Default Marajuana found at inspection (A big Bag)

I was in the attic of an older home that was being rented by a young religious family with 4 children. They had left the home while I finished the inspection and waited for the buyer and his agent to arrive to walk though the house after the inspection. When the buyer arrived I still hadn't gotten to the attic and since the roof was 35 year old shakes and showing signs of failure I figured I would have to spend extra time documenting the signs of water in the attic. As I was crawling through the attic I found a sealed bag of Weed. What is the proper thing to do?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Marajuana found at inspection (A big Bag)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Tadd View Post
    I was in the attic of an older home that was being rented by a young religious family with 4 children. They had left the home while I finished the inspection and waited for the buyer and his agent to arrive to walk though the house after the inspection. When the buyer arrived I still hadn't gotten to the attic and since the roof was 35 year old shakes and showing signs of failure I figured I would have to spend extra time documenting the signs of water in the attic. As I was crawling through the attic I found a sealed bag of Weed. What is the proper thing to do?
    You leave it in the attic and do not put your fingers all over it. Religious family does not mean they won't shoot you over what you consider a small amount of weed.

What some would say would be to do the right and just thing and alert the authorities.

The right and just thing would be to inform the person representing the buyer that you observed what you believe to be a bag of pot in the attic .... period. Believe me. One way or another it would have disappeared/been taken care of. Pot, bag of heavier drugs, it matters not. Inform the person that is handling the sale to your client or possibly the listing agent but then, the listing agent is not representing your client in the home purchase. You obviously took it out of the attic and brought it down stairs for all to see or for someone to see. You already went pretty deep into this adventure. It is not your clients home yet. You do not move the belongings of anyone's home around and or reposition it for any reason. Maybe a slight slide of a chair or such to get to a window.

Think of the implications. This is not yet your clients home. Do you tell your client that there is a bag of pot in the attic? That is debatable but someone needs to be informed and even though I do not deal with agents I would at least inform the buyuers agent and let the 2 agents and seller deal with it.

I would have burned the evidence...

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

rick
    Good one rick...

Organic Pest Control:
    Looks like a rat chewed the bag open.

Thomas, did you chew the bag open That a mighty big bite for a rat!
    How did it smell?

Ted Menelly Guest

ratnip

James Duffin Guest

Personal property is none of my business. My policy is to leave it like I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Personal property is none of my business.

My policy is to leave it like I found it.
    That's the way I see it.
    * Did Jr. have any Playboy's under the Mattress ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Leave it alone, get the heck out, while on site keep your observations to yourself, and when safely out and away, responsibly alert the authorities through proper chanels.

Certainly you couldn't be unaware of the continuing problem, nor the safety concerns regarding such operations, nor be that naive to presume that any supposed reputation of occupants may not be "the whole story"!

Let the authorities that you responsibly notify handle the investigation, and most certainly, keep your curious, sticky, fingerprint leaving hands OFF. You have just injected yourself into a dicey quagmire of personal safety and elimated yourself as a confidential informant having handled, moved, photographed, and publicly posted the image on the internet! You may have also jepordized the safety of the family presently occupying the residence by your public internet postings about same -- you couldn't possibly know.

You are quite lucky you didn't get caught up in a booby trap, for all you know the attic may have previously been used to cache a much larger quantity, the home may have previously been rented for a dried harvest "cutting" and packaging operation ("manufacture" under Fed. Law). You couldn't possibly be sure what you handled, opened, and moved wasn't laced with poison, adulterated, nor booby-trapped with a chemical or biological agent either. The associated parties who engage in such activites are not above such - and it is not unheard of to say the least.

The grow ops, "manufacture" and distribution operations in S. Utah are nothing to play around with, neither are their harvests, nor those that have helped themselves to their crops.

Illegal marijuana farms on rise in Utah - ABC 4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

Law agencies declare war on marijuana growing operations in S. Utah | Deseret News

Weren't two such "farm" areas just "busted" earlier this week, in the news just two days ago (Summit Valley Road, Iron County)?

