Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Inspecting With or Without the client?

This may of been covered in the past but lets try it again.
    I was wondering how most inspectors handle going about there inspections with the client at the jobsite. When I book the inspection I like to tell the client to show up sometime during the last hour of the inspection. That way I can get all the technical stuff done without being interupted and miss something. It seems to me that when the client is present during the whole inspection, I spend too much time answering questions rather than doing my inspection. This has worked well for me and I always ask if there is any concerns about the property I have not addressed in mu post inspection report with them. If I had my choice I would always like to be alone until after i'm done.

Your thoughts,

Ron

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Joe Suelter Guest

Default Re: Inspecting With or Without the client?

The client is there almost 100% of the time. In my opinion, answering questions is a huge part of the job. They don't understand how things work, and I am happy to explain that to them if they wish to know. They are free to follow me around all they want, and I encourage them to ask questions along the way. The only place I do not permit them to follow me is on the roof, for obvious reasons. (ladder falls, I'd like to get down...and the general risk involved for them to be up there).

That being said, they usually tag along for the first 30 minutes or so, then start day dreaming with the Realtor about furniture placement and decorating!

If you inspect without them, and then go back to those same spots to answer their questions, to me, just takes more time.

I agree Ron, it does make it easier when you can concentrate on your in depth inspections without distractions.... unfortunately, most times, the buyers want to be there for obvious reasons, and like Joe stated... they have a vested interest in the outcome. The main thing to establish is a routine when you begin your inspections, that way, you are not thrown off balance when you happen to have a house full of people (clients, friends of clients, relatives of clients, friends of relatives of clients, etc). Develop a routine and don't waver from your routine, then you can be confident at the end of your inspection that you did not overlook anything. I usually do not make small talk, if they want to follow me around, they can observe, but I wait until after I have completed my inspection to cover details that I have found. If they ask a question during the inspection, you have to answer, but I do not volunteer any information until after I am finished. Everyone has their own routines, develop one that works best for you.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I couldn't get away with telling buyers to show up for the last hour. Everybody around here wants to be there for the entire thing. To me, it's just part of the job having them follow while I give explanations and they ask questions. I don't mind it. But it is nice on the rare occasions when the buyer isn't there and I can complete the inspection without any interruption.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

It would be awesome to be alone the whole time, but it's not very common for me, either. It's part of the job, and I get a ton of referrals from people who are so happy that I was able to take the time to explain how things work in person with them. There are points in the inspection where I tell them to leave me alone for a little so I can concentrate. Other parts where we're checking windows, doors, closets I usually make some small talk with them. I do have a set routine, or I would get distracted with too many questions.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I like to be alone the first couple of hours and have the client show up toward the end. But it is not a big deal for me to answer questions as I go. Either way I spend about the same amount of time on the inspection but it is hard to be focused with constant interruptions. I usually give the client a time to show up when I book the inspection and everyone is happy.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I like to get there about an hour early - gives me a bit of slack if there's traffic and time to do the visual portion of the exterior inspection, plot roof access etc., I time it so the client gets there after that hour, which seems to work out pretty well.

It's just the way I work, and might not work for others, but one of the reasons I'm able to charge a fairly high price for my market is the referral business I get from clients who are really interested in their inspection and really appreciate the time I spend explaining things.

The *majority* of these referrals don't even ask me what the inspection is going to cost - I just list the price and a few options in the confirmation e-mail - which is SUCH a pleasant contrast to the price shoppers I get off the website.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Almost 100% of my clients only come in the end. They are told they can come the entire time ( ) in the middle () or in the end for a walk thru and then I can point everything out to them ( ) Just about all decide they would rather just come in the end ( )

Seriously. I hear it all the time that it is so beneficial for a client to be there the entire time to spend quality time with them and answer questions. They miss nothing from not being there the entire time. My clients, almost every single one of them, never call me for an explanation or where is this or what about that. I mean never. All are so thankful for not having to spend three hours at an inspection. They all have something else they could be doing.

Better for the client to be there? Interupting and disrupting the inspection from beginning to the end. They do not want that. They want you to do your job and not be interupted. They want to walk in and you start rapping things off and explaning things. The days of the client being there from the get go is slowly going away. Time is of the essence. The time to get off of work for three hours or more is nipped in the but. The scheduling of inspections is far less involved.

When you get a call tell the clients you will handle everything and get the inspection set up. "Is Tuesday afternoon good for you?" "Come about 4:30 and I will get there a few hours early and when you arrive I should be ready to go over the entire inspection with you. This way you won't spend three hours twittling your thumbs waiting for me to finish up."

Most of the time it will be just wonderful for them. If an afternnon just won't work for them then ask them if they can pop in around mid day and you can do a walk around with them. Again, you will be amazed at the afternoon coming when you finish or popping in at or just before lunch will work out for them.

They get absolutely n othing more by being there the entire time. I can give you hundreds, thousands of numbers where things worked out just great for their scheduling and had absolutely no questions afterward with the exceoption of

"Can I use the picture you took of the front of the home? I took a bunch of pictures and they just did not come out the same as yours!"

I am not kidding about it at all. That was the last question ask to me by any client in so long I cannot remember. They wanted me to send them a jpg so they could send it to friends and families.

Clients being at the inspection the entire time

NOT No reason at all.

