Tech 9 Home Inspections Guest

Default Do you see a problem?

Washer and dryer outlets, vent etc. Doesn't look right. Diy, or contractor?

Thanks,

Picture 011.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Do you see a problem?

240 volt outlet for the dryer on the right, washing machine hookup and drain line in the center, and clothes dryer exhaust on the left. Hopefully the clothes dryer will have a long chord. But if a stackable unit goes in, there may not be any problems.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    240 volt outlet for the dryer on the right, washing machine hookup and drain line in the center, and clothes dryer exhaust on the left. Hopefully the clothes dryer will have a long chord. But if a stackable unit goes in, there may not be any problems.

Those were my thoughts, its just that if the dryer is a front loader
    the door may not open fully, therefore the washing machine would need to be moved over. The hoses for the washing machine might not reach either. I did mention a stackable to the clients as a possible fix.

Jon Scott Guest

It's an odd setup, but it will work. As stated before, either stack kit will have to be installed or one of the doors will have to be switched (washer and dryer door can be. Problem, is the seals on the washer. If not done right will leak water. It's a common problem with front loaders). From the picture it looks like stacking would be the best bet.

This is actually something I've seen in my area a lot, the only issue I have ran into is there isn't room to stack (Cabinets, racking). For the most part, this shouldn't be an issue with the Front Loaders. This is why I like Top Mounts.

Jon Scott Guest

Added info -

Looking at the picture again, the biggest issue isn't even the power cord, vent for the dryer or switching the doors. Look at where the hot and cold supply is, with the drain sticking that high up. The issue that could come up is the drain hose might not go down enough to keep the hose in the drain, zip tie or something along those lines will have be in place to keep the drain hose in the drain, or else it will pop out and the water in the washer will drain onto the floor and then into the basement/crawlspace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Scott View Post
    Added info -

Looking at the picture again, the biggest issue isn't even the power cord, vent for the dryer or switching the doors. Look at where the hot and cold supply is, with the drain sticking that high up. The issue that could come up is the drain hose might not go down enough to keep the hose in the drain, zip tie or something along those lines will have be in place to keep the drain hose in the drain, or else it will pop out and the water in the washer will drain onto the floor and then into the basement/crawlspace.
    The opening for the drain, if I recall was small in diameter. 1 1/2". Its possible the drain hose may not fit. If it does there will be no air gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Scott View Post
    Added info -

If the washing machine was moved over it could interfere with the door opening, perhaps causing it to bounce back injuring a body part.

Jon Scott Guest

that is a huge issue then, the drain pipe on the washer is very flexible, but needs to go into the drain no less then three inches to maintain the drain hose to stay in the pipe. The drain hose is roughly an inch to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Another thing to look at to.

Jon Scott Guest

washes and dryer is roughly 27 to 29 inches from back to front, just depends on the manufacturer. These systems can be issues in almost all mud rooms.

"The opening for the drain, if I recall was small in diameter. 1 1/2"..."

The washer drain should be 2", not 1 1/2"

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

James Duffin Guest

It looks like to me they meant for the washer and dryer to go on the wall with the washer box and to get the dryer vent on an outside wall they put it where it is. I don't see a problem with what is shown in the picture. The washer drain looks to be 2" when the pic is blown up.

I don't see an issue with the drain line, it looks like 2" to me (but I wasn't there). I also don't understand what Jon is worried about with the drain. It looks like its only sticking up an inch or so - should not be a problem.

Since you have no idea what type of washer and dryer are planned for this space, I would refrain from saying that the set up is wrong (IMHO). A stacking unit would work just fine there.

Jon Scott Guest

Jack - The information I gave was based off the fact if there was going to be Front Loaders. I was giving information to help better understand an issue, and the cap between the pipe and the top of the opening doesn't allow much room for the drain hose for either a Front Loader or Top Loader. Front Loaders have very flexible hoses for the drain and Top Loaders have roughly a solid four inch straight hose before the flexible section (Worked for Lowe's Delivery for four years, it's information I know first hand). I wasn't giving information to be used on a report, just simply giving information to help the HI understand the setup better.

As you said, without actually being there it's hard to judge rather or not if an issue will come up or not.

I personally tell clients about the setup of the laundry room, what kind of washer and dryer the area will allow or won't allow. I don't put it in the report (it's not really our job to tell people, it's just something I add to help people). The more information we give people the better off they are.

Thanks.

Jon,
    OK got it, thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech 9 Home Inspections View Post
    Washer and dryer outlets, vent etc. Doesn't look right. Diy, or contractor?

Thanks,

Picture 011.jpg

Did the Washing Machine Outlet Box have a center drain? It appears to have space for one.

Certainly is a strange configuration, what with the locations swapped back and forth, etc.

The dryer receptacle does not have a proper cover on it.

What is that black thing to the right and below the clothes washer box?

Typically, the clothes washer drain and standpipe is located in the center of the clothes washer box, and I think I see it there - it sure does look to be 2" in the photo.

The cold water supply looks to be turned toward the side of the box and not facing straight forward.

Typically, the clothes dryer and clothes washer receptacles are higher.

None of the above, though, indicates it is a DIYer, could very well be a builder and that is just the way he does it (for lack of knowledge of locations for better use?).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Certainly is a strange configuration, what with the locations swapped back and forth, etc.

The dryer receptacle does not have a proper cover on it.

What is that black thing to the right and below the clothes washer box?

Typically, the clothes washer drain and standpipe is located in the center of the clothes washer box, and I think I see it there - it sure does look to be 2" in the photo.

The cold water supply looks to be turned toward the side of the box and not facing straight forward.

Typically, the clothes dryer and clothes washer receptacles are higher.

None of the above, though, indicates it is a DIYer, could very well be a builder and that is just the way he does it (for lack of knowledge of locations for better use?).
    If I remember correctly, its the clean out for the drain.

Thanks to everyone, for your input.

Tech 9 Home Inspections