Iron County Sheriff's Office raid 2 marijuana farms | The Spectrum | thespectrum.com

Just what was the point of your OP? And more importantly, WHY DID YOU MOVE and/or REMOVE the suspected Illegal Substance from its original location??? (Obviously your photo wasn't taken as it was found in the attic!!!). What was your motivation in doing so? You move nothing. Nothing contents-wise, you come accross is subject to your TOUCHING, moving, relocating or taking, there is no excuse for having done so. There is no justification in having touched the item in the first place - in an attic environment you should have visualized before you touched anything - and there is no reason to have touched what you identified. You may well have interferred and/or destroyed evidence the authorities could have acquired or used in their investigation and potentially prosecution.

Your having taken constructive possession of and further having torn open a perviously vacuum sealed bag, of a large quantity of illicit property of others, you very well may be subject yourself to criminal charges yourself now.

There is absolutely NO "finders keepers" in ethical, lawful, home inspection.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-31-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Thomas,

Did you find that bag of weed on the stool or did you move it there to take the picture??

I hope you weren't spending all that extra time "documenting roof issues" in the attic snooping.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

[quote=H.G. Watson, Sr.;174273]Leave it alone, get the heck out, while on site keep your observations to yourself, and when safely out and away, responsibly alert the authorities through proper chanels.

What are you, a home inspector or the the thought police? You know NOTHING about the bag of weed, just that it was in the attic. As it is a rental ANY PREVIOUS RENTER could have placed it there and forgot it was there. All you would be doing is causing a lot of trouble for whomever is currently living there, and upon yourself as you may become involved in legal action by the authorities----all based on unfounded assumptions.

Would you do the same if you found a bank's canvas bag with a lot of money in it? Possible bank robbers? None of your business. As said previously, some things you just need to pass by in your inspection.

As a sworn officer of the court I would have had to report it.

Red face Re: Marajuana found at inspection (A big Bag)

Thank you for your posts and opinions on this matter. I had 2 original goals in putting up this post, first was to show what I had found and see of others had ever found the same, and second to get the experience of others whose wisdom would be shared on this site in case something similar occurred to others and there would be guidance for them. I have to admit that I am naïve and also that I acted foolishly in this instance. I choose to believe (because I liked the family whose house I was inspecting) that they couldn’t have been the owners of the bag if in fact it turned out to be illegal. I opened the bag and smelled the contents but was still unsure so I took it to the police and reported it. I didn’t tell the family of my findings. I let the police handle that. I admit that I was unwise in how I looked at my role as a home inspector now, and if the circumstance ever comes up again I will handle it differently. Hopefully others will learn from my mistakes now too.

Ted Menelly Guest

Thank you for your posts and opinions on this matter. I had 2 original goals in putting up this post, first was to show what I had found and see of others had ever found the same, and second to get the experience of others whose wisdom would be shared on this site in case something similar occurred to others and there would be guidance for them. I have to admit that I am naïve and also that I acted foolishly in this instance. I choose to believe (because I liked the family whose house I was inspecting) that they couldn’t have been the owners of the bag if in fact it turned out to be illegal. I opened the bag and smelled the contents but was still unsure so I took it to the police and reported it. I didn’t tell the family of my findings. I let the police handle that. I admit that I was unwise in how I looked at my role as a home inspector now, and if the circumstance ever comes up again I will handle it differently. Hopefully others will learn from my mistakes now too.
    Excellent reply to all the posts above. Wow, I did not think you would have taken it directly to the police but it sounds like it turned out alright. You will find some folks to be the kindest sweetest friendliest folks you could ever meet ...... until you mess with their stash.

I meet some of the most wonderful folks when I am inspecting their home. Of course most are so pleasant because they want to give a good impression so you may go easy on their " this home is in perfect condition, home" but then again they wind up seeing the report thru the your clients Realtor and their Realtor and then they hate your stinking guts I can only imagine how they may react to something like bringing a bag of pot to the police station.

Anyway, I loved your response to all the posts above. One of the best comebacks I read on here to some not so wonderful replies.

Thomas
    We can all learn from others.
    Thank you for letting us learn from your situation.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Leave it alone, get the heck out, while on site keep your observations to yourself, and when safely out and away, responsibly alert the authorities through proper chanels.

What are you, a home inspector or the the thought police? You know NOTHING about the bag of weed, just that it was in the attic. As it is a rental ANY PREVIOUS RENTER could have placed it there and forgot it was there. All you would be doing is causing a lot of trouble for whomever is currently living there, and upon yourself as you may become involved in legal action by the authorities----all based on unfounded assumptions.

Would you do the same if you found a bank's canvas bag with a lot of money in it? Possible bank robbers? None of your business. As said previously, some things you just need to pass by in your inspection.
    You obviously haven't a 'clue' of the 'Real and Present Danger' posed by his actions - and the potential danger/hazard to the occupants - esp. the child occupants; nor the ethical obligations relative to having made the OBSERVATION (not to mention having strayed from same by his actions/activities regarding the movement, handling, opening, taking possession and transport of same). Your money stash example further illustrates this.

It is further obvious that you are unaware of the dangerousness and toxicity of a host of chemicals and substances which can and are being used to adulterate "weed", which include not only embalming fluids (including formagahyde, etc.), manufactured halucinigens (PCP, K and others). Dangerous residue, exposure potential not altogether disimilar to those of a former "meth" or "crack" den, let alone a place of former manufacture of same.

Thomas Tadd lists the ASHI SOP and CofE on his web site as his 'trade practice'. He provides his location here as well. Although not a licensing state specifically for HI is subject to trade practices and consumer protection laws/statutes. Advertises (web site) his adoption of ASHI SoP and CoE in his HI activities having posted same and links to a copy posted on same, for each and every "page" having more than one link to same.
    http://www.youratozhome.com/system/f.../standards.pdf
    About A-Z Quality Home Inspections, Thomas Tadd Home Inspector | Not Just a Home Inspection..."PEACE OF MIND"

Also makes mention of testing for meth.

HE asked what to do, after the fact. HE set the scenerio...and S. Utah (HIS region -- 'St. George') is bereft with Mex. Cartel farming ops & mfg ops for "weed", you apparently didn't bother to read the news stories linked either. It is considered to be a dangerous situation to come across same, let alone to insert oneself into a situation, including a 'not for personal use' stash ANYWHERE in the region, the authorities have been warning folks in that region of same for well over two years. The moving was bad enough, the taking construction possession of same was perilous -- not only exposure criminally - and civil exposure, trade practices-wise, etc.; but personal safety wise on MANY LEVELS.

Obviously you're not one to follow a link or read what is present there.

The ASHI Standard of Practice and Code of Ethics HE chose to post to HIS website. Specifically review 11.2, 13.1, ALL of 13.2, paying special attention to 13.2(A)11 & (A)12; 13.2(B)1; 13.2(F).3; The Glossary term "Readily Accessible" on page 7 of 8; and most importantly, all of page 8, that being the June 13, 2004 version of the Code of Ethics, most specifically 2, 2(C) and 3 of the C of E: "Inspectors shall act in good faith toward each client and other interested parties."; "Inspectors shall not disclose inspection results or client information without client approval. Inspectors, at their discretion, may disclose observed immediate safety hazards to occupants exposed to such hazards, when feasible. "; and "Inspectors shall avoid activities that may harm the public, discredit themselves, or reduce public confidence in the profession. "

The ASHI Committee on Ethics has spoken on the issue in official RFIs. Published, for example 2007 & 2009 in the ASHI Reporter.

FYI:

RFI, published January 2009 in the ASHI reporter, Focus on Ethics column, attributed to the
    2008 Ethics Committee here (clickable link):

http://www.ashireporter.org/articles/articles.aspx?id=1591

It reads thusly (emphasis mine):

Request for Interpretation

e060329 Reporting a Crime
    Do home inspectors have an obligation under the Code to report evidence of a crime, such as a drug operation, to the authorities if the evidence is uncovered during a home inspection?

Response
    While the Code of Ethics does not directly require an inspector to report a crime to law enforcement, there may well be a legal obligation to report evidence of a crime to the appropriate law enforcement agency, depending upon the circumstances. Any determination of such responsibility is beyond the scope of this committee. The Code does direct inspectors to uphold the reputation and practice of the home inspection profession and to act in good faith toward each client and other interested parties. In light of the potential impact of such findings on the parties to the sale and to the public, each inspector should give serious consideration to reporting evidence of a crime to the appropriate authorities as a part of his/her civic responsibilities, as well as reporting observations in regard to such activities to his or her client.

The same RFI response also appeared in the January 2007 ASHI Reporter Focus on Ethics column, from the 2006 Chair of the Ethics Committee:

You can read it here (clickable link):

Focus on Ethics | ASHI Reporter

It reads thusly (emphasis mine):

Request for interpretation

e062903 Reporting a Crime

Do home inspectors have an obligation under the Code to report evidence of a crime, such as a drug operation, to the authorities, if the evidence is uncovered during a home inspection?

Response

While the Code of Ethics does not directly require an inspector to report a crime to law enforcement, there may well be a legal obligation to report evidence of a crime to the appropriate law enforcement agency, depending upon the circumstances. Any determination of such responsibility is beyond the scope of this committee. The Code does direct inspectors to uphold the reputation and practice of the home inspection profession and to act in good faith toward each client and other interested parties. In light of the potential impact of such findings on the parties to the sale and to the public, each inspector should give serious consideration to reporting the crime to the appropriate authorities as a part of his/her civic responsibilities, as well as reporting observations in regard to such activities to his or her client.

In S. Utah, Local, County, State-wide, and Federal cooperating law enforcement agencies have repeatedly pleaded with the public to NOT touch/handle, to NOT self-investigate, to IMMEDIATELY LEAVE the area, to NOT make comment to or draw the attention of anyone nearby, to SAFELY GET AWAY and when in a SAFE PLACE to PRIVATELY report to the appropriate authorities, and otherwise KEEP QUIET ABOUT IT, and tell NO ONE ELSE.

People have been wounded and killed (and others around/connected to them) for having done otherwise. This "ain't no lil' thang" issue, and not hippie or pers. use farming & manufacture (drying, trimming & packaging with or without adulteration) in the region, its serious Cartel ops in the entire region, and its a menacing and deadly business injecting OR finding oneself into the fray - for one's entire family - these "guys" do NOT "mess around"! There is no "code" with the cartel sponsored farm/mfg/distribution ops, there is no limit, as to what these folks can and will do - for even the slightest perceived threat, transgression, interferance or mere IRRITATION.

Further, this list of "top 10 causes of unprofessional conduct" appeared in a 2007 AHSI Reporter article here (clickable link) pay special attention to #2:

ASHI Attends ARELLO Midyear Meeting | ASHI Reporter

You have NO IDEA if the family with children renting and residing in the home he inspected have been and/or are exposed to hazardous substances from former manufacturing ops in the home, booby trap componants/devices, or participate with the ops or distribution themselves.

The quantity pictured (recognize the branded vacuum sealing packaging material and size) is far beyond "personal use". If the homeowner(s) and the renter occupants are not involved, not having knowingly acquired or possessed by them, there would be no "intent". The task force members, cooperative efforts at investigation, law enforcement and prosecution levels, etc. are not directed by idiots.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.

What are you, a home inspector or the the thought police?
    Which begs the question (as does your vacant profile) Who or what are you?

As I recall you showed up here in late December 2009, as a potential home buyer and potential first-time consumer of Home Inspector services, touring some newer retirement community developments under construction as you "thought about" possibly moving to the carolinas and unfamiliar with PEX plumbing amongst other things.

You made it quite clear you are not in anyway a professional Home Inspector, in fact, that you are or at least were never a customer/client of a Home Inspector either, here:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post129002

Where you make it clear that you really have no clue as to what a professional home inspection truly is, and for that matter what the Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics are, Professional Organizations, or by statute(s), in either your self-proclaimed present jurisiction, or your stated potential future location(s); and have never bothered to find out.

The impression I've had from your posts is that you like to frequent DIY and construction talk forums, and make uninformed comments. I recall you've mentioned some ambigous former or past construction experience ??? DIY, handyman, day laborer, apprentice, journeyman, arch, eng; unknown.

You certainly aren't a professional Home Inspector, that is abundantly obvious. Apparently you have yet to have personally utilized the services of one either, and it seems, remain in NJ.

Licensee Verification Important Information

Which begs the question (as does your vacant profile) Who or what are you?

As I recall you showed up here in late December 2009, as a potential home buyer and potential first-time consumer of Home Inspector services, touring some newer retirement community developments under construction as you "thought about" possibly moving to the carolinas and unfamiliar with PEX plumbing amongst other things.

You made it quite clear you are not in anyway a professional Home Inspector, in fact, that you are or at least were never a customer/client of a Home Inspector either, here:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post129002

Where you make it clear that you really have no clue as to what a professional home inspection truly is, and for that matter what the Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics are, Professional Organizations, or by statute(s), in either your self-proclaimed present jurisiction, or your stated potential future location(s); and have never bothered to find out.

The impression I've had from your posts is that you like to frequent DIY and construction talk forums, and make uninformed comments. I recall you've mentioned some ambigous former or past construction experience ??? DIY, handyman, day laborer, apprentice, journeyman, arch, eng; unknown.

You certainly aren't a professional Home Inspector, that is abundantly obvious. Apparently you have yet to have personally utilized the services of one either, and it seems, remain in NJ.

Licensee Verification Important Information

Gee.... I am overwhelmed with words, and can't possibly address all your pot shots. But just a few, maybe. Did I upset your apple cart? While I have seen you carry on like a jerk in quite a few posts to a point that a few people were considering having you shut up... I have just watched.

I think you have gone overboard and an apology from you is deserving. The original poster indicated that it was a bag of pot---not a chemical meth lab with hazardous chemicals in the attic. He asked for opinions. He received quite a few different positions. As usual, you didn't read what was said and jumped to 10,000 words.

As for my background. I think first I should state that I have never questioned your background or tried to figure what your real background is (besides that of creating turmoil with other posters, and I don't have the time to go back over all your posts and nitpick.) As for my background, I was a communications construction project manager for over 20 years, possibility more, responsible, as I have said before, for the design and construction of communications rooms for a major state owned transportation company. In this position I needed to know all pertinent codes applicable to the construction taking place, small and large, and also applicable construction methods being used. From that standpoint, and some of your posts, I feel that I have had more experience in this arena than you. However, I have never, until now, waved it in your face. When I am here I am a guest, and I approach my comments thus, not flag waving or trying to impress with 10,000 words.

I take great personal offense to all your personal slanderous statements about me, and demand an apology for what you have said.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post114417

We are looking at a home in SC that has PEX installed. I am very familiar with copper piping and standards used in NJ, but as I have never seen PEX and I am puzzled. When I inspected a bathroom under construction I saw one 1/2" PEX pipe running up from the floor and feeding multiple fixtures. The installations that I am familiar with use a 3/4" backbone with 1/2" tapped off to each device. When I researched it on the internet, the recommended installation was a manifold with 1/2" taps. I would have preferred the contractor to install 3/4" PEX looped through each service area and then have individual taps for each device from that 3/4". When I questioned this with the builder, they send me the reply from the plumber:

"...where a bathroom group only had 3-4 fixtures (per Code compliance, one 1/2" waterline can feed up to 4 fixtures). In the event that the bathroom group in question had double lavatories and a garden tub and separate shower, then one 1/2"PEX line would provide water to three of the fixtures (tied in at the3/4" PEX line) and a second 1/2" PEX line would provide water to the other two fixtures in that group (which would also be tied into the 3/4"PEX line). One rule of thumb to keep in mind is that water travels5-times faster through a 1/2" PEX line than a 3/4" PEX line (which is most
    important in regards to faster hot water)."

Can anyone comment on this reply? I have issues with it, why pull two 1/2"
    when one 3/4" would suffice. And especially the speed of water in the PLEX.

Thanks,

Rich
    Your first post here, wherein you claimed to be "inspecting" new construction residential bathroom plumbing.

You have admitted the truth in what I said.

Truth is not Slander. Neither is having restated information you, yourself have provided on this forum. You still show your location as "NJ".

Neither a Professional Home Inspector, Engineer, or Architect.

That it is apparent you continue to make uninformed comments regarding the Ethical practice and the Standards of Practice of Home Inspection is an opinated yet logical conclusion.

Thank you for proving me right.

Neither a Professional Home Inspector, Engineer, or Architect.

That it is apparent you continue to make uninformed comments regarding the Ethical practice and the Standards of Practice of Home Inspection is an opinated yet logical conclusion.
    Funny, you're none of the above either, fail to provide your real name or location and continue to provide misinformation to the true inspectors on this board. Yet you call someone else out?

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Mr Watson
    Is there a point to what you are saying?

I'll answer for you, NO.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

imported_John Smith Guest

I would mind my own business and not say anything about it.

Your there to inspect a house, not be an amateur narcotics officer.

Really guys, such nit picking and drivel.
    All he wanted was an answer. To tell or not.
    Up to him.
    I tell the selling broker and leave it on them.
    I have found more bongs and pipes than I can remember.
    Sometimes I can't find my way out of the home after I find them
    And that is a small bag not a big one
    OH GOD i'm having another flashback
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDE

I've found everything from a pipe on the mantle to a full blown grow operation in houses over the years. To me it's a case by case basis. I lean towards not getting involved but want to make my buyer aware. To me a house with people in it that smoke pot is a lot different than one where the people are growing it. The first would usually not get a comment... the latter usually would.

And, if I were to comment, it would usually be to the buyer directly and/or their agent.

As for treating some pot like it's a hazmat scene, I think some of the more outspoken on the board should read up a little more on the subject and perhaps open their minds a bit... if possible.

Watson, you of all people complaining about another poster not having a profile! Hypocrite!

Then to go on and on trying to validate your point.

I'am with the others the bag of dope or oregano, or rosemary, should have been left as is.

Hate to be blunt but the only dope here is you. But then you likely don't inhale and don't believe oral sex is sex.

Brian T Bennett Guest

All I can say is WOW. You did the right thing in asking as I learned a lot from the responses. (Not all were good) As a new HI I have only one year under my belt. I will say this, not all of us have the same knowledge base as is obvious, therefore we can all learn from eachother. I am a bow hunter in my off time and I see a lot of disension among bow hunters who dont think crossbows should be allowed during archery season. Some go so far as to bad mouth those who believe we should permit them in the bowhunting season. The point is not which side is right, but that we are all on the same team! As archers we should not condone those who rely on crossbows as their primative weapon. As home inspectors (on OUR own website) we should not beat each other up about our backgrounds and opinions. I appologise for some of my bretheren HI's. They forget we are not individuals when we come to this websight, we are the Home Inspection Community. We should be respectful to each other.
    Brian

James Duffin Guest

I'm not a lawyer so this is only an opinion but I don't think a bag of pot resting in the attic of a rental house is a crime.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I'm not a lawyer so this is only an opinion but I don't think a bag of pot resting in the attic of a rental house is a crime.
    UInfortunately a bag of pot in anyones home is in their possession. If it is under the seat of a rental car it is in your possession if you are the renter of this vehicle. In most states it is a crime to own or poses any pot of any amount. Even in the states where it is legal it is still a federal crime to grow it and or sell it in a store. Compared to when most of us were mere teenagers that bag of pot is worth a small fortune. That amount of posession is criminal to the point of not just posession but distribution in most states.

