Thread: Range hood

Default Range hood

Came across openings in the range hood today. What could these openings have been for, and do you think it is a safety concern. I was thinking it could have been the name plate. This was a NuTone brand, not sure of the year of the appliance, home was constructed in '65.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Range hood

Probably a louvered cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Or a blank cover.

Most (all?) could be converted from exhaust-to-the-outdoors to recirculate type.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm with Jerry, it is most likely a missing cover for a re circulation setup. Is there any ventilation to the outside? In my opinion the safety concern would probably be the open sharp metal edges more than anything.

Here is an older post regarding the re circulation:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...d-venting.html

Also the 2009 IRC:

M1503.1

Range hoods shall discharge to the out doors through a single wall duct. The duct serving the hood shall have a smooth interior surface, shall be air tight, and shall be equipped with a backdraft damper. Ducts serving range hoods shall not terminate in an attic or crawl space areas inside the building.

Exception

Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.

Obviously this is an older home we are talking about but note that unless the range is in the closet if it does re circulate it will not likely be a safety issue in and of itself. I would just recommend repair/replace by a licensed contractor.

I would simply say "Install a baffle plate", "Install a louvered plate" or "Replace the faulty range hood" depending on the situation. Did you not look for a duct at the top or the back? That is important info.

A licensed contractor is hardly required there. Anyone can snap a piece of plastic or metal in to place. Sheesh. Finding the correct part takes a bit of skill, but any appliance store should have that piece, or know where to go for it.

If that is a safety concern for the occupant, they should just forget about home ownership and check themselves in to a rubber room. Double sheesh.

We had knotty pine cabinets with those same handles in our previous place. When we refinished the doors, there was no other handle that would cover those ace of spade marks, so we put the old handles back on and sold the house instead.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Smile Re: Range hood

Haha, touche John. Lets remember that we are dealing with the general public here and honestly you never know what kind of crazy your going to get. As far as the licensed contractor part in the state of California you damn near need a license to pick up dog crap so better safe than sorry I suppose.

Looks like where the control knobs or louvered cover usually are. Unit damaged, replace.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by James McKinley View Post
    Haha, touche John. Lets remember that we are dealing with the general public here and honestly you never know what kind of crazy your going to get. As far as the licensed contractor part in the state of California you damn near need a license to pick up dog crap so better safe than sorry I suppose.
    Sorry, James. I was having a snippyfit. Thanks for laughing it off.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

No worries John. I don't disagree with your comments either, but sure as the sky is blue idiots are buying houses (some probably don't know what a range hood is)

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I would simply say "Install a baffle plate", "Install a louvered plate" or "Replace the faulty range hood" depending on the situation. Did you not look for a duct at the top or the back? That is important info.

A licensed contractor is hardly required there. Anyone can snap a piece of plastic or metal in to place. Sheesh. Finding the correct part takes a bit of skill, but any appliance store should have that piece, or know where to go for it.

If that is a safety concern for the occupant, they should just forget about home ownership and check themselves in to a rubber room. Double sheesh.

We had knotty pine cabinets with those same handles in our previous place. When we refinished the doors, there was no other handle that would cover those ace of spade marks, so we put the old handles back on and sold the house instead.
    LOL, you crack me up John !!!

Sidney, next time turn it on and see if it blows smoke. if it is just blowing air means it is just cycling the air back into the room. once again if it has a vent to the outside it will not be taking it all out there. the easy fix is to cover it up properly if it is vented to the outside. a better fix is to replace the whole unit. the cheap ones make a lot of nosie and you end up paying for the quieter ones lots but they are worth it in the end.

Ken Bates Guest

Quite often I discover that the installer failed to position an interior baffle correctly, which can either direct the cooking fumes to the exterior or just towards the front above the hood so you can breathe them and coat your Alveolii with grease.

In the incorrect way the baffle is set up to discharge to a duct leading to the exterior or just through an exterior wall and yet there is no duct or passage to the exterior. So in this case you get the noise but not enough suction to hold up a paper towel.

I have had several oriental clients who did not purchase just because there was no way to vent to the exterior. Some condo associations will not allow cutting into walls. Also, many AHJ's will not allow routing a duct through common areas.

I often suggest installing a commercial (restaurant type) fan on the exterior for awesome suction and minimal noise.

Awesome inspections provided by a top level member of The American Society of Home Inspectors ASHI

Last edited by Ken Bates; 08-21-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: to add my URL

merritt darcy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    If the vent is a recycle vent back into the air the it is possible that it is a washable filter attachment. I then would suggest replacing the missing filter attachment.