Question Exterior hose bib set into stone

Just wondered if this is something many inspectors would write up and how you would write it up if you did? I don't know of any code that prohibits this, but it will be fun replacing the faucet someday.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: Exterior hose bib set into stone

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    Just wondered if this is something many inspectors would write up and how you would write it up if you did? I don't know of any code that prohibits this, but it will be fun replacing the faucet someday.
    Frank,

If I thought of it, I would probably let them know. "Hose bibb faucet is partly recessed into the stone veneer, may be difficult to operate and will be difficult to replace, should the need arise."

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

We like to blame plumbers for this stuff, but this time, it was the "stone" mason's screwup.
    It would just be a short comment in my report. Stones laid up too tight to the hose bib.

Last edited by John Kogel; 07-14-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Something like that would be a difficult to operate, and would be written up as such. also would recommend future replacement with a nicer set up so it is more user friendly. Depending on where it is and how offend it is being use would make the change more or less important

Also missing anti siphon, if one would even fit...

Last edited by Gary DeWitt; 07-15-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: terminology correction

Actually, it is the plumbers fault for not looking closer at the blueprints. Had the plumber done this then they would have noted the stone veneer and set the hose bib out the appropriate distance from the wall (w/ a backer board).

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Gary DeWitt View Post
    Also missing anti siphon, if one would even fit...
    Looks like a vacuum breaker on top there to me.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dalga View Post
    Actually, it is the plumbers fault for not looking closer at the blueprints. Had the plumber done this then they would have noted the stone veneer and set the hose bib out the appropriate distance from the wall (w/ a backer board).
    Unless there was a change
    My brother added a room on his house.
    At first he was going to use hardi siding.
    Plumbing and electrical were already set when he decided to change to stone.
    His hose bibb looked just like that.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Looks to me like the opening extends pretty deeply back into the wall, at least in my climate (Chicago) that's going to limit the potential wall thickness and insulation, and considerably increase the chance that you're going to freeze up the supply plumbing behind the valve.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 07-15-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Michael Gantt Guest

Given the quality of the stone work, the issue with the hose bib would be the least of my worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gantt View Post
    Given the quality of the stone work, the issue with the hose bib would be the least of my worries.

The hose bib is not something to be over looked it needs to be user friendly! the stone work is maybe good for the most part but the details are just as important. I wouldn't dwell on this issue but I would point it out as a defect that in time needs to be address depending on how much use it sees.

jmho )

Michael Gantt Guest

What? Did I miss something? Look closer at that stone work. It looks like some of the worst hill billy homeowner amateur stone work I have ever seen.

Assuming that hose bib is attached to copper pipe that I can reach from inside the basement or crawl space, I can replace it real easily. Cut the supply pipe from inside. Pull out the foot of pipe I just cut off with the hose bib on it. Sweat on a new, longer piece of copper that puts the hose bib outside the stone work where it belongs. Patch all the crappy missing mortar in that location. Install the hose bib flush to the newly finished wall surface... which, judging by this close up, will be the only good stone work on the whole house once I have repaired it.

If the whole house is covered with stone work that sloppy, and with similar cracks and gaps in the mortar - where there is mortar at all - you're talking about the entire house needing to be pointed up, or worse yet, tear off that poorly installed veneer and redo the whole house, after repairing all the rotten material behind it. Even if this is a veneer over 100% concrete block I would be worried about it.

Ted Menelly Guest

What? Did I miss something? Look closer at that stone work. It looks like some of the worst hill billy homeowner amateur stone work I have ever seen.

Assuming that hose bib is attached to copper pipe that I can reach from inside the basement or crawl space, I can replace it real easily. Cut the supply pipe from inside. Pull out the foot of pipe I just cut off with the hose bib on it. Sweat on a new, longer piece of copper that puts the hose bib outside the stone work where it belongs. Patch all the crappy missing mortar in that location. Install the hose bib flush to the newly finished wall surface... which, judging by this close up, will be the only good stone work on the whole house once I have repaired it.