You'd hate it up here Ted.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I let clients know that the inspection will take around 3 hours and that it's best that they show up near the end of the inspection to go over the report findings and answer any questions. If they want to attend the entire inspection they can, however I try to discourage it. Most of us have had the experince when clients show up with kids, parents, aunts, uncles, etc. Makes it difficult to inspect when you have lots of distractions.

i wouldn't buy a car without testing it and driving it first--or buy any clothing without trying it on. so i do my inspection schedule around my clients availability--i encourage them to be there--especially if they are first time home owners--there is so much for them to learn. i get so many referrals from the first time buyers friends because of what they learned at the inspection. yeah sometimes they bring the clan--i just tell the buyer follow me and let the clan do their thing. they are spending alot of money on this sometime dream home--they need to know as much as possible about it--so many first timers don't even know there is a garbage disposal circuit breaker--room outlets controlled by room entry switches{upside down outlets}--what humidifiers should be set at--how to test sump pumps--what sanitary lift pumps are--and garage door safety devices. i believe doing a home inspection is also an educational process for young buyers--and older clients--i love my job and inspecting and teaching. i know many inspectors do two or three inspections a day and don't have time to do what i do--so to each their own----i only do one and take my time

thats my METHOD OF OPERATION

cvf

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    i believe doing a home inspection is also an educational process for young buyers--and older clients--i love my job and inspecting and teaching.

cvf
    100% agree.

I think its a matter of personal preference. Some inspectors can not concentrate if there are people around. Some can't handle answering questions, or talking, for fear it might distract them, or cause them to miss something. Some can be "in the zone" and inspect a house with live gunfire a few yards away, and not miss a thing.

I prefer my clients attend the inspection. If they want to come at the end, that's OK, however, I make it very clear that if they come at the end, I will have a limited amount of time to go over things and answer questions. After all, I have another inspection scheduled, or if it's at the end of the day, I want to get home at a decent time and eat dinner.

I had one client decide he was too busy to attend the inspection, and he showed up 45 minutes after I had finished. He wanted to go over the entire inspection, in real time, and have me walk him through every part. After about two hours, I decided that would never happen to me again. And it hasn't.

The following are estimates of attendance....
    20% are there the entire time.
    20% are out of the area and never attend.
    50% come towards the end. I give them an estimated time about an hour before I expect to be finished.
    10% come at the start, sign my contract, and pay me, stick around for a while, then take off.

The reason I want them to attend is so they can SEE what I am doing. I can EXPLAIN things to them, and point out important features and/or issues. But the most important reason why I want them there is to build a rapport. People are not so quick to sue someone they like.

I get very few follow up calls or questions, but the ones I do get, are usually from someone that did not attend the inspection (OR READ THE REPORT). If I can answer all those questions while I am at the house, then it cuts down the amount of telephone time I may spend, when I would much rather be drinking beer.

I have learned over the years to stay focused on what I am doing. I move with purpose through the house, and follow a pattern that I have found works for me.
    I tell my clients up front that while I welcome any questions they may have (and will answer them), they are not to try to pull me away from what I am doing to go answer a question in another part of the house. I put it in a nice way, I tell them that while it may appear that I am wandering aimlessly, I really do have a method to my madness. If they pull me away from my routine, I may miss something. They usually get the point. I also tell them that they are welcome to go off on their own, measure rooms, etc, and if I find something they really need to see, I WILL COME AND GET THEM.

That way, I am telling them that they need to leave me the hell alone (in a very nice way), but I am going to do the best job I can for them, and if something BIG comes up, I will bring them up to speed immediately. This works for me, and apparently works for my clients too.

jack

like you i have my routine and tell my client to let me go and any questions they have --WAIT till i get to that area or room-- i do roof first--then exterior--garage--kitchen--bathrooms --rooms --then plumbing--hvac --electrical-==always do attic and crawl spaces last--why have a sweaty shirt and appearence for three hours--save it for last--i do my inspection around how my inspection report pages go-- i use a voice recorder and many digital pictures--and that makes report writing smoother

so most of the time the family clan that gets there is ignored

cvf

I am pretty okay with anything.... My favorite inspection is probably a client who is there at the start but gives me some space to do my thing. I'll usually track them down and give them a couple updates as I go and then do a wrap up at the end.

I've heard of inspectors having hard and fast rules and I just can't imgaine how they pull it off. Every day is different, every house is different, every client is different. To try and fit everything into one rule seems impossible.

I remember hearing a statistic from an attorney at a CE class once that a much higher % of lawsuits are from buyers that didn't attend the inspection. It makes sense.... it's much easier to sue someone you don't know.

I did two today with no clients present and one with no agent. Last week I did a couple as well with no clients present. I do inspections all the time without agents because I have supra access. Many clients come at the end as well.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I did two today with no clients present and one with no agent. Last week I did a couple as well with no clients present. I do inspections all the time without agents because I have supra access. Many clients come at the end as well.
    Agents present? I don't know if it is because I am not an agents boy or what. Not only are agents almost 100% not at my inspections but I am told that whether one is the listing or buyers agent, they are told by legal to make themselves scarse at inspections. At best one in 50 inspections (maybe) has an agent around and that would be in the very end or they may pop in with a check because the client is out of town.

As far as problems with no one being there. Never.

The only time I have had any problems or concerns is when an agent tries to run the show and they don't have to be present to screw things up.

No agent less possible ethics concerns, there legal tells them. Yeah think?

Same situation here with Realtors not staying. Some will come back at the end, but most stay away.

Ooooh man... Out here, not only do the buyers agent come, at a lot of inspections, so does the listing agent. So you have to do an inspection with both of these people hounding you..."you done yet..you done yet", how much longer?? Not to paint all agents with a broad brush, many are pretty cool people.
    The best inspections are when both agents are there, buyer and all their family and the seller.

What I've noticed is the more expensive the house, the more people in attendance.

Jack's post is pretty much a carbon copy of how it is for me. One thing that I have noticed over the past year is that I now seldom see the agent at the home. I have a key card for the lock box so they just do not show unless the client wants them.

As long as I can get my job done and I get paid, I'm pretty flexible with who attends the inspection.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The clients know I need 2 1/2 hours or sometimes more to do my inspection. (In fact, I'm always at the house 1/2 hour early, so I get the general exterior descriptions done.) After that, I give them full attention for a full hour, and they will get answers to all the questions and then some. Most of them are happy to come for the last hour only. The realtors invariably show up too. Sometimes they will drift away with the straggling family members, and that's perfect.
    I like going back over the whole place again, even though I've covered it all. Sometimes there's something hidden by shrubs that I didn't check, or something that wasn't a problem but the client thinks it is. We do the walkthrough, and wind up in the kitchen. I put the finish to the report, show pics of the attic and roof and get paid. That takes one hour.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

JORY LANNES Guest

I get to the inspection site about 30 to 45 minutes before the scheduled time. It gives me time to review the outside and think of inside issues. I encourage clients to follow me. If they are difficult to handle I ask them to do time consuming projects like watch the whirlpool not to overflow of the washer full cycle to look for leaks. In most cases the client gets bored and talks to the realtor. Most of my inspections comes from referals of past clients. I am always open and encourage questions. It is not what you tell them as much as how you sell them. Clients need nuturing.

Len Couey Guest

We complete the entire inspection and report on site, we have a small motor home that is our office. Most of our clients come at the end but are welcome to come any time. 50 % of our clients are from out of area so no one attends except sometimes the agent for the buyer stops by.
    I would rather they attend at some point if possible so I do not have to spend an hour on the phone going over the report.

Len Couey

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JORY LANNES View Post
    I get to the inspection site about 30 to 45 minutes before the scheduled time. It gives me time to review the outside and think of inside issues. I encourage clients to follow me. If they are difficult to handle I ask them to do time consuming projects like watch the whirlpool not to overflow of the washer full cycle to look for leaks. In most cases the client gets bored and talks to the realtor. Most of my inspections comes from referals of past clients. I am always open and encourage questions. It is not what you tell them as much as how you sell them. Clients need neutering.

Not even I would not go that far. Some, very few, need *nurturing* but that is there mom and dads fault not mine. Most of my clients are grown ups and hard as it may be to believe they do not need nurturing from me. Almost all my clients are just happy as pigs in mud not to have to spend three hours at an inspection. The ones that think they need *nurturing* really don't but believe they do. Once they see how easy it is to understand an inspection report they do not even have need to call me later as all is described and explained in the repor with a pretty picture (or several) to help with the explanation. After I read post after post about the hand holding and if they are not there hour long explanations of the report on the phone I am shocked and amazed that I NEVER get those calls whether they came or not. I mean never. Some of you folks must have those paragraph or 2 or 3 of disclaimers and notes for maintenance and hype and fluff all mixed in with the report so they do not know whats what. All that stuff the clients have to filter thru and decide what the concerns really are. Tell them what they want to know. The concerns in the home. A brief explanation and a picture or several and that completely ends all future contact other than their next inspection or referral to a friend or family member.

Honestly guys, I am totaly shocked at folks that have been inspecting for years/decades, still getting calls for expalnations whether the client did or did not come to the inspection. I never even get calls from Realtors about the inspection. Some actually may call me about a recommendation for an HVAC company and such but thats it.

Just saying. I think a lot of you folks get all your work thru Realtors and they control the show and influence the inspection (not saying you now so relax) from the get go and they are the ones setting the expectation for the clients about an inspection and how it should or should not be. Not their job at all. If they refer they need to end it there.

"Call these few inspectors and you can pick from those or find your own but in anycase they will explain the inspection process to you." Not, "I will explain everything about the inspection and then give Billy a call. He will take it from there. He is just so wonderful and the experience and professionalism will blow you away"

I will repeat what I wrote above and multiple times in the years on here. The only time I EVER have a problem with an inspection is when there is a Realtor in charge. Or think they are. Or want to be. Or are lead to believe they are.

Back to work on the report now. See yeah.

Len Couey Guest

Ted, saw your response to my posting. I was responding to the orginial ?? about how did we handle our clients as per relating the inspection to them. A lot of ours are first time buyers and have no idea whats going on and some explanation is due them. If they are not at the inspection the only way is with a phone call or god forbid let the realtor explain it. You spend a lot of time trying to tell other people how to do their business and really it is of no concern or yours. My wife and I are both inspectors and work togeather so hopefully we do not miss anything of great importance.
    Do none of the Realtors in your area give the buyer your name??? Most of them here give out three names and then the buyer calls and usually gets pricing and other information to help them make the decision of who to use.

Len Couey

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Len Couey View Post
    Ted, saw your response to my posting. I was responding to the orginial ?? about how did we handle our clients as per relating the inspection to them. A lot of ours are first time buyers and have no idea whats going on and some explanation is due them. If they are not at the inspection the only way is with a phone call or god forbid let the realtor explain it. You spend a lot of time trying to tell other people how to do their business and really it is of no concern or yours. My wife and I are both inspectors and work togeather so hopefully we do not miss anything of great importance.
    Do none of the Realtors in your area give the buyer your name??? Most of them here give out three names and then the buyer calls and usually gets pricing and other information to help them make the decision of who to use.

Len Couey
    Relax. Most of it is razzing you a little. No harm meant. As far as me telling folks what to do I explain strongly what I do. I would never be so bold as to tell folks directly how to run there business.

As far as the Nuturing that I turned into neutering, as a funny, it was meant to be funny as you meant to write nurturing.

Again forgive my bluntness. I grew up in the North East in the construction business and that is pretty much how we talk. No harm or foul meant. Sorry you took it that way.

I have a T shirt that says

I'M NOT YELLING
    I AM ITALIAN
    ...THAT IS HOW WE TALK

Seriously, don't take my rants as being harsh or scolding or directing you how to do something. What I express is what and how I do it and to each his own.

