Question Detected gas in water

Ok...This was a first for me. I callibrated my TPI combustible gas and carbon monoxide detector outside. I checked all gas lines and everything was good. My detector was still on when I went into a bathroom where water was running. The detector indicated a gas leak level of 6 and a carbon monoxide level of 5ppm. As I got closer to the water the levels went up. I then ventilated a bathroom for a while and tried again. The levels climbed as soon as I turned on the water. Both hot and cold water caused the detector to change levels. At first I thought it might be methane from the sewar lines as the house was not occupied. But after I filled all P traps and ventilated the area, running water continued to create the problem all over the house. Any ideas???

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Daniel Leung Guest

Default Re: Detected gas in water

I think that is the interference from the gases in the treated water - Chlorine/Ozone and Fluoride. Please call the manufacturer of gas detector to confirm.

I think you are right. There was no obvious odor.

Was this a rural property anywhere near a well that been fracked?

News & Multimedia | Ernst v. EnCana Corporation

Tainted water lights fire under gas fears

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

We have had that problem in rural areas of Colorado, but this house was in Denver.

Does carbon dioxide set it off? (you could probably test this by breathing on the sensor) That's not unusual to have in tap water.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Hydrogen gas will set off a TPI combustion gas "sniffer".

Dormant hot water heating, vacant (2 weeks plus) property?

The hydrogen gas can back up into cold water side as well.

I do not recall your having mentioned any noise, hissing, bubbles, etc.

Water heaters left ON in vacant properties can spell trouble in re: hydrogen gas. IIRC almost every storage type water heater carries a warning sticker regarding same.

Also, fyi, "natural gas", containing methane, propane, etc. in its natural state has no "odor", an odorant is added.

If this was a rural property on a well, it could easily be natural gas leaking into the water supply. However, not likely with City water, etc.

You stated "I calibrated my combustible meter and carbon monoxide detector outside".
    I think you meant to say you zeroed the meters outside.
    When was the last time these meters were actually calibrated; this must be done in a controlled environment (typically a lab).
    All meters have what is known as cross sensitivity; they can appear to detect something when actually another gas, etc is being detected.
    You should check with the manufacturer of the meter (most good meter companies list what chemical, gases, etc react with the meter; ussually a tech. guide).

Jamie R Wilks
    Virginia Certified Home Inspector