Joe Suelter Guest

Smile Android tablet users?

I just purchased an ASUS eeeTransformer Android tablet, with docking keyboard. I am using AHIT's Home Report for Android software, which I absolutely love. That was the reason for going with Android. It is very user friendly, and customizable.

My only dislike, is the web browser. It is extremely slow when typing, and quite frankly, a pain in the butt to use. I have also tried, through Android Market, FireFox (awful), Dolphin (not much better), and now Opera (which is the best of them I've tried, still not great). I guess I am just used to FireFox for Windows, which is very fast, I was hoping for the same for Android.

I am new to the whole Android thing. What browser have you found that you like? Any other cool software I should look for?

As always, thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Android tablet users?

This is in no way a pot shot at the original poster but....

I use Home Gage as my software and I amazed at how many gimmicks they come up with to sell their software. I have been using the software for years and really like it but they have lost sight of what a home inspection is. You inspect and house and send a report. IMHO..all of the new hardware that is available only slows down the actual inspection process. I have a Android phone and love it but it is useless as a HI tool...as are Ipads and the like. I feel better now! Thanks!

I've made several attempts to use mobile computing devices for data entry without success - ends up considerably slowing down the inspection process.

YMMV.

On the other hand I recently purchased a used 7" Samsung Andriod Tablet, synced up my entire .PDF and JPEG library, and use it to explain things to peopleat inspections, for which it's quite a time saver.

It's also a terrific way to access my G-mail, contacts and calendar.

Currently I don't have 3G connectivity for it, instead I connect via WiFi to my EVO 4G smart phone, which is set up as a WiFi hotspot.

Other than battery life on the Evo (I had to buy an extended battery) this is pretty much an ideal solution in terms of how I work.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Joe Suelter Guest

The browser is only for personal use, it is not able (at least I don't believe) to act as a cell phone device outside of any wifi hotspots.

I was just curious what others used as a browser. The question really has nothing to do with HI's!

As I said, I'm a noob on the Android stuff.

I agree with Michael, the tablet will slow down the Inspection process. I use the the AHIT checklist format for my HI report and utilize the accompanying book in the field. Since you need to utilize the library and add photos etc to your report, you really need to be in front of your PC rather than in the field doing this. This of course is my preference. I only wish that AHIT would come into the 21st Century and make a version for Mac OS.

I also use AllInspections IPad app when doing:
    Wind Mits
    4 Points
    Roof Certs

Their app streamlines the reporting process and produces a professional looking product for the agent and client.

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wisnewski View Post
    I agree with Michael, the tablet will slow down the Inspection process. I use the the AHIT checklist format for my HI report and utilize the accompanying book in the field. Since you need to utilize the library and add photos etc to your report, you really need to be in front of your PC rather than in the field doing this. This of course is my preference. I only wish that AHIT would come into the 21st Century and make a version for Mac OS.

I also use AllInspections IPad app when doing:
    Wind Mits
    4 Points
    Roof Certs

Their app streamlines the reporting process and produces a professional looking product for the agent and client.
    Bob, a question about your format. You say you use their checklist report, I'm assuming at home/office...and you use the book in the field. You surely don't pay $12 an inspection for the report books, do you? You give the client the pdf format from the software I'm assuming.

I like the tablet use, but am certainly open for easier ways of doing things.

Thanks for responding!

Joe,

No, I use the books for all of my notes etc and then keep them should I ever need to refer back to them. With that said, what you can do before you go out on an inspection, you can tear out all of the duplicate, client copies etc from each section keeping the Inspector Copy in the book for your use. You may also wish to keep extra copies for Rooms and Bathrooms in case you come across more of each than anticipated during the inspection.

I also modified the template with the help of Jon Sherman from AHIT to meet my needs, i.e. lack of basements and certain heating systems here in FL. For example, I eliminated the basement pages and combined Sections 90 and 96 which is more reflective of the typical Heat Pump units we see frequently.

When my report is completed, I save it in the PDF format and email it to the client and agent. I keep a copy of the report in 2 places on my Mac and one the PC for future reference thus eliminating having to print a hard copy.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the program.
    Bob

Joe Suelter Guest

Great information, thanks Bob!

I have been using AHIT Inspectit on my desktop PC through Microsoft Word.

Has anyone tried out the Mac beta version?

And does AHIT believe in customer service? I have been trying to get answers about the Mac software but they don't seem to answer my inquiries. Which leads me to ask do they believe in customer service?

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I have been using AHIT Inspectit on my desktop PC through Microsoft Word.

Has anyone tried out the Mac beta version?

And does AHIT believe in customer service? I have been trying to get answers about the Mac software but they don't seem to answer my inquiries. Which leads me to ask do they believe in customer service?
    For a period of time, I was extremely unhappy with their customer service. I will send you a PM with the name of the gal that was very, very helpful for me.