Also, in case you have not noticed I am one of the believers that Realtors have their place and we have ours and never the twain shall meet.

But again, to each his own. Unlike what others may tell you, I do get referrals from Realtors but that maxes out to , well, who knows, from nothing to 20% I guess. The rest comes from past clients and the internet.

Thanks for the come back and I apologize if you felt I was unloadeing on you. Have my replies are to several posts at once so I cover them all in one and it seams like I am attacking one person. I am usually doing a report or compuiter work whjen I come on here so the multi tasking always plays a part as well.

You have a good night and a better weekend.

Oh yeah. I think the husband and wife thing is wonderful.

Now to eat.

LEN

thanks for your responce to TED MENATLLYS reply. he does this all the time. his way is the only way to go or get out of the business. i am also from the nor east and i do not talk like him. or some one would have kick my ass by now. again he says he hates agents--but takes referrals--WHY.
    i believe you are being paid by your client--so don't try and hide from them do your job and get them at the inspection and teach them--especially if they are first time buyers, OR OLD FOLKS LIKE MY PARENTS USED TO OLD TECHNOLOGY-- sure it is great when then can't make it and you can go faster--but they lose a lot-- i CHERISH the information i give my clients and it makes my day when they say WOW I LEARNED A LOT TODAY--GLAD I CHOSE YOU AS MY INSPECTOR

TED NEEDS TO STOP BASHING HIS FELLOW INSPECTORS AND ADD VALUE TO THIS FORUM INSTEAD OF HOW HIS **** DOESN'T STINK--TED IT DOES

TED READ THE PRIVATE MESSAGE I SENT YOU--IF YOU HAVE GUTS

CVF

Len Couey Guest

Thank you Charlie enough said. I do not often respond to some of the posts I am up to 8 or so in 2 years but he pissed me off. Most Texas inspectors are not like this

Len Couey

Ted Menelly Guest

LEN

thanks for your responce to TED MENATLLYS reply. he does this all the time. his way is the only way to go or get out of the business. i am also from the nor east and i do not talk like him. or some one would have kick my ass by now. again he says he hates agents--but takes referrals--WHY.
    i believe you are being paid by your client--so don't try and hide from them do your job and get them at the inspection and teach them--especially if they are first time buyers, OR OLD FOLKS LIKE MY PARENTS USED TO OLD TECHNOLOGY-- sure it is great when then can't make it and you can go faster--but they lose a lot-- i CHERISH the information i give my clients and it makes my day when they say WOW I LEARNED A LOT TODAY--GLAD I CHOSE YOU AS MY INSPECTOR

TED NEEDS TO STOP BASHING HIS FELLOW INSPECTORS AND ADD VALUE TO THIS FORUM INSTEAD OF HOW HIS **** DOESN'T STINK--TED IT DOES

TED READ THE PRIVATE MESSAGE I SENT YOU--IF YOU HAVE GUTS

CVF
    I cannot believe I am responding to you Charlie. The man with out a clue passing off advise to others. (my opinion)

For you info Charlie I answered not just his but a few posts as I already told him. I did read you nignorant private message to me Charlie and it did jot deserve a responce. (my opinion)

One of these days the guys that just do not understand that they give their opinion and others give their opinion. The only problem is most folks like it one way. If it is an opinion that they happen to not agree with then they get all pissy.

"It's not what you tell them, it is what you sell them"

That was his opinion

"Clients need nuturing"

That was his opinion even though I found the mispelling humorous so changed the wording to my own. I guess he did not find it funny and just wanted to give his opinion and not hear anyone elses of his opinion.

Your entire post Charlie ...... is your opinion

Funny how that works huh. Someday you will stop being so thin skinned and take others opinion like a man or don't take them at all but please Charlie. All you ever want to do is voice your opinion .... hmm, funny how everyone on here does the same thing and only a handful get pissy when their opinion does not match theres.

Time to get a grip folks. You have opinions, I have opinion, damn, even Charlie has opiniuons. Some of us agree with the others ..... and some of us do not and what do we do, oh yeah, we voice our opinion on the subject.

"But he pissed me off" an opinion.

"Most Texas inspectors ar not like this" an opinion

Hate to clue you folks in but Home inspection is an opinion business. Most of what comes out after an enitial question on boards like this is an opinion. Most Texas inspectors are like this. (an opinion) Matter of fact all inspectors are like this. It is an opinion business.

These opinions are based on there historical experience, job history, inspection history.

Sorry Len. I did not want to piss you off for having a difference of opinion.

For 8 posts that certainly was a lot of opinions you put out there. But it cannot be because most Texas inspectors are not like that.

And I was actually nice and appolidgetic to Len and see what I get for being nice. He agrees with Charlie. By the way Charlie. No more private messages. It was very unprofessional of you to be so mean You hurt my feelings.

Now, back to the card game and away from the emails and message boards for the weekend. Just think. That darn email brought me right into your hooks Charlie

What was that phrase

"EVERYTIME I THINK I AM OUT THEY DRAG ME RIGHT BACK IN"

TED

you deserved that private message.--and sorry it HURT your feeling--BUT READ YOUR PAST POSTS ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY TO OTHER PROFESSIONAL INSPECTORS--WHEN WILL YOU LEARN THAT ALL INSPECTORS ON THIS FORUM have paid their dues and work hard and run their business as theY see professional--AND NOW YOUR LAST POST again you demean someone for spelling--re read your last post--ADVISE--SHOULD BE ADVICE--JOT--{WHAT}--OPINIUIOUS--ENTIAL--APPOLOLDETIC. PLEASE TED CONTRIBUTE HERE AND STOP BASHING OTHER INSPECTORS FOR HOW THEY DO THEIR BUSINESS--IF YOU ARE PROFESSIONAL SHOW IT

CVF

I am very glad that I got involved with the North Texas TAREI group when I first started thinking about becoming a Home Inspector. In that group I found Men and Women that are Professionals and are not at all afraid to give good advice to the "FNG". They treat everyone in the group with RESPECT and I have never felt out of place for one minute. I can call any one of the members at any time for any reason, and I truly believe they will not only take my call, but they will do the very best they can to answer my questions no matter if it is about something technical on an inspection, or if I need some marketing advice to help grow my business.