Mark Mustola Guest

I think what the OP did was outrageous and way out of line. Not all pot is illegal. What about medical marijuana? What if someone in the house has cancer? Illegal or not, would you deny a dying person some level of comfort?

We are invited into peoples homes to do a specific job, not to be the police. Reporting anyone or anything to the police is not our concern unless there is an immediate danger to someone.

What's next? if you find porn are, you going to turn that in in case the girl are underage?

If you find prescription drugs are going going to turn it in in case the drugs were obtained illegally?

what about guns, maybe they are unregistered.

How about cable TV? maybe the hookup is illegal.

I know these scenarios are ridiculous, but you get my point.

mitch buchanan Guest

Interesting post - let me tell you of a similar experience I had last week. I was inspecting a home with the buyer - a "sworn officer". I ran out of matches doing a simple test of a gas water heater draft hood and asked the buyer if he saw any matches lying around (lots of cigarettes in ashtrays throughout the home). He opened a cabinet next to the water heater and found their "stash" and several joints. What did he do? Nothing - he commented on the stupidity of the situation and closed the cabinet. I doubt he reported the pot to anyone, as he didn't have probable cause to do a search. He just wants to buy the home and now has a different impression of the sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

rick
    One bud at a time !

good or bad people all smoke weed. it's the house your inspecting not the quanity or quality of the weed. people who go to church smoke it too! Personally I don't care. if when doing a home inspection did they grow it there and did they do damage while growing it. was it a grow op? what condition is the house in? that is what matters. if there is too bad stuff then leave and do what you personally feel is right for you. it is a personal judgement call and if it is a grow op sometimes best to leave it up to someone else to deal with it. report to who is paying you and let them decide what to do. you don't want the grower's chasing after you.

ex mother-in-law & wife hire an atty
    atty contacts me to do a court ordered inspection of the other parent's property to assure safe housing for their 2 children

went to court to testify on my report findings, all paid for
    was asked why i didn't and wasn't i remiss in my duty to not mention the drugs, alcohol, porn, guns or the new girlfriend's possessions in the report

objections flew and the judge ordered me to reply

my reply was: these items have no bearing on a property condition assessment

the judge ruled: i was not required, nor qualified by any inspection sop or state licensing rules to make judgments in regard to personal possessions, child welfare or legal/illegal materials that were not directly attached to or somehow affect the structure

ymmv

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Joe Richmond Guest

I think that we have some very srong opionions one way or another. I performed an inspection this summer wherein a found a loaded gun with ammunition in a plastic bag. I told the Buyer's agent and the potential Buyer that I would have to call the police. The Buyer's agent called and let the Seller's agent know. Hell as a matter of fact the Owner of the gun came home becuase apparently he was hiding it from his 17 year old son that was coming home for the weekend. The Owner of the gun understood why I had to call, and admitted that it was stupid to hide the gun on someone else's property and he wished he had come home sooner. The bigger picture is that someone is always watching and what would happen if a crime were committed with that gun because I left it alone. When the police came they thanked me for calling and took the gun. My conscious was clear, I felt I did the right thing and everyone, including the gun owner respected my decision. And so judging by your post, obviously the owner of that bag forgot to get it out of there, else they would have not let it sty there.

Long story short, as long as you can live with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Richmond View Post
    I think that we have some very srong opionions one way or another. I performed an inspection this summer wherein a found a loaded gun with ammunition in a plastic bag. I told the Buyer's agent and the potential Buyer that I would have to call the police. The Buyer's agent called and let the Seller's agent know. Hell as a matter of fact the Owner of the gun came home becuase apparently he was hiding it from his 17 year old son that was coming home for the weekend. The Owner of the gun understood why I had to call, and admitted that it was stupid to hide the gun on someone else's property and he wished he had come home sooner. The bigger picture is that someone is always watching and what would happen if a crime were committed with that gun because I left it alone. When the police came they thanked me for calling and took the gun. My conscious was clear, I felt I did the right thing and everyone, including the gun owner respected my decision. And so judging by your post, obviously the owner of that bag forgot to get it out of there, else they would have not let it sty there.

Long story short, as long as you can live with your decision.
    Report a loaded gun? Really? Don't inspect my house, you will need to make a number of calls and you will get laughed at!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Report a loaded gun
    ? Really? Don't inspect my house, you will need to make a number of calls and you will get laughed at!
    Bring a Big Truck.
    * And don't leave your name behind

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Just read through the posts on a simple question.

Some of the responders have too much time on their hands and think quite highly of themselves. (The paragraph is censored)

I suggest they buy some of that "weed" and burn it.... a little at a time

Wow, what a hot topic. I will not comment on it but, just in passing, one of the more interesting things I have found in a home was in the owner's bedroom closet...I was with my client and as I opened the bi fold doors there, instead of clothes, hung, all neat and tidy were; whips, chains, dog collars, a leash, leather devices and clothing, a red ball with staps....what do you think was the home owner's occupation or leaning? We both stood there dumbfounded, laughed and just closed the doors. No moral judgement needed there.

Ted Menelly Guest

OK so this may not be the place to post this but it fits

I watched a short part of a show last night about state after state legalizing medical pot. This one guy was talking about and showing his new 20,000 square foot hydroponic grow building and says they are going to open a new facility in every state on the 16th day after it becomes legal.

He was talking about the huge open area where the growing will take place and then the area to the right for the "Bank of Doctors".

Like suddenly that medical pot becomes legal suddenly there is a need for an area to grow tons of pot every year and a bank of doctors lining the side and a storefront out front to sell the crap.

This has become a joke on society and should be stopped. Either call it what it is *Legalized Pot" or put an end to these illegal operations of areas large enough to grow tons of pot a year with banks of Doctors chomping at the bit to write prescriptions ...... for what? All of the poor helpless pot heads who has a boo boo or back ache and what ever to get a medical prescription to buy pot.

This practice of legalized med pot is a joke. There are not enough folks in the US that could really use this pot to have a 20,000 sf hydro factory and a bank of Doctors in one state. Never mind multiple facilities in every single state.

Call it what it is "Legalized pot"

Oh yeah. The folks all sitting around smoking this stuff on the TV last night that just happen to need medical pot ..... that's right .... they look like a bunch of pot heads. Because they are. What a joke.

A little edit here.

I have to stop notifications on some of this stuff. It sucks you right in for more comments.

Dennis Krouse Guest

If you want to be a cop your in the wrong business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Krouse View Post
    If you want to be a cop your in the wrong business.
    Some of Us are Law Enforcement.

Dennis Krouse Guest

So do you charge extra for inspection with arrest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Krouse View Post
    So do you charge extra for inspection with arrest?
    In Your Case No.
    If you are Sworn to Uphold then it's an Ethical thing.
    * if you witness someone abusing a Child would you over look it so you could complete the inspection to get paid?

Michael Avis Guest

An interesting home inspection dilemma. I will not join the ethical/moral foray into marijuana. Were I to discover this on a H.I. I, assuming I were working for the buyer, I would mention it, in passing, to my client but it would leave it out of my report.

It doesn't impact on the home I am assessing and it may or may not impact one's impression of the seller. Outside my scope.

I think one has to make a judgement call on these circumstances based on the relative severity of the "offense".