Default How do I comment on this tree root?

I inspected a 19 years 2-story with basement house in hilly area. The fir or pine trees are 8-10' from the foundation & canopy does not reach the roof & siding. I did not comment on the trees. But the client sent me the first 2 pictures today to express concern on these root crawl to the foundation because this crack is nearby, which I explained to them possibly shrinkage crack & not too much worry. I do not think the tree root would adversely effect the stability of the foundation & draintile but I like to learn from everybody. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: How do I comment on this tree root?

Peter
    It's hard to get any perspective from your pics but I don't think I would have 'dismissed' the crack as, "...not too much worry." You may be correct in your assessment but being that the trees are in close proximity, I would have to consider the roots as a possible cause, especially when other cracks in the surface are visible. That would be relatively easy to determine by excavating the footing. The crack doesn't look like 'shrinkage' to me, not quite sure how that would occur.

Having said that, the footing may not have been significantly jeopardized, with or without the roots, but I would still want some further examination. I think your client has every reason to show concern. Any roots close to a home can present a problem in one way or another, Fir tree roots can be especially forceful. The possible offending trees are only 8' or so away and are, by all accounts at least 16' tall. An arborist would provide a better opinion and recommendation.

Daniel Leung Guest

I have two concerns from your information:
    1. Crack on foundation wall of basement - no matter what caused the crack, but it may allow water leaks into the basement.
    Check any leaking, damping or condensation signs in basement especially the location of the crack; repair the crack and monitor any further leaking and/or uneven settlement of the house.
    2. Root of trees - it may not damage the concrete foundation, but it is possible to cause further damage on cracked sewer or drain tile (any leaking pipe under house may washout soil, create air cavity and provide water and nutrition to attract the roots grow under the house).
    If uneven settlement found on house or in yards, call for a video camera survey to check any damage on sewer and drain tile.

What Daniel said, drainage should be checked.
    If the crack shows a shift in the basement wall, a displacement crack, it can be significant. Maybe not to you and me, but if it is significant to the client, it is an issue that needs to be resolved.
    Those look like Spruce roots. The surface roots are not major problem. The larger root below the surface could very well be pushing against the basement wall.
    If the client asks if he should get an expert opinion, never talk him out of it.
    It is OK to not have an answer for everything. Tell your client more evaluation is needed.

It is a major expense to have a tall conifer removed and it may involve the neighbor's property as well.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thank you guys. these are the trees on the other side of the house. I told client it may adversly affect property. yes, any cracks on foundation have the potential of water intrusion. as long as this house the grading is ok. I am wondering any easy way to fix the crack. epoxy, asphalt? I doubt. they might cause worse senario because they have different expansion & contraction from concrete. In addition, the realtor say some company can remove the tree for free. never heard that. I am going to ask her & advise.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Thank you guys. these are the trees on the other side of the house. I told client it may adversely affect property. yes, any cracks on foundation have the potential of water intrusion. as long as this house the grading is ok. I am wondering any easy way to fix the crack. epoxy, asphalt? I doubt. they might cause worse senario because they have different expansion & contraction from concrete. In addition, the realtor say some company can remove the tree for free. never heard that. I am going to ask her & advise.
    I've used the product that you apply with a caulking gun. It is silicone-based with concrete and it work great for filling cracks.

Tree removal for free? They must be hard up for firewood.
    That would have to be a sawlog. Then maybe. And only if it can be taken down without a risk of hitting something.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Great information. Always learnt something, Thx.

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Great information. Always learnt something, Thx.
    Hi Peter, You said you inspect house, also you indicated your location is BC Canada. Are you a licensed home inspector in BC?
    I just search the Consumer Protection BC website, I cannot find your name there. Are you using a real name?

Sorry guys, Log-in ID isnot real. I am a rookie in this field. I started learning from this site when I was taking the class and learnt a lot from this great site. I know this may be selfish. At this stage There is still long way for me to go. Sometimes I doubt this choice of my career. Suffering & struggle. I hope I can stick out.

I appreciate all the help from your guys.