It just goes to show you that all of the inspectors from Texas are not alike. Some are not even a little bit alike...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    What I've noticed is the more expensive the house, the more people in attendance.
    No doubt... Sort of annoying, to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Wow.... you still have those in your area? The last I saw one around here was about 2007

jack

like you i have my routine and tell my client to let me go and any questions they have --WAIT till i get to that area or room-- i do roof first--then exterior--garage--kitchen--bathrooms --rooms --then plumbing--hvac --electrical-==always do attic and crawl spaces last--why have a sweaty shirt and appearence for three hours--save it for last--i do my inspection around how my inspection report pages go-- i use a voice recorder and many digital pictures--and that makes report writing smoother

so most of the time the family clan that gets there is ignored

cvf

Charlie, I assume you have never found damaged roof sheathing in an attic.. if so, then I assume you would never walk a roof BEFORE you inspect the attic. Be careful.

Personally, I'd rather a client come at the end but I always tell people the inspection will take about 2.5~3 hrs. I welcome the client to attend and most of them attend the entire inspection. Having them come late causes lots of interruptions and delays as I have to go back to all of the places I already inspected... often adds an extra 1/2 to 1 hr.

MATTHEW

i've been lucky so far--but good advice--i walk like tinker bell on the roof

cvf

Hi, ALL &

Am with Charlie & Joe S. on this (at least) &

Always encourage our Clients to "be there" for as much as possible & NEVER discourage 'em...

I've been on my own many times, also, due to circumstances & find it 'lonely', actually (am a real 'people' person & enjoy the interaction for the most part and do enjoy educating the Client; also find many Agents learning & paying good attention - so long as not interfering, I'm OK).

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

As a long time inspector since 91 I have had my clients attend. Since I do a lot of rural properties and many of those clients are city folks they cannot comprehend such things as septic systems, wells, older century housing, the lay of the land... if they are not in attendance.

Better for them to attend and see the septic being pumped, the well flow test, other features of the property.

They can ask real time questions, not questions based on wordy, fluffy reports full of disclaimers, pictures that they can't appreciate from not being in attendance.

I want them there so they can point out things they see that they may not be able to comprehend or for them to ask what something is.

If and when clients cannot attend, I charge more for my service because I know the calls will come in from them to explain things pointed out in the report after the fact.

Since I am in a service business, I place service first and foremost.

Clients in attendance are much less inclined to ask questions after the fact.

However since each of you runs your business in a manner befitting your business plan, you know what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I cannot believe I am responding to you Charlie. The man with out a clue passing off advise to others. (my opinion)

For you info Charlie I answered not just his but a few posts as I already told him. I did read you nignorant private message to me Charlie and it did jot deserve a responce. (my opinion)

One of these days the guys that just do not understand that they give their opinion and others give their opinion. The only problem is most folks like it one way. If it is an opinion that they happen to not agree with then they get all pissy.

"It's not what you tell them, it is what you sell them"

That was his opinion

"Clients need nuturing"

That was his opinion even though I found the mispelling humorous so changed the wording to my own. I guess he did not find it funny and just wanted to give his opinion and not hear anyone elses of his opinion.

Your entire post Charlie ...... is your opinion

Funny how that works huh. Someday you will stop being so thin skinned and take others opinion like a man or don't take them at all but please Charlie. All you ever want to do is voice your opinion .... hmm, funny how everyone on here does the same thing and only a handful get pissy when their opinion does not match theres.

Time to get a grip folks. You have opinions, I have opinion, damn, even Charlie has opiniuons. Some of us agree with the others ..... and some of us do not and what do we do, oh yeah, we voice our opinion on the subject.

"But he pissed me off" an opinion.

"Most Texas inspectors ar not like this" an opinion

Hate to clue you folks in but Home inspection is an opinion business. Most of what comes out after an enitial question on boards like this is an opinion. Most Texas inspectors are like this. (an opinion) Matter of fact all inspectors are like this. It is an opinion business.

These opinions are based on there historical experience, job history, inspection history.

Sorry Len. I did not want to piss you off for having a difference of opinion.

For 8 posts that certainly was a lot of opinions you put out there. But it cannot be because most Texas inspectors are not like that.

And I was actually nice and appolidgetic to Len and see what I get for being nice. He agrees with Charlie. By the way Charlie. No more private messages. It was very unprofessional of you to be so mean You hurt my feelings.

Now, back to the card game and away from the emails and message boards for the weekend. Just think. That darn email brought me right into your hooks Charlie

What was that phrase

"EVERYTIME I THINK I AM OUT THEY DRAG ME RIGHT BACK IN"
    Ted, mind if I use this word (nignorant) ? LMAO

MATTHEW

i've been lucky so far--but good advice--i walk like tinker bell on the roof

cvf
    At 250lbs - me too !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Duxbury View Post
    Hi, ALL &

Am with Charlie & Joe S. on this (at least) &

Always encourage our Clients to "be there" for as much as possible & NEVER discourage 'em...

I've been on my own many times, also, due to circumstances & find it 'lonely', actually (am a real 'people' person & enjoy the interaction for the most part and do enjoy educating the Client; also find many Agents learning & paying good attention - so long as not interfering, I'm OK).

