Bert de Haan Guest

Default Dampness related to ants?

Hi all. At the home of a long time client of mine (construction client, not home inspection client) there was condensation on the insulation side of the vapour barrier in the basement. This was only in about an 8' section of wall. I removed the insulation from this area as well as some from the dry area. The foundation wall was slightly damp towards the top in the in the area where the condensation was. The area lined up with a concrete patio. All around the patio was evidence of ants. Lots and lots of little wee ants. Is it possible that the presence of ants is related to the moisture on the inside? It has been very dry here. The ground is about as dry as the proverbial popcorn fart.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Dampness related to ants?

Ants are attracted to the moisture, but as far as I know they don't have the ability to introduce moisture. Not unless they have big enough fangs to cut into a water pipe.

Bert de Haan Guest

I don't think these little wee critters have fangs that big. I am puzzled though. I thought that maybe underground colonies, hollowed out dirt, somehow could have an effect.
    I have no idea how to explain the moisture in this one location when even during wet spells there is no moisture in the basement.

I agree, the ants are the by-product, not the cause.
    But then again, do you know why aardvarks don't get infections? (take a stab at it).

I often see vapor barriers (plastic) lining basement exterior walls and frequently see either condensation of indicators of it being previously present. This us usually due to warm humid air coming in contact with a cooler surface. Because a barrier (as opposed to a retarder) is used the moisture levels can become quite high (trapped) and it's off the the races with water problems and all without a drop of rain.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL