David Kevorkian Guest

Default Residential Steel Construction

This can't be the correct way to suspend a steel floor joist, can it? I would think that it needs a hanger just like wood construction. Any help would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Residential Steel Construction

A little more help. This may show what you are looking for.
    Code for locality another question.

http://www.marinoware.com/Documents/...te%20Guide.pdf

David Kevorkian Guest

Thanks for the fast response. I did find the same simpson joist hangers that are called out in the marinoware info. So that at least puts me on the right track. A lot of times it's easier to point out what is right as opposed to cite "why" something is wrong.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Kevorkian View Post
    Thanks for the fast response. I did find the same simpson joist hangers that are called out in the marinoware info. So that at least puts me on the right track. A lot of times it's easier to point out what is right as opposed to cite "why" something is wrong.
    It all depends on the application and load. Those kind of clips have been used for decades and each one of those screws has a considerable sheer strength.

I have not checked recently but in my past life an extreme amount of my work or one of my businesses was a commercial metal framing company and we built many a home.

I am assuming that this is a builder that built this home and not a home owner DIY. I also assume there were permits pulled. I am also assuming that an AHJ could not possibly miss hundreds of floor joist or even a dozen floor joists that had the wrong attachment so I will complete my assuming that in this application it is alright to use these clips.

I have hung the entire outside of office buildings with multiple stories off of clips like this where those curtain walls had a combined wait of a hundred times than what is going on that floor and the specifications from the engineer were exactly that type of clip.

Check the plans or defer to the plans from the engineer.I do believe you will find it to be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kevorkian View Post
    This can't be the correct way to suspend a steel floor joist, can it? I would think that it needs a hanger just like wood construction. Any help would be appreciated.
    Your photo shows one of the prescribed methods shown in the IRC for floor framing.

As such I would not call it out as needing something else. If in doubt, check out the IRC and the drawings for metal framing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com