Default Gas log set in bedroom

A friend recently bought a house with a pellet stove installed in master bedroom. He would like to remove the pellet stove and install some sort of gas fireplace, log set etc. Does the prohbition against pulling combustion air from bedroom apply the same way it does for a furnace. I know this is very simplified but I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: Gas log set in bedroom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    A friend recently bought a house with a pellet stove installed in master bedroom. He would like to remove the pellet stove and install some sort of gas fireplace, log set etc. Does the prohbition against pulling combustion air from bedroom apply the same way it does for a furnace. I know this is very simplified but I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Yes.
    .... E-Codes .

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

If "some sort of gas fireplace" is a direct vent unit, he might be ok, drawing combustion air from outside and a simple solution to the exhaust too. Check with the local authority first. The vent will need to be at least 3 feet away from an opening window.

I personally would instal an electric fireplace, safer and simpler. Dimplex makes dozens of different models, 15 amps and 120 volts. Many of them come with remotes so you can light the fire while laying in bed. Could we get much lazier than that?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Well, it depends on the code in force in your area. If you fall under ICC codes (which a very high percentage of the USA does) then vented gas fireplaces and gas logs are generally permitted (in bedrooms) provided the BTU input does not exceed 20 BTU per cubic foot of room volume. Direct vent gas appliances are not subject to those BTU restrictions but common sense would tell you that you don't want an appliance larger than 20 BTU per cubic foot anyway. Check the code in your area because things could be different where you are.

Scott Cook Guest

Billy, would you mind quoting the E Code? I don't have access to them.
    While the Fuel Gas code may allow unvented wall mount heaters that are 10k btu's or less in bedrooms with a volume of 50 cu ft per 1000 btu's, many local codes don't. I believe the DOE requires a minimum ventilation reqirement of .35 air changes per hour if these small heaters are installed in bedrooms. I would never recommend their use in a bedroom, if asked.
    As far a vented heaters in bedrooms, they must meet the standard combustion air requirements, but I am not aware of other exclusions, except local ordinances.

Last edited by Scott Cook; 08-29-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Yes.
    .... E-Codes .
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cook View Post
    Billy, would you mind quoting the E Code? I don't have access to them.
    While the Fuel Gas code may allow unvented wall mount heaters that are 10k btu's or less in bedrooms with a volume of 50 cu ft per 1000 btu's, many local codes don't. I believe the DOE requires a minimum ventilation reqirement of .35 air changes per hour if these small heaters are installed in bedrooms. I would never recommend their use in a bedroom, if asked.
    As far a vented heaters in bedrooms, they must meet the standard combustion air requirements, but I am not aware of other exclusions, except local ordinances.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Scott Cook Guest

Ha, I was thinking of something a little more specific....

Ha, I was thinking of something a little more specific....
    Scott,

I posted a link in Blue E-CODES.

Please click on it above.

Lets try Here E-Codes

The Link Times Out Google on line Florida Building Code.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The Link Times Out Google on line Florida Building Code.
    Billy S,

Don't know why you'd be trying to reference the 2007 Florida Building Code: Residential (First Printing) with 2009 Supplement, Chapter 17, M1701.1 "Air Supply", for yourself, the original poster, or the party asking for your reference in the first place. As I read the locations of the participants, and the topic question/original post, It doesn't/and wouldn't apply (to the juridiction of any yet to have participated on this thread, or the topic/question on this thread). The question was regarding REMOVING the pellet stove from the bedroom and installing a GAS fireplace, log set or appliance in a bedroom and came from a Utah poster, did it not? BTW, don't cut and paste a link from a google search page you have to actually navigate to the link yourself first and copy from your navigation bar afterwards.

Chapter 17 - Combustion Air

SECTION M1701 GENERAL

M1701.1 Air supply. Liquid- and solid-fuel-burning appliances shall be provided with a supply of air for fuel combustion, draft hood dilution and ventilation of the space in which the appliance is installed, in accordance with Section M1702 or Section M1703. The methods of providing combustion air in this chapter do not apply to fireplaces, fireplace stoves and direct-vent appliances.
    a gas log set or gas fireplace or appliance..

The International Codes (unammended) can be viewed (view-only mode) on-line for free ("Free Subscription Web Site" to the "International Code Council Online Library) from this link (clickable, and it works): International

The "e" in "eCodes" is merely the "electronic access" version of the International Code Council Code Library.