All the best.

Much appreciated Joe.

Cheers,

Raymond

Raymond,
    Please let us know what AHIT has to say. Jon Sherman sent me an email stating they had a Checklist format designed for the IPad coming out shortly, not sure if this will mirror their PC version. Where did you find the Mac beta version, I did not see it on their website?
    Bob

Joe Suelter Guest

They told me the same thing about the iPad software. Also, a version coming out (it's still in beta) for Windows. I chose the Android because I could get a tablet with a docking full size keyboard, which for me is easier to type, and can be undocked and used as a regular tablet. It is perfect size (10") and has a very bright and easy to read screen. I chose the ASUS EeePad Transformer with docking keyboard. Other than my original gripe about the browser, I love it! Their Polaris Office software opens pdf's, and this thing is very interactive and fast.

One thing about their software I have noticed, there are small differences between the Windows Home Report, and the Android Home Report, and I am sure there will be differences with the iPad version as well. Not huge, just little things that are different.

Bob

AHIT - American Home Inspection Training Institute
    Software Currently in Beta Trial

Inspect Home Report Beta New Features:
    • No longer requires Microsoft Word for instant programming updates (while connected to the internet)
    • Faster, easier to use interface
    • Exact Replica of the AHIT Paper Report
    • Works on Macintosh (Call Technical Support for Mac version Download)

AHIT - Home Report
    Runs on PC's and Macintosh!

• Tablet PC
    • Laptop, Notebook or Desktop Computers
    • Does not require Microsoft Word!
    • Not Apple iOS (iPod, iPhone or iPad)

Okay,

Here's the scoop...

The Ipad OS Inspectit software is hopefully going to be released by the end of September if all goes well. It will be downloadable at iTunes.

The Mac version (i.e. MacBook, etc) will follow later.

Cost will be approx. $249 (unlimited use) and in order to take advantage of upgrades one will have to pay $109 per year for technical assistance package. The $249 includes the first year support. Thereafter you will be billed the $109 yearly.

I also told AHIT that when a email is sent to them there should be an automatic email response indicating the email was rec'd.

Thanks Ray, that is the most AHIT has divulged to date about their entry into the world of Apple. They must be taking their cues from Steve Jobs!

The price is not bad either but would have been nice if they gave us the update for free as that is what I wanted from day one. If you hear anything regarding the release date etc can you drop me an email at:

bob@onthegulfhomeinspectionservices.com

Thanks!

Joe Suelter Guest

If you already use their InspectIt software, and choose to pay the $9.95/mo "technical support", you get the new software at no charge. However, read the fine print....if you cancel the tech support, all your reports have a "DEMO" watermark. They are now calling that $9.95/mo or $109/yr "technical support" a License Fee. So, if at anytime you cancel that service, you lose your "license" and the watermark shows up.

But, I guess for all the upgrades they put in, that is a small price to pay. Plus, they actually do have a good tech department, so for me, it is worth it.

Thanks for the info Joe! I'm with you, tech support is great and I like their reporting format, so no plans to change.

Thumbs down Re: Android tablet users? AHIT Home Report no Bueno yet

I tried to use the AHIT Home Report Beta since it states that it will work on PC's I have a PC Win7 on my laptop. It would not load and they could not figure out why. I currelty use AHIT Reporting Software and would like to get away from my reporting software piggy-backing on MS Word. Looking forward to AHIT being able to resolve the Beta problems and being able to use AHIT Home Report on my Win 7 laptop. Rick

Joe Suelter Guest

Default Re: Android tablet users? AHIT Home Report no Bueno yet

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ramirez View Post
    I tried to use the AHIT Home Report Beta since it states that it will work on PC's I have a PC Win7 on my laptop. It would not load and they could not figure out why. I currelty use AHIT Reporting Software and would like to get away from my reporting software piggy-backing on MS Word. Looking forward to AHIT being able to resolve the Beta problems and being able to use AHIT Home Report on my Win 7 laptop. Rick
    I have it on my Win7 laptop. Runs great. I didn't have any problems with it. I use Norton Security Suite, but I didn't have to disable it or anything.

Good luck, they will get it fixed. It is MUCH MUCH better and faster than the word version.

Cool Re: Android tablet users?

He fellow Hi's just putting my two cents in. I have been trying out the Home Report for Win7 and have had no luck so far it sucks. Yes I did contact AHIT and their tech support is a hit and miss sometimes responsive sometimes just suck. AHIT is not totally 100% customer oriented in my view, just OK. Their Android version is out, but version for Win 7 wont hold my breath. You would think that they would keep their clients in the loop via email (yes they have mine). I doubt that Win 7 version is high on their to do list. So if I want to use Home Report. I would have to spend the money to buy an Android Tablet, yes we HI's are making so much money we can just go out and buy, buy ,buy... Time to go look to the competition for a Win 7 reasonably priced HI Reporting software that doesn't piggy back on MS Word, yup.

