Thread: vomit smell

Kevin Stenson Guest

Default vomit smell

Client says the house smells like vomit/urine.
    I did not smell it
    i welcome any suggestions on what it could be

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Kevin Stenson; 07-01-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: vomit smell

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stenson View Post
    I did not smell it
    Is there a question in here somewhere?

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

A visual inspection will not pick up ol factory cues. Though, with a client making comments like that, I'd be on the lookout for the place being a genuine POS.

I did not smell it
    Have her wash her hair, brush her teeth and change her drawers then see if she still smells it

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Have her wash her hair, brush her teeth and change her drawers then see if she still smells it

....Too funny!

Stinky cheese, is my guess.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Could be a "CAT" box?

I did not smell it
    Lucky you.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Phil Brody Guest

Don't they have distinctly different smell ? Maybe she changed her mind about the purchase.

I had a call like that yesterday too. I recomended she put a gallon of water in the laundry room drain and call me if that didn't work.

Darrel Hood Guest

I recently had a call about the smell in a strip center shop. My first thoughts were floor drains, AC coil pan, toilet leak etc. What I found was the fire sprinkler system plumbing in a closet, with the smell coming from the air gap. We poured in water and a little vegetable oil. Three days later the smell was gone.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I did not smell it
    i welcome any suggestions on what it could be
    First, the obvious - if both there at same time, and client smelled it but inspector didn't, perhaps client was smelling the INSPECTOR (who has grown accustomed to his/her "own stink"). Suggesting stink was from client or that client needed to clean self doesn't make sense - the inspector claims to have NOT smelled the odors that the client complained of - not the other way around. Next, perhaps the INSPECTOR's sense of "smell" is compromised, acutely or chronic - see doctor and get checked out.

Nearby active or former Landfill, waste transfer station, lot/garage for garbage haulers; garbage incinerator; waste water treatment facility; recent "big tunnel" fire/incident location of late news mention? Perhaps one of those - conditions have to be right to catch a "wiff" situations. Hard to figure from your brief post and recent edit - if you BOTH were there at the same time.

Vomit & Urine, perhaps, human or other source.
    Decomposing carrion.
    Bird, Bat, Vermin infestation.
    Roach infestation? (some describe that particular, and distinctive "smell" of an infestation as such (combination of urine & vomit) when otherwise unfamiliar previously).
    Swarm/infestation of box elder bugs or chinese "lady bugs" some recently smashed (tell-tale red smear stains for the former, bright orange for the later)?

Been a while since I compared "stink bug" scents, can't remember the range of various "stinks" and my sense of smell hasn't been what it once was for quite some time.

Wood's light and misting, such deposits will flouresece.
    Public Heath inspection, HVAC and Plumbing systems may produce results.

Water source? was home winterized? plumbing system sanitized after restoration of power/flow? Septic inspected/serviced?

Be sure to check to see that all commodes are tight to the floor otherwise sewer gas can enter the residence from a damaged wax seal. If there is septic failure this can really be bad. The whole place will need to be raised and rebuilt some where else. For those who take everything too seriously that was a factious comment. No pun intended.

H.G.'s already touched on it, but maybe a visit at night w/a uv light could uh ... "shed some light".

"the relentless pursuit of perfection"

I know that this thread is a couple of months old now but I just took the time to read it and thought I would throw in my opinion.
    Were there any Gingko trees nearby? The fruit of the gingko tree has an unpleasant odor that is much like that of vomit.
    I have also found that certain shrubs such as boxwoods produce a strong smell similar to cat urine. I have had a number of clients comment on the odor of boxwoods in the past.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Just three months late on this... Could it be shrews - which eat mice. Supposedly their smell is horrible. Rx get pest company if others smell this or smell persists.