Default I need a new BBQ Grill

Well the old Beefmaster 1000(Australian made) is just about read for the dumpster, after 6 years of regular use it is ready for the BBQ Grill graveyard.

After some research I have kind of decided on a grill made by Webber.
    The Spirit S-320 for around $499 is on the top of the list as is the smaller S-310 for $399. The smaller one has 2 burners compared to 3 burners with the S-320. The "S" series is only sold by Home Depot and has cast iron cooking grates compared to the "E" series that has porcelain coated steel grates that are sold elsewhere and for about the same price.

Anyone have any suggestions or a favorite grill? Likes and dislikes about Webber grills?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: I need a new BBQ Grill

Hi Scott, I'm a Ducane guy and have had several through my BBQing career.
    If you haven't considered Ducane, check em out.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I've got an expensive Frigidaire natural gas that I do not recommend. Far too many flare up problems for the money it cost. I need to bite the bullet and unload this thing on someone else so I can get a different one.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Weber Spirits are also available with stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars. These items are available as replacement parts. SS grates run about $75. Similar pricing for flavorizer bars. The enamel flavorizer bars have about a 5 year life expectancy because the edges are in direct contact with the flames and tend to start to rust at that thin coating edge.

Weber sets the pricing for its distributors so the pricing should be flat across all distirbutors. The big box stores cary different models than some of the alternate oultets. Ace Hardware in my area also carries Weber. Ace employees will likely be more knowledgeable about the details than the big box stores.

Weber keeps moving the control knobs from the front to the side table and back. If the knobs are on the side table, the table is useless. Get the model with knobs on the front.

The hoods are available in black enamel or stainless steel. SS costs about $50 more but both carry a 25 yr warranty from Weber.

Webers last 15-20 years. All the parts are still available for older models. Make sure you like the model you choose because you will have it a very long time.

The model numbers tell you how many burners. 310 has 3 burners inside the grill. 320 has either an extra "sear" burner in the grill or a side burner on the table. 330 has both a sear burner and side burner.

The sear burner is the same btu burner as all other burners, it is just one more burner. Typically the burners are placed, one center and one on each end. With a sear burner, they add the 4th burner between the end and center giving you 3 burners on the left side.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

C.Johnson Guest

I Love my Kenmore stainless (about $500) 4 burners, rotisery, and a side burner...If I cant cook outside I just wont cook

Ted Williams Guest

Sorry, still an old school Webber Kettle and charcoal man. Though I have been looking into building a Cuban Smoker. I believe a company makes a kit for them now.

Scott,

Try one of these, I suspect you will get some good BBQ from these.

(There are duplicates on some of these links, nothing I can do about them.)

Custom Gas BBQ Grill Made From Chevy Engine Block | Mega BBQ

Cool Custom Built BBQ Grills | thepirata.com

Best Unique Custom Gas & Charcoal Grills & BBQ's | Bobby's Best

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Lowes has a grill they call the 50-50 grill. It is a 3 burner Gas Grill, a Charcoal Grill, and then it has an optional Smoker you can mount on the side. All together, it runs around $389.00. It sort of looks like an old Steam Locomotive when it is all put together, but my son-in-law has one and he has made some awesome Smoked Brisket and Ribs on this thing. When my Kenmore Gas Grill plays out, I will be in the market for one of these, and retire my old charcoal grill, my Brinkman Smoker, along with my Kenmore Gas Grill for this All in One setup.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Smith View Post
    Lowes has a grill they call the 50-50 grill. It is a 3 burner Gas Grill, a Charcoal Grill, and then it has an optional Smoker you can mount on the side. All together, it runs around $389.00. It sort of looks like an old Steam Locomotive when it is all put together, but my son-in-law has one and he has made some awesome Smoked Brisket and Ribs on this thing. When my Kenmore Gas Grill plays out, I will be in the market for one of these, and retire my old charcoal grill, my Brinkman Smoker, along with my Kenmore Gas Grill for this All in One setup.
    If it's this one, it's the same thing I have. It's a great grill. Along with the optional smoker package it's the most versatile one I've seen.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Scott, have gone through 2 grills and now have a Weber. The best so far.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by C.Johnson View Post
    I Love my Kenmore stainless (about $500) 4 burners, rotisery, and a side burner...If I cant cook outside I just wont cook
    Many years ago people would do their business outside in the outhouse and cook indoors. Now they cook (bar-b-que) outside and go indoors to do their business.

