Thread: VA Inspection

Don Halligan Guest

Default VA Inspection

1) I had a client ask me if I was certified to perform inspections for VA loans. I don't see where I would inspect any differently for a VA loan, is there a special certification required by the VA other than a "certified home inspector"?
    2) I also had a client ask me if I was licensed? I explained Iowa doesn't require licensing for home inspectors. I told them I was certified but they said they were going to continue looking for someone licensed. Good Luck!
    Does anyone know if there is any kind of legislation going on in Iowa that may require licensing in the future? Can't imagine the state would pass up an opportunity to collect more revenue from the working class.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: VA Inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Don Halligan View Post
    1) I had a client ask me if I was certified to perform inspections for VA loans. I don't see where I would inspect any differently for a VA loan, is there a special certification required by the VA other than a "certified home inspector"?
    2) I also had a client ask me if I was licensed? I explained Iowa doesn't require licensing for home inspectors. I told them I was certified but they said they were going to continue looking for someone licensed. Good Luck!
    Does anyone know if there is any kind of legislation going on in Iowa that may require licensing in the future? Can't imagine the state would pass up an opportunity to collect more revenue from the working class.
    Iowa is a unlicensed state and will most likely remain so. You could go ahead and take the NHIE if you have not done so as this is the most widely used exam in states that license. You could then say that you have taken and passed the same exam that the majority of the licensed states use.

For the most home inspector certifications don't mean very much. The are more marketing bling and fluff than anything else.

The VA does have approved inspectors just like HUD, but they are not for a normal or basic home inspection. They are more for homes that are being built and during the construction process..

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 07-11-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com