Thread: Chimney Leak?

Jerry Mothershead Guest

Default Chimney Leak?

New house. Huge rainstorm over weekend. Now I have one half of one side of chmney that is moist all the way up to the top. Darn near a straight line. Flue is totally dry inside, as are all inside walls. The builder has said this is nothing. I don't buy it. I am thinking that I must have a chimney crown separation and water has been introduced between the flue and the brick veneer. Has anyone ever seen anything like this, what is it, and what should be done about it. Thanks in advance. Please respond to my email at usna1974@cox.net.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Chimney Leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Mothershead View Post
    New house. Huge rainstorm over weekend. Now I have one half of one side of chmney that is moist all the way up to the top. Darn near a straight line. Flue is totally dry inside, as are all inside walls. The builder has said this is nothing. I don't buy it. I am thinking that I must have a chimney crown separation and water has been introduced between the flue and the brick veneer. Has anyone ever seen anything like this, what is it, and what should be done about it. Thanks in advance. Please respond to my email at usna1974@cox.net.
    I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the chimney has a metal crown/cap on it or is it a masonry crown? I agree that water is seeping in somewhere.

Is that a CMU(concrete block) chimney, tile liner with brick veneer? or is it a brick chimney with a terracotta tile liner? Or is it a metal flue inside a brick chimney?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hi Jerry,

Although you requested a reply to your email, since this forum shares opinions between members, which somtimes brings more to light than if all responses were private, I will post here for all to peruse, and send you a copy also. I recommend that you visit this site to get all opinions in the event some to not copy to your email address.

From what I can see in the photo, it looks like the water mark is originating at the roof to chimney transition, where there is most probably flashing. Because you state that the inside is dry, with no signs of water intrusion, I am assuming there is flashing.

If water hitting the flashing is being deflected towards the outside of the chimney and running down, I would expect to see a watermark similar to what is shown. I don't think it is originating at the crown; there is no watermark at the crown.

The only thing that I see that causes me doubt is: why would there be a watermark, and the rest of the elevation dry? The only explanation I can think of is that the rain was wind driven from the far side of the roof.

Please remember that you are there and I am here, so my opinion is based on limited information. Now if I wanted to be sure, I would get on the roof with a hose, or look at it while it is raining, to see what it is doing.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Take a look at the left side of house, they had a driving rain coming from the side and thats the way its drying. There is wet siding there too

When I say siding I mean bricks of course.

I see nothing on the left side.

Jerry, remediating water intrusion is a game of detectives. Sometimes you have to look at a problem from outside the box, and eleiminate the most obvious.

Like I said, you have to either try to recreate what is happening, watch it when it is doing whatever ir is doing (so get out your ladder and the next time you have a torrential storm, get up on the roof). Or simply begin the process of elimination.

If you think there is separation at the flue/crown transition, get up there and look, or run the hose on it when it is dry, and see if the watermark appears, or start eliminate the most obvious.

Start with a crown flashing that covers the entire crown, and returns 2" (or more) down the sides. I prefer stainless steel because rust stains can give you a stomach ache.

As far as the flashing is concerned at the roofline/chimney; look at it and see if it can be a cause. If so alter or correct it.

I almost forgot the most important part... my fee. When I was in Ontario, I had these french fries covered with cheese. I can't remember what it was called. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to ship me one serving. Ey.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It's been driving me crazy! XXXXXXX!!! Send me XXXXXX!

I'm a XXXXXXX for XXXXXXX!

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 07-11-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: oops

Ted Menelly Guest

The chimney looks pretty wet to me at the top unless it is my computer but I doubt it. Did we establish how long ago it rained. It does look more wet where the water runs down the roof and hits the chimney but again it is wet at the top as well.If it rained last night then it would still be wet as the mortar and brick does hold water. Is the water getting in at that flashing on the upper side of the chimney? Well I guess no one will know until they get up there and check it out.As far as wet chimnys the next day after rain and the rest of the home is relatively dry, it is not uncommon. The home is losing energy through the side wall of the home but the chimney has a barrier between the outside and the interior of the home as in double layers of brick wrapping the chimney and the temp staying more constant in the chimney and the moisture not drying from the briock and mortar as fast etc etc etc etc.

Not an uncommon affect ...... but it could be a number of reasons why but I would almost bet on the last part of my comment as not being unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    It's been driving me crazy! POUTAIN!!! Send me poutain!

I'm a poutan for poutain!
    And they told you you were just eating french fries coated with cheese? Haha.

BTW, you are craving some "Poutine".
    "Poutain (de merde)" is something entirely different, not nice. Vive le difference, n'est pas?

BTW, re: the chimney. There is a puddle on the walkway bottom right. Recent blowing rain, wet bricks. How is she looking today?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    And they told you you were just eating french fries coated with cheese? Haha.

BTW, you are craving some "Poutine".
    "Poutain (de merde)" is something entirely different, not nice. Vive le difference, n'est pas?

BTW, re: the chimney. There is a puddle on the walkway bottom right. Recent blowing rain, wet bricks. How is she looking today?
    John,

Thnak you for corercting me, splelling has nveer been my stonrg point.

Anyway, since I don't speak french, I'm not sure what poutain is, but it sure sounds like something I'd rather not eat!

It's been driving me crazy! POUTAIN!!! Send me poutain!

I'm a poutan for poutain!
    OMG... Does that mean what I think it does? i think its missing an "N" however. Funny nonetheless..

Time for a change!

Time for a change!
    I dig it.. I'm all about change brother!