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Williams View Post
    Sorry, still an old school Webber Kettle and charcoal man. Though I have been looking into building a Cuban Smoker. I believe a company makes a kit for them now.
    My neighbor has a Cuban Smoker, simple design that cooks a ton of food. He cooked about 30 chickens on it in about 4 hours for the 4th of July for a block party we had.

Bruce, you could be a sales rep for Webber! Thanks for the information. I have not seen the stainless grates, I have to look for those.

I did find out that Ducane is now made by Webber.

Thanks everyone for the information..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

imported_John Smith Guest

Weber 2Gold 22.5" kettle. CHARCOAL.
    Im done with gas grills. Went through too many of them and I just like the flavor of charcoal cooked food. No lighter fluid, only use a chimney to start the charcoal with a propane burner to light the chimney. Got tired of running out of propane while cooking. I dont think any real Texan would use a gas grill anyway.

I didnt see your price point Scott. I subscribe to Consumer Reports on line and would be more than happy to tell you what they chose based on price.

At a $400 price point. They recommend the Char-Broil Red 463250511 (Home Depot).

James Khan Guest

Well everybody knows we make the best BBQs down here in Australia, so I say have a look at some of the popular Australian brands. You can't wrong with an Aussie BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by James Khan View Post
    Well everybody knows we make the best BBQs down here in Australia, so I say have a look at some of the popular Australian brands. You can't wrong with an Aussie BBQ.
    We have an Australian made grill and it has been great, but getting parts for it is almost impossible. We have a Beefmaster 1000, it is a great grill for steaks but for anything else it is almost too hot. It has three 40,000 btu burners that crank out some heat for searing steaks but for chicken it sucks.

It is has served us well for five years but the burners are starting to split apart and it is time to replace it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

How about the Big Green Egg? Big Green Egg, The Ultimate Cooking Experience

cglochau Guest

The egg is the way to go I've had mine for about 5 years and won't cook on anything else. I can sear steaks at the highest of temps or slow cook pork at 200. Once you eat off one you'll never stop.

I've been enjoying my Weber Summit S-670 grill now for about a year. I wouldn't trade it for anything as far as grilling. Yeah, they are pricey but worth every dime.

Now, as for as smoking meats there is nothing better than the Green Egg. Love it and probably the kids will fight over who gets it one day when I'm gone.

rick

Big Green Egg. You'll never go back. I've had one for years. Get the largest you can, you'll want the bigger version once you own one anyway.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Exclamation Re: I need a new BBQ Grill

I've got a 22.5 inch weber Charcoal grill that is 15 years old and still cooking well. No rust! The cover is a little out of round from when the wind blew it off the deck once.

Smile Re: I need a new BBQ Grill

Scott, unlike the other BBQ "kings" that posted, much to my wifes dismay, I have 5 BBQ's lined up along the side og my yard. All do some things better than others. In order of preference:
    1) Broilmaster - had it for over 12 years. The thing I like most about it is a very large top grilling rack - it will hold 25 chicken thighs. I heat her up, lay em on for 40 minutes (low heat) and walk away. No turning! It does a great steak on the bottom rack also. The thing I like most is that you can rotisserie a 25 lb turkey in 3.5 hours and it just melts in your mouth! No other BBQ will accept that size bird going round! Overall my favorits and it is really built tough.
    2) Weber gas - great for steaks but wimpy top rack
    3) Duscene (sp) - I like it but can't get into it for some reason. Fair steak but needs more heat.
    4) Weber charcoal - great for camping and I use it for "smokin" my pork butts and briscut. It's a must have and inexpensive.
    5) Brinkman smoker - anyone need one? Weber is easier and just as good.
    Now I am pushing for the final one to complete my addiction - I want a clay pot!! My brother in law had one for years and it was great!! It was broken when he moved from Tahoe to Carson City - broke his heart.

