Thomas Thayer Guest

Default Vent in bath Enclosure?

Gentlemen,

Greetings! I inspected a house yesterday built in 1964. The bathroom has been remodeled at some point. In the bathtub enclosure area approximately 12" for the ceiling is a wall register. My initial reaction is 'that can't be right' due to excessive moisture build-up.
    I would like to know what my esteemed colleagues think about that detail?

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Vent in bath Enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Thayer View Post
    Gentlemen,

Greetings! I inspected a house yesterday built in 1964. The bathroom has been remodeled at some point. In the bathtub enclosure area approximately 12" for the ceiling is a wall register. My initial reaction is 'that can't be right' due to excessive moisture build-up.

Thanks in advance!
    Thomas,

I'm Far From Esteemed but this Supply Register would not even make my Report.
    It's Blowing ( closed now ) my guess they turn the Heat on in the Winter and open the Register and close it off during the AC mode.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Since it should be over 6' above the standing surface of the tub, I doubt it would make my report. If I wrote anything, I may write that it's goofy, but that it shouldn't hurt anything.

Plus, where else is someone gonna place the hidden camera?

There are some typos in your post so I am not entirely sure of what you are saying. However if you are saying that the register is on the ceiling above the bathtub ... then I write it up recommending removal.
    - They always rust out when located in the tub shower enclosure area, too much steam
    - Potential sickness hazard, cold air blowing on your wet body while showering. Not making this up, have had people tell me about it.
    - Mold growth potential and rust out inside the duct run just above the register
    Granted this one is closed but you don't know its going to stay closed. Am I a picky SOB, yup.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Thayer View Post
    Gentlemen,

Thanks in advance!

Is it an exhaust? Is it a register because it connects to a common exhaust fan somewhere?

Honestly I don't see it as a problem either way. Yeah it may rust but it ain't rusted now so why report it?