CHEERS !
    The buyers being there is fine, but please leave the screaming brats, yapping dog and the in-laws home !!!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Ted, mind if I use this word (nignorant) ? LMAO
    You can use it all. Half the time I am typing and watching the news or reading another email or for a large part am typing with my too big of fingers on my phone. The smart phones pick words they want if you change one letter. Most of the time it will not even have a close relation to the word you thought you typed.

Yeah, I don't pick on folks because they spelled something wrong. I actually find it quite funny because I always go over my posts and afterward and there are still a half dozen words totally destroyed. I think anyone that reads any of my posts will find it very comical when I pick on them in jest about their spelling.

This was from my phone so have at any destroyed words

TED

again--so wordy and opinionated and SENT from your phone ?--that is insane-to write all you do and not from a computer is again insane. go to your post #30--you pick apart someone for mispelling--please keep your replies simple and educatioanal--your opinion is biased and insulting to professional inspectors--when will you get it--THIS IS A INFORMATIVE FORUM--NOT THE TED MENTAL SHOW

CVF

Why do I feel the sudden urge to strike a bell somewhere and asked Ted and Charlie to go their neutral corners? Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Bee!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

DUB
    i,m sorry

i have sent ted a private message about talking about me and his slandering of inspectors and the way they run their business yet he still thinks his way is the only way. please again read his posts. he just doesn't get it

again sorry

cvf

Maybe Ted IS Aaron? No, wait, maybe Charlie is Aaron? I'm so confused!

Len Couey Guest

Maybe they both need a warm soapy enema

When someone calls shopping for an inspector I always tell them I'd like them to be there during the entire inspection and to be wary of those inspectors who only want them there for the last few minutes. It's great marketing for me.

I tell them that to get the most out of their inspection and money spent to be there the entire time, ask questions and learn about the house. Again, great marketing for me.

I inspect the house in the same order every time so things aren't missed, even if the client asks several questions, I'll always continue where I left off. Actually if the client is present during the entire inspection or only there for the last few minutes, the inspection takes about the same amount of time. When they show up at the end they always want to see the problem areas first hand, even though there are pictures in the report, so I end up going over everything twice.

I'd rather inspect the home with nobody there at all, but, in my opinion, that's not what this job is about.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Honestly guys, I am totaly shocked at folks that have been inspecting for years/decades, still getting calls for expalnations whether the client did or did not come to the inspection. I never even get calls from Realtors about the inspection. Some actually may call me about a recommendation for an HVAC company and such but thats it.

I agree with Ted. If you are getting ANY calls after the inspection, your report hasn't communicated the information to your client in an effective manner.

For each issue, if you tell the client what it is, where it is, what's wrong, what that means to them, what to do about it and what it might cost, THERE ARE NO OTHER QUESTIONS. You've already answered them.

If you are getting calls, you need to look at your report writing and see how it could be improved.

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cramer View Post

If you are getting calls, you need to look at your report writing and see how it could be improved.
    I completely disagree with that. When going through the final explanation of the report, some people get so overloaded with information, they start "drowning you out". After they get back home and actually read the report, then some of what you said sinks in, and a question or two might arise.

Honestly, some of you act like you are scared to talk to the clients after the report is done...as long as you get your check I guess. For me, I feel it is my obligation to assist with questions after the report/inspection.

I like to remember that the clients are the ones putting food on the table.

Ted Menelly Guest

I agree with Ted. If you are getting ANY calls after the inspection, your report hasn't communicated the information to your client in an effective manner.

For each issue, if you tell the client what it is, where it is, what's wrong, what that means to them, what to do about it and what it might cost, THERE ARE NO OTHER QUESTIONS. You've already answered them.

It is not always what you don't say but what you do write in the report. Sounds contradictory but true.

I see report after report after report where it is difficult to determine what is a disclaimer, , maintenance tip or concern. In most reports there are far to many disclaimers stating that "of course I cannot see thru walls so there is no way of telling you what is going on behind those walls"

In my direct as usual opinion all maintenance tips and disclaimers need their own body in the report and the concerns with pictures explaining those concerns are the only thing in the body of the report.

Also the summary that most folks give, is the report all over again with no pictures. The Realtors want a summary so they can send it off to the Listing agent with an addendum for repairs. No pictures in the summary and the questions abound from every point in the report.

Most summaries I see are in the front of the report instead of at the rear of the report. The folks read the summary and not the bloated report with all the disclaimers and maintenance tips.

Just a suggestion here and as some think, I am not telling folks what they must do, just giving advise if one wishes to read advise, leave all that garbage out of the body of the report. Break the disclaimers down by category if you must include them and in the report tell them "see discalimer section" or " see the maintenance tip section"

The report must be clean and clear and precise and straight to the point. Add all the rest of the insane bloat and your A S S is no longer covered. Having to filter thru all that crap makes it more difficult to read and distinguish the concerns from all that garbage.

A note about summaries

Why

If your report is clean with an adequate amount of pictures to help with the explanation, throw some more pictures is, say of the roof to show them you stood on top of that roof to get a good look, and there is no need for a summary. Also, who are we to be the determining party as to what goes into the summary anyway. That is the clients job to determine what he/she wants in the addendum for repair or allowance not you or the Realtor

Some of you say that it must be broken down so the client does not do ridiculous things like add it all in for repairs. Some say it is only the important or expensive items that should go into the summary that need immediate attention.

Who are we or Realtors to decide that. It is our job to do the home inspection for the client pointing out all concerns you find, whether it be immediate or something that may be servicing as intended such as a roof not leaking but about to in a short time due to extensive age or wear.

