Chuck Kaatz Guest

Default 3' gas vent termination height

Table g2426.4 says that listed cat 1 eqpt be type B vent and listed eqpt. with draft hood be chimney type vent and would have to have a 3' termination height. Is this saying that all app with drat hoods need a 3' termination height. All info I find says 1' termination height for gas appliances. I see a lot of 3' vent terminations in my area - under 12" and no obstructions with 8'.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: 3' gas vent termination height

Not withstanding trying to interpret your shorthand typing ... I believe you are looking at the wrong table, have made a typo in the table number, and are reading the table incorrectly.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: 3' gas vent termination height

Quote Originally Posted by chukaa View Post
    Table G2426.4 is from the 2000 code this would be table G2427.4 in the 2009 code.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere, you are referring to the table I thought you were, I just did not consider going back to the 2000 IRC, heck, I didn't even go back to the 2003 either. The 2006 use the same table as the 2009.

That table is not saying what you think it is saying, not as I am understand what you are saying.

That table is stating that the following appliances:
    - Listed Category I appliances
    - Listed appliances equipped with draft hood
    - Appliances listed for use with Type B gas vent

Use the following types of venting systems:
    - Type B gas vent (Section G2427.6)
    - Chimney (Section G2427.5)
    - Single-wall metal pipe (Section G2427.7)
    - Listed chimney lining system for gas venting (Section G2427.5.2)
    - Special gas vent listed for these appliances (Section G2427.4.2)

I.e.,:
    - IF the appliance uses a Type B Gas Vent, then you go to Section G2427.6.
    - IF the appliance uses a chimney, then you go to Section G2427.5.
    - IF the appliance uses ... etc.,

So, for an appliance using a Type B Gas Vent we go to G2427.6, and G2427.6 says a lot, but in G2427.6.4 Gas Vent Termination, it says:
    - G2427.6.4 (503.6.4) Gas vent termination. A gas vent shall terminate in accordance with one of the following:
    - - 1. Gas vents that are 12 inches (305 mm) or less in size and located not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate above the roof in accordance with Figure G2427.6.4.
    - - 2. Gas vents that are over 12 inches (305 mm) in size or are located less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above the highest point where they pass through the roof and not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above any portion of a building within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally.
    - - 3. As provided for direct-vent systems in Section G2427.2.1.

The 3 foot height does not apply to Type B Gas Vents.

Not sure if that helps clear it up or not.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com