Thread: New Garage

Mary Zittle Guest

Default New Garage

Hello all we are building our new 30x40 garage and want to make sure we do it right the first time. How should a garage be vented? Does it need to be? It is 2x6 walls and 4/12 trusses if that helps any.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: New Garage

Most municipalities around Chicago, have specific garage requirements that include venting. If you are in the rest of the State, down yonder somewhere that those of us up here barely know exists, then I don't know what the rules are.
    A standard 2 car garage has 2 vents typically, sometimes 4. For that big of a garage, I would suggest you think about what it is being used for. Long term storage, yard vehicles with debris on them, boat with canvas, etc. You may want additional roof vent or even mechanical ventilation.
    If your garage builder is unable to provide confident, reasonable answers, it might be time to interview other garage builders.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ray Norton Guest

I don't know of any codes that require venting an uninsulated and unconditioned garage. If this garage is detached with all wood exposed to the single garage area, no venting required. Check building department for any local requirements.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    I don't know of any codes that require venting an uninsulated and unconditioned garage. If this garage is detached with all wood exposed to the single garage area, no venting required. Check building department for any local requirements.

There is no reason not to vent the garage. Moisture buildup, excessive heat build up in the summer, just that musty smell from being closed up, car storage or boat storaghe you want dry and not high humidity etc etc. What can venting hurt,,,,,,, nothing. Vent it as any home is vented the cost is next to nothing when being built.

Mary Zittle Guest

Thank you everyone

Ray Norton Guest

Huh? The question was does it need to be vented, the answer is no. My opinion as to whether or not it should be vented is entirely irrelevant.

Last edited by Ray Norton; 07-12-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Zittle View Post
    Hello all we are building our new 30x40 garage and want to make sure we do it right the first time. How should a garage be vented? Does it need to be? It is 2x6 walls and 4/12 trusses if that helps any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    Huh? The question was does it need to be vented, the answer is no. My opinion as to whether or not it should be vented is entirely irrelevant.
    Actually, the question was not "does it need to be vented", the question had three parts, in this order: 1) "make sure we do it right the first time" - vent the garage, there is no reason not to; 2) "How should a garage be vented?" - there are several ways to vent a garage; 3) (que your post) "Does it need to be?" - no, the code does not require it.

Of course, though, it should be repeated that "code" is the "minimum standard", that code is "the crappiest one is legally allowed to do it", and there is no reason not to do it better than "code" "minimum".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com