I hear constantly from Realtors that may show up at the end of the inspection "Well, lets hope for a good hail storm" . In other words, it is not leaking so it does not need replacing now and hopefully a storm will come along so you can put a claim in to your insurance company. Seriously, who wants to put a claim into their insurance company. One more claim after that and you will be needing to find an insurance company that will carry you.

Anyways folks. Clean up your reports. Get rid of the book of disclaimers throughout the report and the other book of maintenance tips so the folks can instantly see wat is going on in the home they are thinking of purchasing. Don't say the summary does not include the maintenance tips and disclaimers. You want them to read the report with pictures next to the concerns. If you are doing that then there is no need for the summary. It is the disclaimers and maintenance tips that muddy the report. Get rid of them.

Just some advise and ideas. Do with them as you wish.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter View Post
    I completely disagree with that. When going through the final explanation of the report, some people get so overloaded with information, they start "drowning you out". After they get back home and actually read the report, then some of what you said sinks in, and a question or two might arise.

Honestly, some of you act like you are scared to talk to the clients after the report is done...as long as you get your check I guess. For me, I feel it is my obligation to assist with questions after the report/inspection.

I like to remember that the clients are the ones putting food on the table.

So if the clients are the ones putting the food on the table, get rid of the trash, explain your findings in the report including pictures so there is no need for the calls. The clients having questions afterward just shows you have not done what they wanted to begin with. A good inspection. A clean concise and well explained report in front of them and whether they are there or not there should be about zero need for questions.

Think about it. I get about zero calls, ever, from any client or Realtor, whether they are there or not. Getting calls is not a problem and if anyone wishes to call me about anything in the report I would be and am completely availble to the clients that put the food on my table. You make it sound like they should have questions and explanations. The inspection and report is to kill the need for questions and explanations.

I am not saying I don't get calls but the calls are not for explanations but they are for "thanks for the great report. I was wondering if you had someone in mind like yourself that actually cares about the work they do and will do a great job like you did." For the roof or HVAC or electric etc.

Not kidding or exaggerating in the slightest. Those are the calls I get. Not, what do you mean by this or that or could you clarify this or that etc. Seriously, think about it.

Just my opinion and advise. Take it and use it (or not) as you wish.

[quote=If you are doing that then there is no need for the summary. It is the disclaimers and maintenance tips that muddy the report. Get rid of them.

Just some advise and ideas. Do with them as you wish.[/quote]

I agree 100%!

My question is, As a new member of InterNACHI,
    Do they require a summary in there Reports? If Not Its Gone!

Without getting to technical, can someone explain What is Required in there Reports.

Examples

1. Defect
    2. Cause
    3. Consequenses
    4. Action

By the way, I Love This Board. Greates thing since sliced bread...

Both of mine today are "client-less". One is even agent-less....woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Cleland View Post
    I agree 100%!

My question is, As a new member of InterNACHI,
    Do they require a summary in there Reports? If Not Its Gone!

Without getting to technical, can someone explain What is Required in there Reports.

Examples

1. Defect
    2. Cause
    3. Consequenses
    4. Action

By the way, I Love This Board. Greates thing since sliced bread...
    Not sure I understand what you are asking, but if you do the following you will be fine with just about everyone and anything:
    1. Report/describe what you see
    2. Report what action needs to be done (i.e. Have a qualified plumber make the needed corrections)
    3. Report what might happen if nothing is done (this step is not always needed)
    4. Report what and why you could not inspect a system or item.

FYI, I seldom if ever get a call to clarify what I have written in the report. I think that last call I received was from a "handyman" asking how I wanted a rotting door repaired. For some reason he did not understand the word "Replace" in the report!

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 09-02-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are asking, but if you do the following you will be fine with just about everyone and anything:
    1. Report/describe what you see
    2. Report what action needs to be done (i.e. Have a qualified plumber make the needed corrections)
    3. Report what might happen if nothing is done (this step is not always needed)
    4. Report what and why you could not inspect a system or item.
    Is #2 Required?
    If I report missing caulk at windows in step 1, is Step 2 necessary?

#3 Report what might happen.Normally I omit this step unless,
    There is a Major defect or Safety Concern and then I recommend a qualified contractor.

#4 Always do this.

Can you let me know IF A Summary is Required in the Report according to NACHI?

If the report is well documented and contains lots of pics, It seems pointess to repeat yourself.

IMO

Joe Suelter Guest

Think about it. I get about zero calls, ever, from any client or Realtor, whether they are there or not.
    I am not saying I don't get calls
    I understand what you are saying Ted...the only calls you get are for praise. That's great.

But what I don't agree with was the guy above telling us that we need "to reconsider our reporting system". That's an insult, plain and simple. Just because one person is lacking knowledge about something, he has nobody to call but us. I am pleased as a pickle to offer them help. It takes about 5 minutes, and they are once again satisfied.

So, am I wrong for taking the call? Are you wrong for not? It's a pissing match with no outcome.

Joe Suelter Guest

I'm going to call you out on this one.

Just because an inspector gets a call every so often from a customer by no means justifies the need to "relearn" report writing. The ones that call are the ones that care, and actually READ the report. Of course questions every now and then will pop up. They may not be relevant to the report, but they WILL pop up.

Now, with that being said, if an inspector is getting 4 or 5 calls a week, then yes, there may be a problem! Don't lump everyone else in to that mix though....a call once a month or two to clarify doesn't make us bad inspectors.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter View Post
    I understand what you are saying Ted...the only calls you get are for praise. That's great.

But what I don't agree with was the guy above telling us that we need "to reconsider our reporting system". That's an insult, plain and simple. Just because one person is lacking knowledge about something, he has nobody to call but us. I am pleased as a pickle to offer them help. It takes about 5 minutes, and they are once again satisfied.

