Default My Latest Grief.....

Sellers are upset that I called out this firepit for being under a patio roof structure.
    They claim they had a building permit for it and have a green tag. I called the local Fire Chief and explained to him the condition and he stated all fire pits had to be a minimum of 10ft. from any part of the structure. I then told him that the homeowner claimed to have had a building inspection with a green tag for it. He said no way in he77 could that have been approved.
    I'm get tired of having to explain stupidity to people for such things.

rick

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Joe Suelter Guest

Default Re: My Latest Grief.....

It looks nice, anyway! Too bad it's completely useless.

It probably OK if you only use Sterno.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter View Post
    It looks nice, anyway! Too bad it's completely useless.
    Not True.
    * Recycle Center
    ** Fern Planter
    *** Ice Cooler
    **** Scorpion Fighting Pit
    ***** Lots of Cool and Useful Stuff ( But NO Fire! )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Could they put a hood with a chimney on it? It doesn't look like there's ever been a fire in it.

It really is a scorpion fighting pit. The seller doesn't want to get busted for illegal gambling.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

**** Scorpion Fighting Pit
    Wow...I now have to clean Pepsi off my monitor!!! Wasn't expecting that! Good one!

I'm sure they had at least one fire in there. The one where they burnt the green tags they can't find as requested in the report.
    And the one that states the 12 year old roof is brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post

It really is a scorpion fighting pit.
    Scorpion Fight - YouTube

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Stephen G Guest

We made a fighting pit when i was in Somalia,,,we put a camel spider in with a scorpion.

The scorpion realised who was in the pit with him and killed himself. He new what was coming...

Nice BBQ pit. I would make nice with the town, get proper permits and suggest adding a hood and whatever else needed to burn safely.

sdg

Last edited by Stephen G; 08-29-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Put in some goldfish

Ice and beer.

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Sellers are upset that I called out this firepit for being under a patio roof structure.
    They claim they had a building permit for it and have a green tag. I called the local Fire Chief and explained to him the condition and he stated all fire pits had to be a minimum of 10ft. from any part of the structure. I then told him that the homeowner claimed to have had a building inspection with a green tag for it. He said no way in he77 could that have been approved.

rick

Just curious as to what made you think it was a firepit? It looks like a planter from the picture and if I was the seller I would plant a flower in it before the next buyer inspection.

I'm with Jack, ice and beer.

If the local code inspectors are anything like they are up here, it probably was passed. I did an inspection last week where a 14 foot deck was attached to a 10 foot section of cantilevered house. No posts at the cantilevers. Inside, on the kitchen counter were the original designers drawings and blueprints showing posts supporting the cantilever. Even had the cities handout which required posts when attached to the cantilever, and a permit signed off by the local code inspector. I called it out, the sellers had the head city inspector come out and he said if was fine.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Just curious as to what made you think it was a firepit? It looks like a planter from the picture and if I was the seller I would plant a flower in it before the next buyer inspection.

James,

The ash cleanout on the bottom and the side wall was a giveaway to me as it being a firepit.

Rick

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Sure they weren't DRAINAGE, air draft and/or servicing or control openings for gas or propane fire "table" type appliance (or even gell or sterno type)? Which accessories may have been removed (such as the "bowl", screen & copper lid)) so as to prevent them from being stollen or blowing around?

Don't see anything that definatively defines this as a "fire pit" in the photo - appears to be at a "bar" or "counter" height with a work-station surface adjacent.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-29-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Sure they weren't DRAINAGE, air draft and/or servicing or control openings for gas or propane fire "table" type appliance (or even gell or sterno type)? Which accessories may have been removed (such as the "bowl", screen & copper lid)) so as to prevent them from being stollen or blowing around?

Don't see anything that definatively defines this as a "fire pit" in the photo - appears to be at a "bar" or "counter" height with a work-station surface adjacent.
    That's right Rick, do you even know what a fire pit looks like??

Watson,

I guess you'd just have to been there. I've seen some firepits over my time, not just one as this one built directly under a patio roof.

By the way, the MLS listing stated it had a "firepit"...

rick

rick
    Screw the sellers... inspection wasnt for them anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Screw the sellers... inspection wasnt for them anyhow.
    Be nice. Sellers are potential clients.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Be nice. Sellers are potential clients.
    I guess they can be, I suppose.. Im still getting over being kicked out of a house last week by an upset seller.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I guess they can be, I suppose.. Im still getting over being kicked out of a house last week by an upset seller.
    At every inspection I go from room to room and turn everything on and every system on in the home. I love it when you think you got it all on and you go back to check on everything it has all been turned off. A woman complained about running her electric bill up for the short amount of time i was going to be there. I let the water run in the tubs and showers and she had turned all of that off.

She told me that inspecting was one thing but burdening her with huge electric bills and messing her home up and dirtying everything and not respecting her home and adding a great expense to her was unconscionable. I tried in the beginning telling her why I was doing it and when I was done would shut everything back down. I tried to explain again and she told me that If I could not follow the rules in her home (she never told me I couldn't) then I would have to leave. She wanted me to wipe out the sinks, tubs and showers and return them as I found them.

That was the one of the very few times I actually left an inspection. She was pretty scary. The husband called me from my card I left and asked me to please come back and finish the inspection (he knew what I was dealing with). She had called him while I was still there and he arrived immediately after I left to relieve me of her. He actually apologized to me because he knew he should not have left her there alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    At every inspection I go from room to room and turn everything on and every system on in the home. I love it when you think you got it all on and you go back to check on everything it has all been turned off. A woman complained about running her electric bill up for the short amount of time i was going to be there. I let the water run in the tubs and showers and she had turned all of that off.

She told me that inspecting was one thing but burdening her with huge electric bills and messing her home up and dirtying everything and not respecting her home and adding a great expense to her was unconscionable. I tried in the beginning telling her why I was doing it and when I was done would shut everything back down. I tried to explain again and she told me that If I could not follow the rules in her home (she never told me I couldn't) then I would have to leave. She wanted me to wipe out the sinks, tubs and showers and return them as I found them.

That was the one of the very few times I actually left an inspection. She was pretty scary. The husband called me from my card I left and asked me to please come back and finish the inspection (he knew what I was dealing with). She had called him while I was still there and he arrived immediately after I left to relieve me of her. He actually apologized to me because he knew he should not have left her there alone.

I've had very similar things happen a few times. Each time I stopped the inspections the clients withdrew their offers.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ted,

That would have been when I would have walked outside and called the listing agent and told her she had a "hostile" seller and to call her and ask her to leave the house for inspection purposes. I've done it many a times and I can assure you the listing agent will work with you on getting your inspection done.

Rick

Just keep this in mind - about 30% of the population is off the rails on the crazy train.

www.allsafehome.ca

James Duffin Guest

James,

The ash cleanout on the bottom and the side wall was a giveaway to me as it being a firepit.

Rick
    Didn;t see that in the picture....thanks!

Rick,
    Is it possible that there was a Permit for the patio cover roof? Which is what the owner was referring to and thinking that the green tag was there after the inspection sign off on the roof.

The fire pit would not have been part of the roof permit. Pit may not have been there when roof was inspected and the owner is muddled in time line and what the permits were really for.

Have had people tell me about permits and they have over time lost the understanding of what permits covered.

Was there a drain hole in the bottom of the pit? Possible to use as a cooler for drinks?

Rick,

Not sure what to make of all this... just because we live in Texas does not mean we don't what a Fire Pit looks like...We do get a few days every year where it is less that 100 outside. And the truth be told, I do believe that because we live in Texas we dang well know what a cooler looks like!

But it might help out if you could just jump in the truck and run back over and take a few more pictures, maybe an 8x10 or two, and while you're there shoot one of those Youtube videos telling folks what a fire pit really looks like would ya?

The pre-cast forms, as well as those already decorated and named as "fire pits" are sold everyday, throughout the country. These pre-cast openings and maintained as decorated may function in a number of capacities. They are regularly produced in a number of heights, including "coffee table" heights, Table heights (approx 29") and "bar" heights.

Such are marketed, and referred to as "fire pit" forms.

They can be fitted with gas log sets, decorative appliances (NG OR PROPANE - including a canister), gas "lighting", and combination "water & fire" effects, as well as outdoor kitchen type cooking grills. Same often include differing vertical clearances relative to open cover, some as few as four and six feet - some specifically listed and labeled even for use in a screened porch, some even for use indoors. Most for outdoor or covered area open use include warnings regards to use when "windy".

The later "appliances" which include decorative types are allowed.

In this age of metal theft, high winds, and long-standing drought in Texas it is not surprising same would not be set in place (as would not be in use nor expected to be used in the present or near future) especially at a time of showing.

The "bowls", "rings", "inserts", nor the burner "plates" as well as the accessories (fire glass, lava rock, etc.) would also not likely be expected to be in place during such a sustained period of non-use (who wants to remove, clean, sift, wash-down, dry, and replace collections of dust, debris, infiltrate, from an entire summer and most of the spring and winter that preceeded it in restricted use conditions and drought?).

"Fire pit" does not equate to solid-fuel, nor tubular burner, nor gas log. It includes a host of other possiblities regards to type of appliance.

I can think of three which are indeed specifically allowed - and provide for complete removal during periods of non-use, including the fuel source which is portable. The fire-pit form has been obviously installed and is going with the home - the accessories allowing its use are not necessarily fixtures and in the types I'm referring to would be contents not go with the home unless negotiated; and are easily sourced.

The pre-cast forms, as well as those already decorated and named as "fire pits" are sold .
    Do Tell.
    Exactly where is this located in the Op's picture ?
    you big wind bag.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Do Tell.
    Exactly where is this located in the Op's picture ?
    you big wind bag.
    Clearly, in Rick's picture, oh yeah, and his description of the required openings, in his third or so follow-up post, which he called ash-clean-out openings. Note, no mention of a DOOR at the base, was there, or for that matter the side of the pre-cast installed form with applied decorative finish.

Clearly, in Rick's picture, oh yeah, and his description of the required openings, in his third or so follow-up post, which he called ash-clean-out openings. Note, no mention of a DOOR at the base, was there, or for that matter the side of the pre-cast installed form with applied decorative finish.

The Built into the side walls and support post with individually applied Fire Bricks Inside is Pr-Fabricated ?
    * ya got a link to support that Brilliant Observation.
    ** you big wind bag.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 09-07-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: ADDED TO

The Built into the side walls and support post with individually applied Fire Bricks Inside is Pr-Fabricated ?
    * ya got a link to support that Brilliant Observation.
    ** you big wind bag.
    Billy, Billy, Billy,

Its a veneer finish (and a pi$$-poor DIY job at that), not solid masonry, and cap stones, don't see a single fire brick inside, likely applied to a round bar-height hollow form, or could be a shorter-height upon a platform, not unlike the one adjacent to it that's been poorly topped. The center appears to be one of three somewhat standardized diameters for drop-ins.

Fire Pit Modules - Firepit Housings

Gas Fire Pit Kits - Discount Hearth

Heck one can even S.O. the table height and bar height forms and drop in kits, from big blue and big orange. Many of the larger even stock some "conversation" height (coffee table height) forms and some of the drop-in accessores and appliances seasonally.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-09-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Billy, Billy, Billy,

don't see a single fire brick inside,.
    H. H. whatever,

Look Again.

Cap ring tiles. Just like the horrific moronicly applied veneer that you for whatever reason thought was solid masonry construction, they (tiles) too can be applied as a decorative finish detail.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-09-2011 at 10:43 PM.

that you for whatever reason thought
    Yep one of us is not Though-ting Much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

I once inspected a Bel Air house for Burt Reynolds when he was married to Pamela Anderson in the early 1990's. I moved some of her clothes to enter an attic and for my troubles got a snotty letter and a dry cleaning bill that was bigger than my inspection fee! Thank goodness the buyer took pity on me and paid it. Since then, I do not touch clothes and make the seller or listing agent move them.

Last edited by Andrew Buckwell; 09-23-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Buckwell View Post
    got a snotty letter and a dry cleaning bill that was bigger than my inspection fee!
    You're not charging enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Buckwell View Post
    I once inspected a Bel Air house for Burt Reynolds when he was married to Pamela Anderson in the early 1990's. I moved some of her clothes to enter an attic and for my troubles got a snotty letter and a dry cleaning bill that was bigger than my inspection fee! Thank goodness the buyer took pity on me and paid it. Since then, I do not touch clothes and make the seller or listing agent move them.
    If you caused them to become dirty, then pay the bill.

If it was because you touched her stuff and thus contaminated the clothing, you were a wimp for not telling them to stick the bill where it don't shine.

ANDREW

reynolds was married to loni anderson not pamela--you should have known that because of the bra size you saw or soiled.

cvf

wes owens Guest

Just curious, but is that a sprinkler head on the ceiling over the pit?
    Couldn't quite tell from the picture.

No, its a light fixture not mounted properly.

rick

Remove the Firepit
    or
    Add a Chimney vent above...
    what is the question?