Thread: Notched beam

Default Notched beam

Came across a built up 6 x 10 beam today that was notched to allow a 2" ABS waste line. There was also smaller notches in this beam to allow 3/4" copper water supply line to a washing machine. I always thought it was improper to notch a built up beam. Am I right on this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Notched beam

I'll wager that there may never be resulting problem but you are correct and it should be reported.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

the pic you have showing is not notched but does have the hole going thru it. the strenght of it will be lessened but as much if it was really notched. there are rules about where and when you can put holes in them, I think it the middle 1/3 that is acceptable. write it up but I think unless there is extreme conditions it should be ok. also something to look at is where on the beam is it done? near the end or middle this is something to factor into the mix too.

Last edited by Bill Hetner; 07-15-2011 at 03:45 AM.

That hole violates IRC 502.8.1, no holes closer than 2 inches to top or bottom edge. Placement of HOLES ok in any third, but no NOTCHES allowed in middle third or along bottom edge anywhere but at ends, and even then not greater than 1/4 the depth of beam.
    Source: Code Check Complete 2007, Taunton Press.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Nailing pattern is attrocious, "nail 'em" on that too, when you call out the lack of lat. restraint, roll-over prot. and blocking.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Michael Avis Guest

Beams are beams. They don't know whether they're wood LVL's, PSL's glue-lams or whatever. The rules already offered by other posters are correct regardless of the composition of the beam. (The exception to these rules are trusses which can never be cut anywhere).

What matters is that in any beam the top edge is in compression and the bottom edge is in tension and along the centerline the stresses approach theoretical zero. This is why the guidelines want plumbers and other trades to leave some material left along the edges so the beam can continue to resist these compressive or tensile forces.

The other thing is that they'll sell a SawZAll to anybody and that's why people need the HI industry.