Chuck Kaatz Guest

Default drip edge installation

Should a drip edge be installed away from the fascia to prevent water from running down the fascia board.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: drip edge installation

Photos are small, but I do not see a problem with the drip edge.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I would have installed the drip edge with more projection, but that is a 30yr old preference. As it appears, it is installed correctly. The fact that it is running down the fascia is what it is supposed to do. Specifically not allowing the water to run behind the fascia. The purpose is to prevent a static adhesion of the water to cling to the underside of the roof deck making it possible for the water to run uphill on the underside of the deck and affect the rear of the fascia.

The shingle edge and the drip edge could have been extended, which would have probably prevented the situation that is occurring .

The last picture makes me believe that there is a valley from two roofs pictured that is producing a large volume of water to flow at one point of the fascia. This same condition may be causing issues elsewhere.

HEY

maybe gutters would help here--is that a flat roof??

cvf

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Kaatz View Post
    Should a drip edge be installed away from the fascia to prevent water from running down the fascia board.
    Yes, it "should be", but it is not "required to be".

Years ago before going to the Florida Building Code in 2001, the South Florida Building Code Dade County and Broward County editions "required" it to be done so that would not happen.

I can't think of a code which now requires it, are even a manufacturer who requires it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Chuck Kaatz Guest

I agree that the shingles should overhang the drip edge as per manufactures instructions, usually 1/2" to 1". This drip edge is only 1/2" that does not help.

3 of the 4 photos are from a flat roof. There may be a special drip edge for flat roofs to avoid the water running down the fascia board.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Kaatz View Post
    I agree that the shingles should overhang the drip edge as per manufactures instructions, usually 1/2" to 1". This drip edge is only 1/2" that does not help.

3 of the 4 photos are from a flat roof. There may be a special drip edge for flat roofs to avoid the water running down the fascia board.

thanks
    Yes ,you are referring to a gravel stop.PAC-1-PLY Gravel Stop -- Petersen Aluminum Corp. - Building Product Manufacturer in Sweets Network

It would guide the water down to the scupper or gutter system unless there is some other issue.

I had to recommend them last Spring, on a home.

Post Re: drip edge installation

Drip edge is a type of flashing. Its purpose is not to protect the fascia, but to prevent moisture from creeping up beneath the roofing material. The drip edge in the photos appears to be properly installed.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    Drip edge is a type of flashing. Its purpose is not to protect the fascia, but to prevent moisture from creeping up beneath the roofing material. The drip edge in the photos appears to be properly installed.
    It does BOTH, but the order of importance is reversed from what you stated, at least according to GAF here: GAF Roofing: The Importance of Drip Edge for Roofing - YouTube

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Binford Tools Guest

Drip edge is installed correct. The shingle overlap looks good. They do sell a T edge that are being used and that creates a bit more over hang. The water surface tension would still cause the issue you are pointing out. I've see where they run the shingle out a bit more, but in your climate they might just break off.

Edit.. I would point out that water is coming in contact with the wood. Gutters would have been nice