniform interpretation? I don't mean in all aspects but only in the major ones (I know, there is always a lot of space for interpretation).

For example: In states or counties where there has been hurricanes touchdowns for the past 6 years, the requirement is that an exterior wall of a house be built with 2x6 in lieu of 2x4s.

Please note that this is just an example, a 2x6 is not an efficient replacement of a 2x4 when facing an hurricane.

that's all the time I have for now.
    I would say that Florida is the King when it comes to hurricanes and building codes.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Re: I am curious about katrina, post-katrina, and structural code evolving process

Where is Frederick?

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Being from a gulf coastal county I can awnser your two questions with a certain degree of confidence. Q1- FLORIDA. Q2- Insurance companies. Whenever you speak of changing building codes anywhere along the gulf coast, you simply need to follow the money. It's always about having the least amount of liability for an industry in the business of risk.

George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com