Tim Bruns Guest

Default Old remodeler, New to Inspections

I've been reading through many topics and replies. I find it very refreshing to see genuine respect given to each question. This is the professionalism I am looking for in a "Support Group". No matter how much we think we know, we can always use a little help from our friends. Thanks.

As my title implies, I have been around a while in home construction and the last 15 years in home remodeling. I am looking forward to spending more time in the HI business. As they say, "when you can't do it any more - you teach". (However, I'm not planning on giving up my remodeling business just yet.)

I'm in Hillside, IL. Just 11 miles west of Chicago. Hillside is a small town, surrounded my many bigger communities, with lots of homes for sale. I guess if I can't make it here, I can't make it anywhere.

I love sports, especially kids sports - Baseball, Football, and even soccer.
    I'm a baseball umpire and football referee for all levels through high school. So I do keep active. (By the way, I have 6 kids and 5 grand children.)

Well, I guess this is more than you needed for an introduction.
    Thanks again.

Tim Bruns

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Old remodeler, New to Inspections

Tim,

Welcome to the board.

With all those kids and that experience you probably don't have a chip on your shoulder and will fit into this board nicely.

Jump in anytime.

Welcome to the board, Tim. If you like baseball (and you listed that first among things you like) then you are OK with me. Having endured the abuse that comes with being an umpire will come in handy in this job.

You have the right attitude - no one knows everything about home inspecting (except Jerry P) and we are always learning something new. This is a great place to get a question answered or to learn from someone else's questions, mistakes or problems.

Looking forward to your contributions.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Welcome to the board.

IMO an extensive construction background - especially as a contractor - is both a blessing and curse in this business. For starters, your mindset has to change from "does it (appear) to work"' to "is it right"... many of the problems you will see, over and over, result from the difference. ("Venting that bathroom fan in the attic won't cause problems tomorrow, but in five years...)".

So for many contractors - especially those who "learned on the job" - it's sort of like first starting to read the JLC: you discover that so many things you have been doing, for so long, are so wrong - despite the fact that "everybody has always done it that way".

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-07-2007 at 01:45 AM.