Been the family cook for years, cooking outside 3-4 times a week. Gone through 3 BBQs over the last 20 years, and found that gas cooks fine and is the most convenient. Stainless burners, flavorizers and grill are a must if you want it to last awhile, and Webber has been the best so far, getting the hottest.
    Having 3 or more burners is important, as I use mine for both grilling and BBQing. I pull one grill and flavorizer off, add a couple metal rods over the burner where the flavorizer was, add a cast iron smoker box over that, get it smoking good and indirect cook brisket or pork shoulder or loin wrapped in bacon and apples or beer can chicken. I can maintain 250 degrees and still get smoke all day without the mess of charcoal, and with one appliance. See youtube channel BarbecueWeb for heartstopping recipes (no affiliation). The wrapped pork with bourbon based sauce is not to be missed.

Edward Loughran Guest

I went with a Charbroil that uses the IR heating. Four burner. It cooks differently than the standard grill - but is not hard to get used to. The grates are stainless steel. Wal-Mart and Sears offer it. About $450.00

Eric Shuman Guest

My recommendation is Weber, and only Weber. I know there are other good brands out there but Weber is consistant and reliable with readily available replacement parts. I recommend three burners for more cooking options. I have had my Weber for 6 years, no problems. One other thing: If you keep it outside, spend the 20-25 dollars and buy a Weber cover for it! Well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

Anyone have any suggestions or a favorite grill? Likes and dislikes about Webber grills?
    For my 60th birthday my wife bought me a DCS (Dynamic Cooking Systems) 36" with two side burners and an IR rotisserie. I use it at least 4 times a week in the fall and winter when I am not in Florida, and almost every day in the summer for either lunch or dinner. I am 72 now and except for a few stains the grill works great and still looks only a few years old. I cost 3k and over the years I have put about $400 into replacement parts. I can see it continuing for another 12 years without any need to change except for periodic parts. It's made in the yew ess a.

[quote=John Ghent;173951]For my 60th birthday my wife bought me a DCS (Dynamic Cooking Systems) 36" with two side burners and an IR rotisserie. I cost 3k and over the years I have put about $400 into replacement parts.

That buys a lot of steaks at the Road House!

Jubilee Home Inspections

After almost 50 years of BBQing I found a grill I REALLY love. I like the flavor of charcoal but not the mess or constant tending, gas just had no flavor. Then I found the Traeger Pellet grill BBQ Grills & Smokers - Traeger Wood Pellet Grills Even though I pay almost a dollar a pound for the pellets here in Alaska, a 20# bag lasts for at least 10 cooking sessions. I have tried about 5 of the pellet flavors. I can walk away from chicken and never worry about a flare up. Being able to control the temp with the digital control is awesome. Low tempsand lots of smoke for my salmon or hi temp seared steaks. I have yet to burn or have anything dry out from over cooking. Check them out..

Bob, those Pellet Grills sound really nice.... but the website you gave don't list any prices. Are they very expensive? It is definitely something worth checking out, sounds like you are really sold on them

Jubilee Home Inspections

I paid $699 for mine, but I went mid size with digital controls. They start at about $399 and go up from there..

Well the Weber Spirit S-320 won and is now in the backyard!

Thank you to all that offered opinions and helpful information.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott.... I can smell the smoke all the way to Oklahoma! Happy Trails

Jubilee Home Inspections

You absolutely CANNOT go wrong with a Webber. They are the best grills around. One thing about Home Depot, same with Lowe's, is that you can open up a credit card with 0% interest for 12 months on purchases over $299 I think. Not that you need to for a small purchase like this, but hey, there is no interest!