So, am I wrong for taking the call? Are you wrong for not? It's a pissing match with no outcome.
    Take all calls merrily. That is your job and mine. Suggestions are one thing but out right telling someone what they must do is quite another .... unless asked. No one is wrong for taking a call about anything from any client. I always tell folks, "if you don't want a direct answer then don't give me a direct question". That is why I always add in the end that it is my advice and opinion and all must take them, or not and do with them as they wish.

I do have a problem with taking calls 2 years after an inspection and demanding why I did not know that the home was going to have foundation concerns from the serious drought we are in and that created drainage problems and demanding to know what I am gong to do about it.

That just happened. Literally, just happened. Waste line under the slab is damaged from foundation movement and why I did not know it was going to happen That is a real question looking for a real answer from a 2 year old inspection.

I direct folks like that to the TREC Standards and say to have a nice day. That of course after explaining that I or any inspector has absolutely no idea what may happen to their home in the future under any and all conditions.

By the way. My preamble in front of the report tells them that and is explained to all. Funny how some folks forget what they wish to forget when it comes time for them to repair something on their home.

Here is a good one. This is a call I got a year or 2 ago

My dishwasher *stopped* working and my warranty man said "Aha, this is why it is not working, it was never hooked up under the sink". That same client " water started coming up thru the wood floor in the kitchen and my warranty guy said you should have found it at the time of the inspection". Both of these occurrences were a year after the inspection.

So are all calls praise. Absolutely not. Some are just ridiculously absurd.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 09-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Joe Suelter Guest

Take all calls merrily. That is your job and mine. Suggestions are one thing but out right telling someone what they must do is quite another .... unless asked. No one is wrong for taking a call about anything from any client. I always tell folks, "if you don't want a direct answer then don't give me a direct question". That is why I always add in the end that it is my advice and opinion and all must take them, or not and do with them as they wish.

I do have a problem with taking calls 2 years after an inspection and demanding why I did not know that the home was going to have foundation concerns from the serious drought we are in and that created drainage problems and demanding to know what I am gong to do about it.

That just happened. Literally, just happened. Waste line under the slab is damaged from foundation movement and why I did not know it was going to happen That is a real question looking for a real answer from a 2 year old inspection.

I direct folks like that to the TREC Standards and say to have a nice day. That of course after explaining that I or any inspector has absolutely no idea what may happen to their home in the future under any and all conditions.

By the way. My preamble in front of the report tells them that and is explained to all. Funny how some folks forget what they wish to forget when it comes time for them to repair something on their home.

Here is a good one. This is a call I got a year or 2 ago

My dishwasher *stopped* working and my warranty man said "Aha, this is why it is not working, it was never hooked up under the sink". That same client " water started coming up thru the wood floor in the kitchen and my warranty guy said you should have found it at the time of the inspection". Both of these occurrences were a year after the inspection.

So are all calls praise. Absolutely not. Some are just ridiculously absurd.
    Those kinds of calls are from the ignorant! No doubt about that.

My problem is the guy saying that people getting calls to explain a portion of the report needs more training. That is 100% B.S. There is always going to be the person that just doesn't "get it" and needs to be told a couple times before it sinks in what you are conveying about their home.

We are in the service industry, plain and simple. Getting a phone call to explain the roof a little better to John Leftnut, well, that is just going to happen, and in order to service the client, we must do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Cleland View Post
    Is #2 Required?
    If I report missing caulk at windows in step 1, is Step 2 necessary?

#3 Report what might happen.Normally I omit this step unless,
    There is a Major defect or Safety Concern and then I recommend a qualified contractor.

#4 Always do this.

Can you let me know IF A Summary is Required in the Report according to NACHI?

If the report is well documented and contains lots of pics, It seems pointess to repeat yourself.

IMO
    Hi Ron, I really do not have a clue as to what INACHI requires or does not require, I do not belong that organization. You might want to send in your reports for them to review and then let them provide feedback as to what needs to be done in order to meet their SoP. I'm pretty sure they still offer this service, I know they did at one time as part of their membership requirements.

Yes, you should always provide your client the direction they need to go. Loose tiles in the shower.... Have a tile expert make the needed repairs. Now whether or not they take your advice is not your problem.

I would not worry about satisfying INACHI, in the long run it is your client that you need to worry about. If you write a good report that is easy to understand then you will be fine.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 09-02-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

You can use it all. Half the time I am typing and watching the news or reading another email or for a large part am typing with my too big of fingers on my phone. The smart phones pick words they want if you change one letter. Most of the time it will not even have a close relation to the word you thought you typed.

Yeah, I don't pick on folks because they spelled something wrong. I actually find it quite funny because I always go over my posts and afterward and there are still a half dozen words totally destroyed. I think anyone that reads any of my posts will find it very comical when I pick on them in jest about their spelling.

This was from my phone so have at any destroyed words
    Ted, I wasn't making fun of your spelling so stay calm. That one word was funnier than hell and I loved it - really !!!

I started to write my story, but there's no compelling reason to recount all the details of today's inspection. I enjoy it when the individual or couple involved in the transaction are present. I prefer them not to bring their kids or invite family members and friends to drop by during the inspection.

I had a pretty heated discussion with a listing agent today on my first inspection...Total A-hole. Then proceeded to flood-out the house of my second inspection. I'd say all things considered, a pretty good day.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I had a pretty heated discussion with a listing agent today on my first inspection...Total A-hole. Then proceeded to flood-out the house of my second inspection. I'd say all things considered, a pretty good day.
    Had a flood a month or 2 ago. Had to buy my third shop vac. It had been so long since I did that I hadn't carried one in years. It does make for an interesting day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast