imported_John Smith Guest

Default Any idea why this box is here?

I didnt open it. These 100 degree days are killers.
    This is on a 240V circuit to an AC condensing unit (1 of 2 units on a 2 story house).

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Any idea why this box is here?

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    I didnt open it. These 100 degree days are killers.
    This is on a 240V circuit to an AC condensing unit (1 of 2 units on a 2 story house).
    I am sure you would have seen a splice/connection in there for the power. Line probably got cut.

imported_John Smith Guest

Thanks Ted. I kind of figured the conductors were too short or something so they spliced. Other than the connectors of the box not fully set, do you see anything glaringly wrong with doing this?

Ted Menelly Guest

Thanks Ted. I kind of figured the conductors were too short or something so they spliced. Other than the connectors of the box not fully set, do you see anything glaringly wrong with doing this?
    Other than it is about time to change the insulation out and that left connection looks rather bent up and may not be sealing that connector as it should to keep dry. Also. Who knows what it looks like inside. It may be OK or could be a dangerous connection if done wrong.

I thnk I would have mounted a box on nthe wall and then ran a new lead to the unit from that box as in a disconnect. That would cancel out all those questions.

bruce audretsch Guest

Let's see, the junction box is not securely mounted, one connector at least is providing no "weather resistance" whatsoever, the flexible conduit is barely secured by very old duct-tape, and the box has been secured in a position which makes it impossible to remove the cover-plate.
    That's all I can see right now, dinner is ready.

Post Re: Any idea why this box is here?

This appears to be a pull box, not a junction box. The liquid tight fitting on the right is not properly installed.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com