Default "Supra Key" inconsistancy of whom can get one

Many times over the past year and a half of doing inspections the subject of of "the Supra Key and why I don't have one" has reared it's ugly head and I would love to hear how you think I should handle this.

In my area I am not able to get a Supra Key because I have been told by "the person in charge of them" at the BOR, of which I am a member, "They are not available to HIs", only member Realtor Agents and Appraisers.

I have been told by several of the Realtors that the HIs that they use, have the Supra Keys. I know I have lost out on several inspections because I have to have "the Agent" open up a house for me. I have had many frowns from them and I'm sure that they have removed me from the list of HIs they give to their clients. It also limits me somewhat to doing the inspection when it is convenient for the agent to open the home.

If none of the other HIs had the Supra Keys, at least It would be a level playing field. I have no problem paying the $200-$300 to have the key, the benefits of just scheduling makes up for the cost. I'm sure I am loosing out on at least a couple of inspections every month because Agents don't want the hassle of opening the home for me.

Every Realtor I have talked to say "their" HIs have the Supra Key, yet I am told No Way!

I feel this is hurting my business and I am considering writing the local BOR Officers a letter (demanding) either giving me access to obtaining a key or checking why other HIs have them and why I am being denied a fair business playing field.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: "Supra Key" inconsistancy of whom can get one

I have one. It allows me to do inspections with no realtor or sometimes, nobody present.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    Many times over the past year and a half of doing inspections the subject of of "the Supra Key and why I don't have one" has reared it's ugly head and I would love to hear how you think I should handle this.

In my area I am not able to get a Supra Key because I have been told by "the person in charge of them" at the BOR, of which I am a member, "They are not available to HIs", only member Realtor Agents and Appraisers.

I have been told by several of the Realtors that the HIs that they use, have the Supra Keys. I know I have lost out on several inspections because I have to have "the Agent" open up a house for me. I have had many frowns from them and I'm sure that they have removed me from the list of HIs they give to their clients. It also limits me somewhat to doing the inspection when it is convenient for the agent to open the home.

If none of the other HIs had the Supra Keys, at least It would be a level playing field. I have no problem paying the $200-$300 to have the key, the benefits of just scheduling makes up for the cost. I'm sure I am loosing out on at least a couple of inspections every month because Agents don't want the hassle of opening the home for me.

Every Realtor I have talked to say "their" HIs have the Supra Key, yet I am told No Way!

I feel this is hurting my business and I am considering writing the local BOR Officers a letter (demanding) either giving me access to obtaining a key or checking why other HIs have them and why I am being denied a fair business playing field.

I love the ownership they take to other human beings

"Every Realtor I have talked to say "their" HIs have the Supra Key,"

But that is another story.

There is probably more Associations in your area where home inspectors can get supra keys. I believe there are a half dozen in reasonable driving distance in DFW.

We use to have to call to get CBS codes but the "Realtors" gave up that control on home inspectors so all we have to do is schedule the hme inspection thru the scheduling agency and 98% of the time we never have to call the listing agent or Realtor for our clients. Just whaen we used to have to get a CBS code it would limit us to when Realtor would get back to us with the CBS code and some Realtor (if you can believe it) do not even answer their phones after 5 on Fridays until 9 on Monday mornings. Unyil we had the code we could not schedule the appointment.

Realtors are slowly losing control in Texas and someday it will be gone altogether and clients will find us like they find any business.

I have never heard of them discriminating about which inspectors can obtain a key. Do they do a background check first out there? One of the local multiple listing services started charging inspectors extra fees to build up a slush fund. That's when I jumped to the other one who was happy to receive me.

The biggest hassle is the CBS code requirement, the multiple calls and e-mails to obtain and agents giving out the wrong numbers.

There are different requirements in every state. Locally I would check with ashi inspectors, for this any other valuable information I need to help my business.
    There is an ashi utah association.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Contact Kurt Solomon. He is in SLC, a well-respected inspector and is currently the president of ASHI National.

He will give you the straight scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Contact Kurt Solomon. He is in SLC, a well-respected inspector and is currently the president of ASHI National.

He will give you the straight scoop.
    I'll do that, thanks!

And thank for the other(s') suggestions here.

Here in Washington, at least in the Seattle-Tacoma Area, HI's are not allowed to have one, only Realtors and Appraisers. I called the MLS about 3 weeks ago on this very same subject. If any HI's in the Seattle - Tacoma Areas have a Supra Key, it is because they are also a Realtor with a license hanging in an Real Estate office somewhere. And, if you wear both hats, when you're wearin' the HI hat, you are NOT allowed to use your Supra Key to let yourself in to do an inspection according to the NWMLS in Kirkland.

Last edited by Jim Hintz; 08-14-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

They are also good to have when you forget your tools..

Here in Vegas prior to Nov. 2010 Hi's who had keys were also agents. That's seems to be the case where your at. When they changed the rules last Nov. it gave a level playing field to all Hi's. My business picked up big time when I got my key. It originally cost me over $800, but it was well worth it. Our local inspection assocciation played a big part in getting the rules changed. also the realtor's assocciation liked the idea of getting the extra money in fee's from Hi's. You might want to go that route to try and get the rules changed in you state.

