Default Gas log vent in contact with insulation.

This was built as a vented attic, then changed to closed. They gouged out the foam and packed fiberglass in in its place. Is there a thimble designed to extend the vent through the roof with expanded foam insulation.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Gas log vent in contact with insulation.

There's a labeling sticker on that vent that discloses the minimum clearance.

They make at least 150 accessories (such as thimbles) for odd-ball installations.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    There's a labeling sticker on that vent that discloses the minimum clearance.

They make at least 150 accessories (such as thimbles) for odd-ball installations.

Dom.
    Without looking at the lebel, I'm guessing it is more than Zero?

James Duffin Guest

It doesn;t look like it but is it by chance triple wall pipe?

I confess, I did not look that close. I never see triple wall and the installation was for vented attic originally. Thimble in the wood framing beneath the roof also suggest need for clearance. I have to pick-up radon Mon. so I will check then.

Cool Re: Gas log vent in contact with insulation.

There is a stated clearance off the pipe. This is an air space. Packed insulation is a fire hazard. They make 'attic insulation shields' for use on a horizontal firestop.

This vent is not properly supported.

Get the rating plate off the unit and it will tell you what vent pipe is approved for this unit with what clearances and what components are listed for use with it.

Just curious what difference you think triple walled pipe would make. FYI, x3 wall was used for wood burning fireplaces and oil burners. Virtually never used anymore.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    There is a stated clearance off the pipe. This is an air space. Packed insulation is a fire hazard. They make 'attic insulation shields' for use on a horizontal firestop.

This vent is not properly supported.

Get the rating plate off the unit and it will tell you what vent pipe is approved for this unit with what clearances and what components are listed for use with it.

Just curious what difference you think triple walled pipe would make. FYI, x3 wall was used for wood burning fireplaces and oil burners. Virtually never used anymore.
    Triple wall pipe is zero clearance...like I said but you missed it in your haste to be a SA...it does not look like it! WAA

Question Re: Gas log vent in contact with insulation.

James wrote: "Triple wall pipe is zero clearance...like I said but you missed it in your haste to be a SA...it does not look like it! WAA
    "

Aside from your snide remark claiming I'm in a hurry to be a SA (smart A$$ I presume? ), I'd sure appreciate a reference for ANY manufacturer of triple walled pipe that is zero clearance.

Question You still looking James?

James, are you still searching for that reference to backup your assertion tripled walled pipe is rated zero clearance? Keep looking.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Triple wall pipe is zero clearance...like I said but you missed it in your haste to be a SA...it does not look like it! WAA
    Really? You THINK SO?

If this were a wood burining manufactured fireplace with an installed gas log set that originally had, say, for example, been listed to use a manufactured chimney say Model SK8 (two wall) manufactured chimney system vs. , Model S chimney system (3-wall), that would be INCREASING the air space clearance from 1-1/2" (SK8) to 2" (S), for the manufactured chimney SYSTEM, not zero inches.

Some chimney "pipe" is air cooled, some insulated; it depends.

Bob H. was on point. Those SK830 {it looks like a MHSC (Majestic, VT Cast, Monessen, etc.) SK8 manufactured chimney system to me} offset and return elbows are missing supports and the engineered wood chase "ceiling" firestop penetration is also wrong and support is wrong as is the roof deck through insulation. If there was, is, or will be occupied space on that level - that framed chase should be enclosed.

Mr. Duffin, I notice you have ignored the challenge to support what you claimed.

"Gas log vent" doesn't tell us much of anything (but implies to me at least, other than an orginal manufactured gas fireplace) - looks like it could very well be SK8 to me (11" o/w - 8" i/w) assuming, as I am the spacing of the framing members and their size.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-24-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Took a couple of pic's on return for radon.

B'vent for sure and the vent is supported near the roof.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images