mathew stouffer Guest

Default Trumbull Electric Co.

First time for I have seen this company. Any recalls or problems with this. House was built in 1930's.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Paul B Guest

Default Re: Trumbull Electric Co.

The only problem is that it is OLD. Electrical equipment does not get better with age (like we do).

It says GE is the parent company. Mid 50's maybe.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I think Trumbull was bought out by Sylvania back in the 50's. They are still in business, they manufacture Plumbing fixtures now but I think the electrical part of their business is defunct

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    First time for I have seen this company. Any recalls or problems with this. House was built in 1930's.
    I'm not aware of any panel that has had an "official" recall. I could be mistaken so any info would be appreciated.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Smith View Post
    I think Trumbull was bought out by Sylvania back in the 50's. They are still in business, they manufacture Plumbing fixtures now but I think the electrical part of their business is defunct
    Sylvania

OSRAM SYLVANIA - SYLVANIA Home

Trumbull

In 1899, John, along with his brother Henry Trumbull and business associate, Frank T. Wheeler formed an electrical business in Plainville. Initially known as the Trumbull Electric Company, it produced electrical switches, appliances, and supplies. The name was changed in 1903 to the Trumbull Electric Manufacturing Company, and later became part of General Electric.

Trumbull Industries

I guess I was mistaken. I throught Trumbull Electric Co was once a part of the larger corporation of Trumbull Industries. I stand corrected.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Mat,

Regarding your question, YES problem.

Besides the low temp, old/obsolete general issues, and the fact it is only 40 max on the mains, doesn't meet current minimums for SCCR, etc.

The most obvious safety issue is relative to the lower controls i.e. their operation and orientation. Although the top (1 & 2) operates in the correct orientation, (up-ON/down-off) the lower row 3, 4, 5 &6 (four) operate in an unsafe orientation (against code and safety standards for decades), that being up-OFF/down-ON)!!! Thus a Dangerous and Hazardous condition.

That fact alone (lower set operates in opposite orientation - thus gravity - default should spring switch fail would be to close contacts, and to safely open contacts -thus "off", would have to defy gravity) should be sufficient grounds to advise immediate replacement.

That "Circle T" equipment was listed to the restrictions of UL and the NEC of that vintage (likely mid 30s) to contain a maximum of 9 conductors in a wireway, or conduit. Double taps and overfill as pictured exceeds even of the era of mfg.

Trumbull Electric Manufacturing Co. Woodford Ave, Plainville, Conn. became affiliated with General Electric in 1918. Produced electrical supply parts including porcelain fixtures, switchboards and panels.

I'd guess this equipment to be circa 1946 or earlier mfg.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-19-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: correction in orange, bolded & underlined (typo - hit 5 instead of 4, missed mistake when originally responded).