Default Holes In Webs of TJIs

On today's inspection a couple of TJIs had holes in their webs that are somewhat suspect. Your opinions please.

The hole in the web of the header is near the end of the TJI. Is the hole too close to the joist hanger?

Don't know what happened but someone went crazy drilling holes in the web of the TJI near the exterior wall. I suspect the holes were intended for running the gas line but the plumber eventually decided to run the gas line under the TJI.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Default Re: Holes In Webs of TJIs

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    On today's inspection a couple of TJIs had holes in their webs that are somewhat suspect. Your opinions please.

The hole in the web of the header is near the end of the TJI. Is the hole too close to the joist hanger?

Don't know what happened but someone went crazy drilling holes in the web of the TJI near the exterior wall. I suspect the holes were intended for running the gas line but the plumber eventually decided to run the gas line under the TJI.
    Bruce,

Looking a bit old there. Might think about retiring?

Yes, the hole immediately adjacent to the pipe looks too close to the end. Not sure whether the random holes are problematic. Typically, TJIs come with pre-stamped holes for this type of use. The installation instructions are available online. You might want to download them.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I think you've got a mess there for sure. The hangers look to be missing fasteners and a single TJI is used as a girder... likely all wrong.

Also, to expand on what Gunnar said, the intended holes are left in place and the butcher just free lanced it.... further questioning his ability.

edit: In that middle picture is the lower chord bearing on the top lip of the lower chord for another TJI? and/or is the one being beared on a TJI with it's upper chord ripped off?

Over the years pretty much every questionable install I've suspected and looked up on TJIs is wrong. The rules are very specific. Bubba doesn't usually read the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    edit: In that middle picture is the lower chord bearing on the top lip of the lower chord for another TJI? and/or is the one being beared on a TJI with it's upper chord ripped off?
    Sorry, the photo is not clear but the TJI is supported by a 2X that is on the top flange of a steel beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Bubba doesn't usually read the rules.
    Apparently neither does Jose.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Looking a bit old there. Might think about retiring?
    Yeah, things have been tough lately. I guess it has taken a toll on my youthful appearance.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

I wonder if the series of holes was drilled to be able to get a wrench on the gas line? From the "What were they thinking" file for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    I wonder if the series of holes was drilled to be able to get a wrench on the gas line?
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Thanks for that insight.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    I wonder if the series of holes was drilled to be able to get a wrench on the gas line? From the "What were they thinking" file for sure.
    Here's a few more from yesterday's inspection for the "What Were They Thinking" File.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Here's a few more from yesterday's inspection for the "What Were They Thinking" File.
    If the original guy comes back to fix it...he might think you did his job for him with "that reinforcement tape" you installed

Bert de Haan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Some of them should be promoted to the "They weren't thinking" file.

As I recall, the last engineering I saw on those holes were bored holes (i.e., "wound" holes) and that the holes had to be twice their diameter apart, I have forgotten the maximum size, but that varied with truss depth, and the twice their diameter apart also applied to the distance from the ends as I recall.

That long series of holes ... someone really screwed that TJ up doing that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mark tyson Guest

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Irregardless of why the holes are there. A truss is a truss weather it be floor or roof it is an engineered design and may not be altered without prior approval of the design professional. It would be prudent to request a raised seal letter from the designer of record acknowledging that the original design has been altered and that the existing conditions are acceptable

Matthew Brewer Guest

Here some details for timber strand TJIs

http://www.ahjengineers.com/pdf/TJI%...ed%20holes.pdf

Yeah, things have been tough lately. I guess it has taken a toll on my youthful appearance.
    Don't let em get you down Bruce, I know a lot of young men who couldn't get those pictures .

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

That first photo suggests the configuration was designed for the PVC. The short bits might not carry enough load for it to be a problem, especially since the nearest one is intact. The main issue I see is the far middle TJ being supported by the cross piece with the hole near the end, rather than the "holy" piece itself (depending on what's overhead). And of course the one with a zillion connected holes in it!

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.