I looked into an E key several years ago. The local board wanted to charge me $150.00 for an application fee and $440.00 a year membership dues. I asked what if I don't want to be a member. They said it was $440.00 a year non-member dues. I'm not interested in throwing money away and have had no problems getting into houses because my website is set up for the realtors to set the appointment time to be there when the HI is and most of them have an Ekey. The ones I do Radon tests on I leave my own lockbox for picking up my monitors. I enjoy a good reputation whith the real estate community as I have never stood anyone up nor killed a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Here in Washington, at least in the Seattle-Tacoma Area, HI's are not allowed to have one, only Realtors and Appraisers. I called the MLS about 3 weeks ago on this very same subject. If any HI's in the Seattle - Tacoma Areas have a Supra Key, it is because they are also a Realtor with a license hanging in an Real Estate office somewhere. And, if you wear both hats, when you're wearin' the HI hat, you are NOT allowed to use your Supra Key to let yourself in to do an inspection according to the NWMLS in Kirkland.
    We had the same issue in TN untill a few years ago. A group of inspectors approached the local Sentri Card folks (RealTrac MLS) and the local Realtor boards about inspectors having access to the card. Once they realized that inspectors were licensed and already had their required GL insurance they allowed inspectors to get a Sentri Card.

I put off getting a card for many years and finally had to give in when I realized that folks were not using me because I did not have the access card. After getting one I wish I had done it sooner. It really makes it so much easier and you no longer have to wait for someone to let you in.

I did have to join a local board of Realtors. The Sentri Card in my area serves several boards, I just had to join one of them. The price for each board varied from $250 to $500 a year. Guess which one I joined! I think the card cost $250 a year and another $250 for the board membership. All in all well worth the price of not having to wait and deal with folks trying to fit me in between their tennis or golf game so they can let me in a house!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Shouldn't the buyers' realtor be present for the inspection anyway? Doesn't seem to be asking too much for them to earn their commission.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

When is the real estate community going to wake up and admit that home inspectors are an increasingly integral component of the real estate transaction? Inspectors should be granted access to a property they have permission to inspect just like an appraiser or a Realtor.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    When is the real estate community going to wake up and admit that home inspectors are an increasingly integral component of the real estate transaction? Inspectors should be granted access to a property they have permission to inspect just like an appraiser or a Realtor.
    We have been "Allowed" to have keys for quite some time but just recently "Allowed" to not have to call for a CBS code and just enter our 4 digit code to get into a property.

SUPRA Keys keep track of every entry anyway so it is not like one could sneak into a home. When I finally got my key updated so I did not need a CBS code the response from a Realtor at the Association board said (that did not know it had been approved)

"So, I guess you think that just anyone should be able to have a key for access to our clients homes"

She was one of the die hard Realtors that loved the control over inspectors.The sad part about that is that she work at the Association and must have just ignored the memo for the meeting to "Allow" us to have keys thinking that it would never happen. After all why would she think that those lowly little inspector types be allowed access.

Gladly the vast majority of even the buyers agents (never mind the listing agents) either do not come to the inspection or just come at the end for the explanation of the findings. Most just do not find it necessary to come at all. Most realtors around here are told to separate themselves from the inspection and the listing agents tell the sellers that they should not be present at the inspection as it may appear that there is an influence over the outcome of the inspection ...... yeah think!

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    This is where I am at. What makes a Realtor or an Appraiser "special"? HIs have every right to access properties that they have been hired to perform a service. Our Right to make a living should not be impeded by a private entity. My real beef right now is that some HIs have the keys (not sure how they obtained them, it is kind of hush-hush) and some of us do not. I can see if the BOR required proof of E&O insurance or even a background check (I already have a this and my background check is more comprehensive than anything the Realtors might require)

Initially, you had to be sponsered by a broker to obtain a key through FMLS. Once I was with FMLS, I was able to switch over to MLS to maintain mine. (We have two competing multiple listing services here in the ATL area)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Shouldn't the buyers' realtor be present for the inspection anyway? Doesn't seem to be asking too much for them to earn their commission.
    Rrrright.... the're too busy pre-spending their commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    This is where I am at. What makes a Realtor or an Appraiser "special"? HIs have every right to access properties that they have been hired to perform a service. Our Right to make a living should not be impeded by a private entity. My real beef right now is that some HIs have the keys (not sure how they obtained them, it is kind of hush-hush) and some of us do not. I can see if the BOR required proof of E&O insurance or even a background check (I already have a this and my background check is more comprehensive than anything the Realtors might require)
    In my state the big deal was that home inspectors were not licensed and anyone could claim to be one. Once licensing occurred that argument was gone and the MLS folks changed their tone.

They now allow Home Inspectors and Pest Control (for termite inspections) to have a Sentri Card key for access to homes, both are licensed by the state.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I have one.
    Must be nice....