Default regulator position

Brain fart, I know the condenser has to be 10 feet from the tank, buut what about the regulator.
    Propane gas
    thanks, my head is exploding today
    didn't think i'd make it out of the attic alive . Man that was a hot one. Whew!!!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: regulator position

The 10' clearance is from the fill connection so the regulator should be okay. This is from the NFPA code....

1. Regardless of its size, any ASME tank filled on-site must be located so that the filling connection and fixed
    level gauge are at least 10 feet from external sources of ignition (i.e. open flame, window A/C, compressor, etc),

intake to direct vented gas appliance or intake to a mechanical ventilation system.

The regulator does release a little bit of propane, so that is not an ideal location. It needs to be fastened to the wall. I would recommend that it be moved down and away from those disconnects and clamped to the wall.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The regulator vent needs to be 3 feet from building openings and, I believe, sources of combustion (Bob Harper will clarify that).

However, the fix is really simple: use some pipe and extend the vent off to one side by 3 feet (the vent also looks to be only about 1 foot from the side of the window).

Of course, those disconnects are blocked by the condenser unit, and ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thankx all, just what i figured. Jerry, I recommended the pipe stretcher.
    That's OK right?

James Duffin Guest

After doing some more research I found that second stage regulators have to be 5' from an ignition source. That's what I like about this site...it makes you think and therefore learn.

Attached Files Attached Files

Cool Re: regulator position

The problem with vents is not the tiny amount of gas that routinely leaks out with each pressure change but in the event of a catastrophic rupture of the diaphragm. This will result in the release of high pressure gas into the immediate surroundings. Do you want to release 10 psi of LPG right next to something that can spark? Do you want this vapour cloud to enter the building?

NFPA 58 is the national std. for LPG but it is NOT universally adopted. You may refer to it but don't quote it as code unless you know for a fact it has been voted into law. Also, check your State Fire Marshal's office to see if they have adopted it. Recent case law proves the FMs office adopting a std. holds the same weight of law as a building code.

Yes, 3 ft from openings/ 5ft from ignition sources. Now, as to what constitutes an "ignition source" that is highly debatable. For instance, Delmarva Power in Delaware does Not recognize a meter base as a source of ignition. A/C condensers do but they sometimes argue that the disconnects are not because under conditions of use they normally do not break or make contacts therefore no spark can be expected from them except under the supervision of a qualified technician, who they ASSume would recognize fugitive gas present and therefore not pull/ install a disconnect within a combustible vapour cloud. Obviously, they haven't seen some of the techs I have and they are not taking into acct. LPG being heavier than air so it would pool below your nose. I know of no HVAC service techs that use an electronic gas sniffer as they approach all second stage regulators, though they should.

HTH,

Keep the fire in the fireplace.