Default Garage door open extend arm

Hi,
    Found a home made extenion made of 3/4" electrical conduit on arm of garage door opener which allowed owner to get around 2nd floor support beam. at least they did'nt cut the beam.
    Any thoughts on this installation?

Thanks,
    Mike Richards

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Garage door open extend arm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richards View Post
    Hi,

Any thoughts on this installation?

Thanks,
    Mike Richards
    I don't think it could be installed per Manufactures Installation Instructions.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Very creative, and very wrong.

They can install a jack-shaft style opener right on the torsion bar to get around the clearance issue.

Dom.

I agree with Billy. You might point out that if the connection to the extension were to fail, at either end, it could ruin the wax job on the Beamer.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Too bad he hammered the tubing flat at the right end. That weakened it a bit.
    They could hang a safety strap down from the ceiling to catch the pipe if it pops loose.
    In my report, I guess I'd call for removal, and let the buyer decide.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Interesting modification.

I would think that if an obstruction is encountered in the path of the closing door that the added extension would likely bend and kink in one direction or another unless the resist tension was adjusted for a VERY light touch. I would also be a bit concerned that the door could be easier to force open by hand.

Bottom line is that this is an non-standard installation. I would make the client aware that while it may work it may just as likely fail and with unpredictable consequences.

I confess that I had to smile at the ingenuity here on display but professionally I could never "sign off" on it as installed.

All wrong..... BUT. Commend and congratulate them over and over again for NOT boring a hole or notching the bottom of that beam

Mike,
    Do you have pics of attachment at door and chain arm?

Side note, there are vertical openers which would be a recommended replacement. If only to cover any liability for something happening in the future.

Personally I think it is a creative solution to use the standard opener. If there were not vertical openers available some tweeking and you would have a sell-able product. Maybe Ronco would be interested.

Judging by all of the light showing through (at the top right corner), the garage door is also a major amateur installation.