Don Martin Guest

Default Painted Fire Box

I have come across a few brick fireplaces were the firebricks have been painted. I have called this out as unsafe unless the paint is rated for this use. Any thoughts or additional information would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Painted Fire Box

Thoughts? Really hadn't given the issue much consideration in the past and likely won't in the future.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Even if the paint catches fire, it will be in a fireplace. A place designed for fires.

The danger may be more along the lines of potential hazard gases produced as the paint burns.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    The danger may be more along the lines of potential hazard gases produced as the paint burns.
    Not to be smart about it but it'd be much the same as the dangerous gases wood gives off when it burns. I don't see a difference.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Cool Re: Painted Fire Box

As Eric said, the fumes would off-gas up the chimney...........if it is venting properly.

There is no code reference for firebox coatings. While it is not addressed in UL 127 nor in any mfrs. manuals I've read, I would never recommend painting the firebox refractory panels of a factory built fireplace. It will change the heat signature of the fireplace significantly and therefore constitute a fire hazard.

FYI, Count Rumford used to recommend parging the firebox with a lime white wash to reflect heat back into the room...........back in 1795.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Not to be smart about it but it'd be much the same as the dangerous gases wood gives off when it burns. I don't see a difference.
    Unless it was painted with Lead based paint.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.