Jon Eberhardt Guest

Default can i convert my chimney to use wood heat?

Hi, I have purchased a wood burning furnace recently and plan to hook it up to a chimney that is currently being used for oil furnace C0 venting. I plan to remove the oil furnace all together and replace it with the wood heat. I know you can't have 2 of anything on the same vent flue but what I am wondering is, is the existing chimney, with clay tile liner going to be suitable for my wood furnace? the chimney is 9" x 9" and the furnace is a voglezang bought from menards? any input would be great even if its just something else i need to check or like a formula for calculating ventilation needs and size, thanks
    Jon

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: can i convert my chimney to use wood heat?

I think you will find that a stainless steel (one piece) liner is required.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You would be best served to acquire the services of a qualified professional inspector, and acquire at a minimum a Level II inspection. Next the installation is not a DIY project and should only be performed by a qualified installer, in consultation with your AHJ and should be permitted and multiply inspected.

NFPA 211 is available for on-line viewing access (only) for those who sign up (that is to register at the site for viewing access, not necessarily join as a member) at NFPA.org, and the publication is likely available aas a reference material at your library or goverment depository.

NFPA 211 is the "Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances". It covers built-in place and factory-built, as well as contains requirements for un-listed appliances, as well as describes the inspection "levels" of same. It further deliniates what constitutes an "approved" masonry chimney and additionally addresses UL 103 HT manufactured chimney installations and the connectors (such as stove pipe) thereto.

Your qualified, licensed, professional heating equipment installer and your qualified chimney professional can address the suitability and functionality of your existing chimney and the options regarding remediation and correction, or replacement options to the appropriate 6" and draft control, height, etc..

Clickable links below (required to register and confirm registration, when prompted, then sign in, to view):

NFPA 211: Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances

Once registered you will also have access to (view only mode) review other applicable codes and standards, i.e. NFPA 90B NFPA 90B: Standard for the Installation of Warm Air Heating and Air-Conditioning Systems and NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code) NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeĀ®

You will not find NFPA 89M (referenced in Mfg installation instructions) presently published, not since IIRC 1991. If asbestos pipe or sheilding/clearance assemblies are present, you would be best advised to seek additional professional consultation prior to any disturbance of the materials, and acquire professional removal/remediation/stablization services.

BTW I believe you have transposed the "e" and the "L" in Vogelzang.
    I'd be further dubious regarding claims of EPA exemption for wood stove UL 391.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-13-2011 at 07:05 AM.

The best info will be in the manufacturer's instructions/owner's manual. If you don't have access to it run the unit's model number on Google and it can likely be found. That being said, I agree with Raymond that you will likely need a liner.

You should also check with your homeowner's insurance company. They probably will either require the system be installed by a qualified, licensed, professional installer, or if installed by you, to be inspected by a licensed, qualified chimney inspector before they will re-insure the property.

Walter Bruno Guest

Jon, replacing an oil furnace with a woodburing stove seems mighty iffy, especially for Wisconsin. Florida,maybe. Have you considered this move more generally, from the standpoint of low-maintenance heating,where you can come home to a warm house (and not see your pipes frozen)? Have you considered natural gas?