Default Another hot Zinsco

I smelled this one before I even opened the panel, hmmm burning plastic.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Another hot Zinsco

The Zinsco panels that are part of the meter panel are designed to only be opened after the meter has been removed since no protection is present to keep the cover from tilting into the main lugs. Whoever designed these is an idiot. Then, of course, you have the regular zinsco issue that requires replacement anyway so removing the cover is not even needed.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Wink Re: Another hot Zinsco

"hot" would also be a little easier to ascertain if you showed spot temps in your IR pics...

Jus saying!

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gault View Post
    "hot" would also be a little easier to ascertain if you showed spot temps in your IR pics...

Jus saying!
    I dont show temps on my images. But if you must know, it was over 200+ degrees above ambient...just sayn

Darrel Hood Guest

Its my dumb question time. How is a panel inspected using an IR camera? I can understand how a circuit with an operating load is inspected. However I don't understand the examination of a circuit that is not in use. This seems to make examination of a panel largely dependent on luck, ie only valuable for circuits in use.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Its my dumb question time. How is a panel inspected using an IR camera? I can understand how a circuit with an operating load is inspected. However I don't understand the examination of a circuit that is not in use. This seems to make examination of a panel largely dependent on luck, ie only valuable for circuits in use.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, with residential, I load the panel with whatever is avialable to me which isnt typically more than lights. But..if the panel performs in a manner such as this, under minimal or no load imagine what happens under heavy load.
    With Zinsco I dont rely on temps for my evaluation. If I find any heat within the panel I write it up. I have 3 panel boards in my garage that I scanned and were later replaced, all had damaged busses and, ALL were less than 100 degrees of ambient.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Marc M; 09-09-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Nother.... The only load was the microwave, range LCD and a 40Watt bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Nother.... The only load was the microwave, range LCD and a 40Watt bulb.
    Hi, Marc

Was the Microwave on at the moment you were inspecting the panel? Did you turn it on for 15 mins then went to open the panel?

I am curious how the breakers get the temp without load.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Hi, Marc

Was the Microwave on at the moment you were inspecting the panel? Did you turn it on for 15 mins then went to open the panel?

Thanks
    Peter,
    look closely at the 10/1/2011 image
    it's doubtful those appliances & general lighting are on those 220/240 V ocd, ymmv

hny

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Hi, Marc

Thanks
    Dont remember but doubt it.