Here is the "eCodes" index (ammended for) States (clickable link):
    States

The link I provided first above will take you to the general index, next click on the Code you wish to view, which will take you to a list of editions for same, continue on to the edition, chapter, etc. The second link I provided above will take you to a State Index, click on the State name, and from there use the "next" button to view the list of codes & editions therein.

Here's Billy S.'s corrected "link" although it doesn't apply: Chapter 17 - Combustion Air

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-29-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Scott Cook Guest

Billy, Thanks for trying, I thought you were just joking. I can only get the sign-in page from the links, and I am not a member. Thanks also, HG.

E-Codes

M1701.4

Billy, Thanks for trying, I thought you were just joking. I can only get the sign-in page from the links, and I am not a member. Thanks also, HG.
    You're welcome Scott.

The topic question goes to IRC G2402.3 (303.3 IFGC).

This is a link that is applicable, requires no subscription, and works:

Click here (will take you directly to G2402.3 of the unammended IRC - 2009 edition): Chapter 24 - Fuel Gas

Scroll down to read the section, navigate the cross references and peruse the appropriate additional sections to your heart's desire.

G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations. Appliances shall not be located in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms, storage closets or surgical rooms, or in a space that opens only into such rooms or spaces, except where the installation complies with one of the following:

1. The appliance is a direct-vent appliance installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s instructions.
    2. Vented room heaters, wall furnaces, vented decorative appliances, vented gas fireplaces, vented gas fireplace heaters and decorative appliances for installation in vented solid fuel-burning fireplaces are installed in rooms that meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
    3. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater is installed in a bathroom and such unvented room heater is equipped as specified in Section G2445.6 and has an input rating not greater than 6,000 Btu/h (1.76 kW). The bathroom shall meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
    4. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater is installed in a bedroom and such unvented room heater is equipped as specified in Section G2445.6 and has an input rating not greater than 10,000 Btu/h (2.93 kW). The bedroom shall meet the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
    5. The appliance is installed in a room or space that opens only into a bedroom or bathroom, and such room or space is used for no other purpose and is provided with a solid weather-stripped door equipped with an approved self-closing device. All combustion air shall be taken directly from the outdoors in accordance with Section G2407.6.
    G2407 (304) Is the Section on Combustion, Ventilation and Dilution Air for Fuel-Gas fired appliances.

Then cover G2431, and select the appropriate Section thereafter relative to the Gas appliance type. You'll see the section headings listed at the top of the linked page.

I don't think he was joking, but that he doesn't know any better. Can't imagine why he resorts to FL. building codes in the first place, he's in TN, the original poster is in UT, and he's trying to link you to a section on solid fuel - which doesn't apply to a gas appliance.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post

I don't think he was joking, but that he doesn't know any better. Can't imagine why he resorts to FL. building codes in the first place, he's in TN, the original poster is in UT, and he's trying to link you to a section on solid fuel - which doesn't apply to a gas appliance.
    Ok Dill Weed,

Op question was pulling Combustion Air from a bedroom the same way as a furnace.

Locale under IRC 2006. Utah?

Sited Section of Fl Codes is the same as IRC 2006 Prohibited.
    Sense I Work for a Living ( Please Keep it Short)
    Enlighten Us how you stretched this into if Pigs Fly It's Alright.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I recommend small DV gas stove, safe, simple, can vent through the wall. Also can have remote controls, can be heater rated.

Even if the local code allows open gas burning, vent free or B-vent, the direct vent product will be less trouble, safer and more efficient.
    Replaceing spill switches on b-vent's is a good regular service call for hearth service people. Vent free pilots make noise and make up air grills often get blocked by users feeling a draft.
    "The vent will need to be at least 3 feet away from an opening window." Some dv units it's as little as 12".

----

Also "Ok Dill Weed" What? Specific is good, location matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tilleux View Post

----

Also "Ok Dill Weed" What? Specific is good, location matters.
    Go for It.
    Building Permits-Inspections

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 09-03-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: link added

a 'working' idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    a 'working' idiot!
    At least you kept it short.
    * instead of 12 Paragraphs ( not counting Amendments ) like Your usual Rants.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images