Default Townhouse - self closing garage doors

Do doors that lead from a garage (all garages connected together) to a common area have to be self closing?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

James Foy Guest

Default Re: Townhouse - self closing garage doors

If the corridor they join is habitable (has ducting going to it) then they all need to be self closing to prevent the fast spreading of fire, smoke, and poisonous gases. If the corridor has one hour fire resistance, than the door from the corridor to the other habitable portions of the building needs to be self closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Do doors that lead from a garage (all garages connected together) to a common area have to be self closing?
    From the picture, this appears to be a common hallway. This is usually considered a one-hour "fire corridor" for safe exit. All doors usually are required to be self closing fire rated doors to prevent spread of fire. You often see them held open by magnetic catches tied to the fire alarm system if there is one.
    You also often see fire doors to stairwells and such blocked open by residents. This is a huge fire code violation that I frequently call out.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    From the picture, this appears to be a common hallway. This is usually considered a one-hour "fire corridor" for safe exit. All doors usually are required to be self closing fire rated doors to prevent spread of fire. You often see them held open by magnetic catches tied to the fire alarm system if there is one.
    You also often see fire doors to stairwells and such blocked open by residents. This is a huge fire code violation that I frequently call out.
    that's kinda what I figured..

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No.

What your describing would not be a "townhouse" under the IRC, or california's current version of same - but fall under the former CBC version of the UBC or IBC.

I suspect the inspected was and is actually a Condo and you have photographed limited common and shared limited common elements.

I further suspect and that none of the units themselves share the separation with that of the garage(s) spaces and are further separated by common or limited common hall/foyer/ space and that the doors to the actual habital units have self-closing doors with thresholds. There is likely a non-locking door separating this "garage"/storage "hall" from the entrance foyer/common egress/exit path from the units which opens to that foyer (escape path FROM the common garage hall) has a closer and may or may not be held open with electro magnet integrated with fire detection system. The deadbolts on those garage exit doors should not require a key to operate from inside the garage space(s) and the partition walls between the garage spaces themselves are likely NOT separation walls.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Sandie Hastings Guest

They are fire doors and they need to self-close and latch. (IFC 703.2.3)

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    No.

What your describing would not be a "townhouse" under the IRC, or california's current version of same - but fall under the former CBC version of the UBC or IBC.

I suspect the inspected was and is actually a Condo and you have photographed limited common and shared limited common elements.

I further suspect and that none of the units themselves share the separation with that of the garage(s) spaces and are further separated by common or limited common hall/foyer/ space and that the doors to the actual habital units have self-closing doors with thresholds. There is likely a non-locking door separating this "garage"/storage "hall" from the entrance foyer/common egress/exit path from the units which opens to that foyer (escape path FROM the common garage hall) has a closer and may or may not be held open with electro magnet integrated with fire detection system. The deadbolts on those garage exit doors should not require a key to operate from inside the garage space(s) and the partition walls between the garage spaces themselves are likely NOT separation walls.
    Wow, impressive. You're correct in that they are condos. My mistake calling them townhouses.