If the whole house is covered with stone work that sloppy, and with similar cracks and gaps in the mortar - where there is mortar at all - you're talking about the entire house needing to be pointed up, or worse yet, tear off that poorly installed veneer and redo the whole house, after repairing all the rotten material behind it. Even if this is a veneer over 100% concrete block I would be worried about it.

Whether or not it is a good or bad job it IS a mortar less application. It is suppose to be, more or less, that look.

The hose bib needs repair as in extending it out and should be written as such.

As fa as that type of stone application in the snowy frozen north, they are going to have problems with that with the ice expanding and pushing in all directions and stone loosening up everywhere.

Write the hose bib up every time with out exception. It is the only thing to do. It IS in need of repair.

Micheal, refering back to the orginal posting it was about the hose bib. That is what is in question. and yes I agree the stone work is shoddy!!! no question about that. But with out being there and seeing where the hose bib is coming from who knows what or how easily it can be fixed. it could be at a wall which has little or no access from the other side. as for freezing that is easy to sort with a anti freezing hose bib which shut the water off a foot inside the house. if it is a normal house and easy access to the otherside of wall yes it is an easy fix. Once again I wouldn't dwell long on it but would point it out along with what I would assume a long list of items that will add up to big $$.

Michael Gantt Guest

Sorry guys - didn't mean to go so far off topic. Thanks for your patience. The hose bib certainly needs to be dealt with.

If I found a hose bib like that on a new construction home or a one year warranty inspection I would say a good deal about it. I would make the point that it needs to be corrected.

On the other hand, if it was on a home that had been lived in I might make note of it in my report and I would also make a point of showing my client it when I do the walk and talk part of the inspection.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    If I found a hose bib like that on a new construction home or a one year warranty inspection I would say a good deal about it. I would make the point that it needs to be corrected.
    I found a house with the hose bibbs not quite that bad - they had their flange secured to a cross brace which was secured to the block wall.

As I was doing the code inspection, all I could do was point them out to the builder and explain that when the required 5/8" of stucco is applied to the wall that it would be a bit difficult to grasp the handle and operate the hose bibb (the handles were somewhat oval shaped). The builder thought about it and ask what if he just changed the handles to round ones? I pointed out that not all hose bibbs have the same shafts, some are square, some are splined, etc., and that code does not address stupidity ... that I was leaving that up to him ...

... by the way, I had just got through going over with that builder the fact that code is a minimum standard, and as such the code is the crappiest you are legally allowed to build it, and that passing the code inspection is only stating that you at least did it that good - the crappiest you are legally allowed to do it, and asked him if he knew what was implied when he does not pass a code inspection ...

... his reply to the hose bibb conversation was 'Guess I'm doing it at least as well as the crappiest I am legally allowed to do it.', which he said with a big smile.

All I can do is edumacate them, I can't "make" them do anything more than minimum code.

Code:
    - is the minimum standard
    - is the crappiest one is legally allowed to do something
    - does not address stupidity
    - does not address common sense
    - is NOT 'good', 'better', or 'best'
    - does not mean it will be safe, just that it will be at minimum safety standards
    - and (from the NEC - I like this part) not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi, (ALL) &

Yessirree - defective and really boils down to a lack of supervision & quality-control (* anyone remember such ?)...

That's good for us all, however = keep up the bad workmanship & we'll always be in business !

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Actually, a longer frost-proof hydrant would be needed. Adding a copper extension would likely place the valve seat out of the conditioned space and closer to the exterior wall result in freezing. Definitely needs to be replaced and stone work completed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Code:
    - is the minimum standard
    - is the crappiest one is legally allowed to do something
    - does not address stupidity
    - does not address common sense
    - is NOT 'good', 'better', or 'best'
    - does not mean it will be safe, just that it will be at minimum safety standards
    - and (from the NEC - I like this part) not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service
    This is GREAT, and I will often quote the second definition. There is a solution for, about eight bucks, made by Woodford. We sell them mostly on custom/semi custom homes where the final wall treatment is often left until the last minute, or the owner/builder changes their mind.