Laura J Jenkins Guest

Default Renovation nighmare

I have numerous questions on a home renovation gone very badly. It is too the point that after paying 45k to fix my house we are moving. Can a metal roof that is put on top of 3 layers of shingles be enough weight to crack the foundation? Also I had paid for mold removal through the entire house and the ceilings were not addressed. After contractor had left found mold growing on the interior of the roof. Are condtions too hot and dry for the mold to continue to grow or is there risk that it will spread to the rest of the house?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Renovation nighmare

The metal roof did add weight...but the issue is the THREE previous layers. You cannot have more than two and the added weight can have a detrimental effect on the home. The metal roof is just icing on the weight cake.
    If you paid for mold removal you would need to look at your contract to see what the term and limitations were and what was spelled out. Attics can certainly have perfect conditions for mold to grow. Mold does not spread in the true sense of the phrase, mold spores are all around and the conditions must exist for them to grow and multiply. Remove the food and remove the moisture and they go dormant.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Laura J Jenkins View Post
    I have numerous questions on a home renovation gone very badly. It is too the point that after paying 45k to fix my house we are moving. Can a metal roof that is put on top of 3 layers of shingles be enough weight to crack the foundation? Also I had paid for mold removal through the entire house and the ceilings were not addressed. After contractor had left found mold growing on the interior of the roof. Are condtions too hot and dry for the mold to continue to grow or is there risk that it will spread to the rest of the house?
    Laura,

Without having seen the property, it would be difficult to say why the foundation is cracked, but I doubt the weight of the roof did it. Foundation cracks can be caused by many conditions. While the additional weight is substantial, the additional layers are more likely to cause problems with the roof framing than the foundation.

Most home inspectors are not qualified to comment on mold growth; however, if it has been found in the attic, then it seems reasonable to me to think that it did grow there and could spread. I would contact the mold remediation company and see what they say and are willing to do before contacting an attorney.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Laura J Jenkins Guest

Thank you for the timely responses. Its not just foundation cracking. My new floor is sloping, there is a 1 1/2 inch separation between the floor and the trim now in this area, drywall is cracking, front door does not close or lock now and there is a gap above the doorway with light shining through. Is it possible that the foundation can give way?

Laura,

Gunnar makes good points but the real issue here is you are giving limited details and it is very difficult to know all of the possible questions to ask and what observations are needed. The roof is one component that is part of a larger system. Based on your postings it is obvious you have some potential structural issues but much more information is needed and photos would be very helpful. I don’t think there is any imminent danger but it is hard to know with limited information. At this point you need on site expert advice to determine what your next steps should be and how to proceed.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

James Duffin Guest

How old is the house?

Laura J Jenkins Guest

The house was built in the 80's. I did a whole house renovation last fall. Still mold and everything contractor touched is falling apart. I am just worried now if I should move out due to structural damage. I even see imprints in the ceiling not sure if it is due to weight or not. Dry wall is cracking and floor has a definate slope and is breaking also. House sits on a full basement and there are cracks noted there as well.

James Duffin Guest

It's unusual for house built in the 80's being on its 4th roof. I would expect a house to be built in the 50's to be on roof #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura J Jenkins View Post
    My new floor is sloping, there is a 1 1/2 inch separation between the floor and the trim now in this area, drywall is cracking, front door does not close or lock now and there is a gap above the doorway with light shining through.
    Laura, Your above info give me a direction. Is your primary concern around the front entrance area? If so you need to look at the floor framing as viewed from the basement. All the wood framing should rest on a board that runs along the top of the foundation. In particular, look at that board as it runs under the front door. Look for decay/crushing of that board as well as the floor joists that rest on top of that board.

Front door assemblies are notorious for leaks due to poor flashing details. Over time the wood framing softens and the floor begins to drop from loss of support.

What type of foundation do you have - block or poured concrete? Cracks in foundations are common. Vertical or diagonal cracks can be acceptable. Horizontal cracks are another thing.

I see that you're in a rural area of Missouri. I couldn't find any inspectors I know near you and getting a hold of qualified contractors can be difficult in such locations. But perhaps we can get close to pinning down your concern. Pictures would be of great help.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Laura

I am going to have to agree with James. 4 layers in 30 years is pretty unusual. Does your area get a lot of large hail? I suppose that could damage roofs to a degree that would warrant replacement.

What you describe in the floor and foundation might indicate a soils problem. I believe that some areas of Missouri have expansive/clay soils, which can cause the kind of movement that you describe. Without having looked at the house, it will be difficult for any of us to speculate with any kind of accuracy. Your best bet would be to have these issues examined by a structural engineer.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/