Default ABS glued to PVC

I am pretty sure that ABS should not be glued to PVC as they do not make glue that is compatible with both materials. Is there any way that this would be allowed.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: ABS glued to PVC

There is a green colored glue which is compatible with both, but it may not be allowed in your area.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Rico Amadon Guest

A mechanical connection, i.e. a "Fernco" type fitting, is safe, easy, leakproof. If there is a concern with the existing connection, it is no sweat to change it (unless it's in a 6" crawlspace!).

I have seen many ABS to PVC connections; to-date I have not found one leaking. HOWEVER, I always write it up as "not standard building protocol" --- "danger of leaks due to different expansion rates" --- "because this is not standard protocol, the connection was probably mad by an amateur and I suspect the glue designed for ABS to PVC was not used." --- "P3003.2 prohibits "#5. Solvent-cement joints betweem different types of plastic pipe."

It turns out that this is allowed in my area. An approved glue was used on the install. PVC pipe has become much cheaper than ABS as is uses less oil. I was told by the local building inspector that I will be seeing more of this as plumbers are using up remaining ABS as they are converting to PVC products.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    It turns out that this is allowed in my area. An approved glue was used on the install. PVC pipe has become much cheaper than ABS as is uses less oil. I was told by the local building inspector that I will be seeing more of this as plumbers are using up remaining ABS as they are converting to PVC products.
    Trent,

That is interesting. Since ABS is the primary DWV down here as well, I wonder if we will start seeing more PVC as well.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Trent,

That is interesting. Since ABS is the primary DWV down here as well, I wonder if we will start seeing more PVC as well.
    Yea ABS is what has been used aroud here since cast iron and galvanized pipe. This is the fist time that I have even seen PVC DWV pipe being used around here.

Stephen McSpadden Guest

Some building authorities allow it in limited amounts. The special glue typically works OK if done right but the joint is not a true chemically welded connection. Using the same material with the proper primer and solvent with chemically weld the joint, the two parts will melt together and the joint transforms into a single, seamless piece; it ain't gonna leak!
    When I find an ABS to PVC connection I make additional modification recommendations to help deter possible leaks, e.g.: caulk the joint, use 4 self-tapping sheet metal screws installed around the perimeter, and cover the whole mess with at least three wraps of two colors of duct tape!............(just kidding!,this is the comic relief part of the show!)

Bert de Haan Guest

I have seen black elbows that were thinner than ABS and had PVC marked on them.