Thread: 8x3 shower zone

Default 8x3 shower zone

Inspection at newly renovated condo. This light fixture is in the 8x3 foot zone over tub/shower. Cover is glass and not sealed. Only marking I could see was at ceramic on light fixture that listed it as type A. The owner who renovated building said it is listed as approved. I think he's full of it. Code states:
    Luminaires located in this zone shall be listed for damp locations and where subject to shower spray, shall be listed for wet locations. What do you think. How can I be sure it isn't listed for this installation?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: 8x3 shower zone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Inspection at newly renovated condo. This light fixture is in the 8x3 foot zone over tub/shower. Cover is glass and not sealed. Only marking I could see was at ceramic on light fixture that listed it as type A. The owner who renovated building said it is listed as approved. I think he's full of it. Code states:
    Luminaires located in this zone shall be listed for damp locations and where subject to shower spray, shall be listed for wet locations. What do you think. How can I be sure it isn't listed for this installation?
    If you do not see a sticker that says the fixture is approved for installations in damp location then I would assume it is not unless further proof can be provided. Just from the picture I would say that is a $15 ceiling mount light fixture that is common in many big box stores.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

oooooo

Last edited by ken horak; 03-30-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Installing the bathroom exhaust vent that close to the heat register was a brillient move!
    BTW, I'll bet a 6 peso note that that fixture is not approved for a wet/ damp location and bravo for taking the cover off to confirm your suspicion.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    If you do not see a sticker that says the fixture is approved for installations in damp location then I would assume it is not unless further proof can be provided. Just from the picture I would say that is a $15 ceiling mount light fixture that is common in many big box stores.
    Attached Progress Lighting 2-Light Flush-Mount Brushed Nickel Ceiling Light - P3817-09 at The Home Depot

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I too would have bet "not approved"...

Live and learn, every day.

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas
    No parts of cord-connected luminaries (fixtures), chain, cable, or cord suspended luminaries (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaries (lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.
    Handbook Commentary:
    A revision of 410.4(D) simply clarifies that securely fastened luminaries installed in or on the ceiling or wall are permitted to be located in the bathtub or shower area. Where they are subject to shower spray, the luminaries must be listed for a wet location. Luminaries installed in the tub or shower zone and not subject to shower spray are required to be listed for use in a damp location.

It's not the cheapest fixture you can get. There's a cheaper version that takes only one bulb.

I wonder what's behind those tiles?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thanks for all the great info guys. My thinking is that this fixture is listed for use in damp location, as per the specs Billy posted, but not for wet location (where subject to shower spray). Is that how you would interpret that?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Thanks for all the great info guys. My thinking is that this fixture is listed for use in damp location, as per the specs Billy posted, but not for wet location (where subject to shower spray). Is that how you would interpret that?
    Bathroom=damp=ok
    Shower stall=

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Bathroom=damp=ok
    Shower stall=
    The shower stall may well be a damp location and not a wet location.

I posted it on another thread recently but will post it again here: (underlining is mine)

- Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction.

- Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

- Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

That makes the light fixture on the ceiling of most showers damp locations ... "most" showers ... now, if there is a hand held shower: "subject to saturation with water" - CAN a hand held shower "saturate" the ceiling and fixture with water ... yes ... but is it LIKELY to ... no ... but the code does not say "likely to be", the code says "subject to".

That is a call you will need to make yourself.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com