Rick

Joe Suelter Guest

He fellow Hi's just putting my two cents in. I have been trying out the Home Report for Win7 and have had no luck so far it sucks. Yes I did contact AHIT and their tech support is a hit and miss sometimes responsive sometimes just suck. AHIT is not totally 100% customer oriented in my view, just OK. Their Android version is out, but version for Win 7 wont hold my breath. You would think that they would keep their clients in the loop via email (yes they have mine). I doubt that Win 7 version is high on their to do list. So if I want to use Home Report. I would have to spend the money to buy an Android Tablet, yes we HI's are making so much money we can just go out and buy, buy ,buy... Time to go look to the competition for a Win 7 reasonably priced HI Reporting software that doesn't piggy back on MS Word, yup.

Rick
    Home Report doesn't "piggyback" on MS Word. I actually kind of regret the purchase of my Android, as I feel I like it a little better on my Windows 7 laptop. I have no idea why it would not be working for you. Their beta version worked just fine for me, and still does...I downloaded it probably 6 months ago now. Works great. I don't have a lot of garbage "fluff" software on my machine though, took all that **** off about 20 minutes out of the box. Got Norton Security Suite, and have Windows Updates DISABLED. Perhaps windows changed something in their updates, I am just speculating.

Good luck in your search.

Hey Joe how goes it. Yea I wish I could figure out why it wont work correctly I like the idea of using Home Report for my inspection, but no such luck yet. I have all AHIT product and hope that Home Report will work with AHIT Office Pro once the bugs are worked out, poor planning if it doesn't. Joe thanks again.

Joe Suelter Guest

What anti-virus are you running? Have you tried disabling it for an hour and opening HomeReport? Firewall disabled? What happens when you double click the icon? Are you running 32 or 64 bit?

I am running 64 bit Win7, with Norton Security Suite (active), no auto-updates for Windows, all my anti-virus definitions are up to date.

Just trying to compare mine to yours to see why it isn't working for you.

Here is the info 64 bit, Avast Anti-Virus. Yea I've turned it off and no luck. I didn't turn off windows update though( i will try that today). When I clicked on it HR loads, when I click on a section lets say exterior nothing happens, thanks it nada silch. I called AHIT they gave it a half hearted effort to fix. When they couldn't fix they took some info said tech support would try to figure it out and call me back, never got a call back. Don't want to buy another software until I know that HR wont work once I know that I'll go with the competition. Joe do you use their Office Pro and if so does it integrate with the new HR. Joe thanks again for your input.

Rick

Cool Re: Android tablet users?

Joe quick update turned off all suggested items etc.. no change.

Joe Suelter Guest

I have their office pro, don't care much for it...don't get me wrong, its a great software...I use it more for storage of Realtors and customers than I do scheduling. I use the calendar on my BlackBerry for that. I open office pro maybe, once a month. It does not integrate, at least if it does, I haven't found out how.

Do you have Adobe? Is it up to date?

Adobe acrobat reader? yes or Adobe Flash Player yes to this too. Curious why? Both up to date.

Joe Suelter Guest

Adobe acrobat reader? yes or Adobe Flash Player yes to this too. Curious why? Both up to date.
    I'm just trying to think of things that might make it not work. Man, I'm drawing a blank here though.

Are you downloading it from AHIT's website? I will download it again and see if it is a different version. Give me a few minutes.

Same here, cant figure it out.

Hey Joe do you have a Linkedin account.

Mike Inspector Guest

3D on the Droid works AWESOME. Not a toy but an actual tool now (the droid).

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Inspector View Post
    3D on the Droid works AWESOME. Not a toy but an actual tool now (the droid).
    I looked at that software...kinda pricey, but looks pretty cool. I might download the free version and see if I like it.

Joe Suelter Guest

Hey Joe do you have a Linkedin account.
    No...and I couldn't even download it the other night....it's like they took it off or something. Hmmmm...not sure what to tell you.

I have worked with Jonathan Sherman, and Chandra Scherer there at AHIT. Chandra is great at finding out why something doesn't work. I will PM you her extension.

I've talked to all of them, they couldn't figure out why. Chandra tried couldn't figure it out said she would call back, never got a call back.

I spend a lot of money with them buying their products, pretty sure I wouldn't recommend them to future inspectors. They were real motivated to help me once they got my money, you know rest. Fortunately many other product with better service reputations, forward and onward. Joe, thank you for trying.

Rick