r shuffield Guest

Default metal or composition

I have received some damage from storms earlier in the year to my compositon roof. It is the "shadow"or Architectual(?) fiberglass roofing, about 6 years old. I am considering replacing it with a metal roof (not sure what style as I am just starting the process of locating roofers, etc.). Any suggestion or guides would be greatly appreciated. I live in west central Arkansas and right now we're going thru really serious heat and drought. Over 105 every day for 3 weeks, 112 on my back deck as I type this. Thanks for your time.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Re: metal or composition

If you are in an area of frequent hail damage to roofs, you should be aware that many insurance policies consider hail damage to metal roofs to be cosmetic, not functional. This distinction affects their coverage decisions. I suggest checking with your insurance company prior to choosing a metal roof to make sure you are getting the coverage you want.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r shuffield View Post
    I have received some damage from storms earlier in the year to my compositon roof. It is the "shadow"or Architectual(?) fiberglass roofing, about 6 years old. I am considering replacing it with a metal roof (not sure what style as I am just starting the process of locating roofers, etc.). Any suggestion or guides would be greatly appreciated. I live in west central Arkansas and right now we're going thru really serious heat and drought. Over 105 every day for 3 weeks, 112 on my back deck as I type this. Thanks for your time.
    They make a storm composition shingle or hail and wind damage resistant. It actually survives well even under heavier hail. Not sure about over the golf ball size but then, you have insurance. I believe the hail resistant or impact resistant shingles get a better coverage from the insurance companies.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    If you are in an area of frequent hail damage to roofs, you should be aware that many insurance policies consider hail damage to metal roofs to be cosmetic, not functional. This distinction affects their coverage decisions. I suggest checking with your insurance company prior to choosing a metal roof to make sure you are getting the coverage you want.

Darrel Hood
    How is the Houston area doing. Does it still have 20 inspectors per square mile?

James Duffin Guest

If your house is red/orange brick I would not go with metal. I have never seen a metal roof on a brick house that did not look wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    If your house is red/orange brick I would not go with metal. I have never seen a metal roof on a brick house that did not look wrong.
    ?-------? metal roof on brick house pictures - Google Search

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Darrel Hood Guest

Yes, Ted, I think we are down to 20 per square mile now.

Darrel Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    They make a storm composition shingle or hail and wind damage resistant. It actually survives well even under heavier hail. Not sure about over the golf ball size but then, you have insurance. I believe the hail resistant or impact resistant shingles get a better coverage from the insurance companies.
    I've inspected homes that looked like a rugby match had been played on the roof and the insurance adjuster deny it was hail damage. I inspected a roof for a former client last month because his whole neighborhood had roofs replaced by the insurance company (all the same insurer). I found one pock mark that might have been hail damage, on a woven valley shingle and a little granule in the gutters.

The neighbor to the property was in her yard and said the insurance was going to replace her roof and all of the gutters. I asked if I could look at her roof, which she was happy to have me do. Again I found virtually no damage to the shingles and no marks on the gutters or other soft metal.

I was told that the developer had told everyone that they would not have warranty coverage with the new roof if they did not use there roofing contractor? It looks to me that if you could follow the money trail you could see how claims are approved or denied.

This discrepancy in deeming a roof damaged has left me with a dilemma in reporting possible hail damage, which is how I now word it, "possible hail damage". How do you and others handle it?

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Ted Menelly Guest

With out taking anything away from the damage to the roof I will use the term "I believe it is hail damage". I do believe that but always turn it over to the roofer for verification.

I inspected a roof some time in the past where an insurance adjuster came after me and said that 60% or more of the roof was damaged and the roof should be replaced. I only found a half dozen shingles that needed replacing . First one then another and yet a third roofer came after that to solve the discrepancy.

I believe it was one roofer that actually found a couple other shingles to replace and 2 of the roofers concurred with me with out seeing my report. It turned out that the insurance guy was the buyers friend and the buyer wanted a new roof. Of course no one could prove that so nothing ever came of it.

If I think it is hail I say so. If it is just a couple areas where there has been a lot of traffic in the past but the rest of the roof is in good shape I say so.

I never cared much about whether someone was going to come back on me. My firm belief is that is you write on the report just what you see and if it is hail damage on a roof then write what you believe you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I inspected a roof some time in the past where an insurance adjuster came after me and said that 60% or more of the roof was damaged and the roof should be replaced. I only found a half dozen shingles that needed replacing . First one then another and yet a third roofer came after that to solve the discrepancy.

It turned out that the insurance guy was the buyers friend and the buyer wanted a new roof. Of course no one could prove that so nothing ever came of it.
    I have read that a good test for hail damage is to pound on the roof with the round end of a ball peen hammer. If your marks look the same as the damage, that is a good indication that it was hail.

Ted, maybe your client and his insurance buddy should have gone over that roof with hammers first.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    One of those houses is logs and what do the Judds have to do with Metal? They're strictly C&W. Or bricks? OK maybe a brick ...........

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    One of those houses is logs and what do the Judds have to do with Metal? They're strictly C&W. Or bricks? OK maybe a brick ...........
    Eh !
    * and whats wrong with The Judds?

Step Away from The Two-Four put The Texas Mickey Down and get a Beaver Tail.
    * there's Work tomorrow.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    You proved my point...thanks! But they look fine of brick commercial buildings in the right enviroment..

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post

You proved my point...thanks! But they look fine of brick commercial buildings in the right enviroment..

James,
    Everyone Does Not Wear Western Steer's and Big Smiths.