Kevin Savage Guest

Default Hello from Canada

HI guys, I've just finished all my home inspection courses and hope to be working in this sector in the near future. I ended up here while researching chinese drywall and I'm wondering if this is also an issue in Canada. BTW, excellent board!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Hello from Canada

Welcome Kevin. I started out 2 years ago and have learned a lot from these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Savage View Post
    HI guys, I've just finished all my home inspection courses and hope to be working in this sector in the near future. I ended up here while researching chinese drywall and I'm wondering if this is also an issue in Canada. BTW, excellent board!
    Hello Kevin. I've heard rumours that a shipment or two of the Chinese drywall may have come in to Vancouver around 2005 or 6. No hard evidence of a problem in the west.

A word of warning. If you use this board to learn from, remember there are thousands of regional differences, and that the electrical code rules and many of the construction details are different in Ontario.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Kevin Savage Guest

Hi guys, sorry about the delay in replying, been fishing. Thanx for the info on the drywall john. I'm developing a fascination for life threatening building materials. My sister in laws house was insulated with urea formaldehyde foam insulation back in the late seventies. My nephew may have a chronic immune system issue because of it. It seems theres never a shortage of sinister new products to watch out for. Let me know if you come across anything interesting.
    Kevin

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Too bad it's the kids that suffer the worst from inhaling toxins.

Formaldehyde or other toxic offgassing is still an everyday occurance in new homes with new materials such as carpets and laminates. Ventilation is really important.

I'd like to see more HRV systems, because the concept was good, warm fresh air circulating thru the whole house. I see a lot of them turned off because the people don't understand what they're about, and I don't see them at all in the new houses.

Perma-pressed clothes are treated with formaldahyde.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca