Eric Laney Guest

Default Question on framing in a header

Just want to run this one buy you framers:

On a single story room addition I am opening up an outside bearing wall to install 11' of windows. I already have the ceiling supported with a temporary wall and the header is in place awaiting nailing. Windows will be mulled together, no studs between them. I am using a 4 x 12 glue lam header which is rated for the 11' opening. The header is set up against the top plate (no cripple studs). I am using a 4x4 post under each end of the header, and 3 king studs at each end. My question is how to properly secure the header to the top plate since I have no room above in the attic. I could nail framing anchors to tie the header/top plate seam, but how many? I could also toe-nail 16D nails through header into top plate, but what spacing? I'd appreciate any comments on the overall setup. Area is Austin Texas.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Question on framing in a header

Would a header hanger work in your project?

HH Header Hangers

Eric Laney Guest

A hangar would work on the ends, but I am trying to attach the middle span to the top plate. The ends will be nailed through the king stud into the header.

If I understand correctly... toenailing the header to the top plate should be fine. It is bearing so the only thing you need to do is connect the top plate to the new beam. Toenail inside and outside every 12 to 16" using 16d nails.

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Door Guy View Post
    If I understand correctly... toenailing the header to the top plate should be fine. It is bearing so the only thing you need to do is connect the top plate to the new beam. Toenail inside and outside every 12 to 16" using 16d nails.
    Depends on uplift loads.

May require straps at specified intervals, likely every 24" or every 48". The uplift would also need to be addressed at the bearing ends of that header, and 11 FEET of uplift loading IS A LOT of uplift to hold down, not just measly little straps for that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, Jerry you are correct. The uplift and wind zone would need to be verified to give a correct assessment.

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer