Default got lucky on this one

The very one place I decided to stick my hand into the insulation and look for a vapor barrier. Look what I found.

Not only was it an open splice but done so poorly that when I barely touched the wires the attic light flickered off.

Good thing I didn't get shocked and fall off the ladder.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Roger Frazee Guest

Default Re: got lucky on this one

I was hoping you might have found my kleins linesman pliers ....

Yeah that is really stupid but you see that type of splicing all too often. I once found one like that where an exterior day night mercury light had been spliced. I was on a call to fix the non working light. The owner had made several open splices as it turned out and used 3 or 4 different types of cable in short lenths to get to the light mounted over his garage doors. He just daisy chained them with splices like you found. He actually thought he had done something to be proud.

Glad you stayed on the ladder .....

Call it intuition
    Makes you want to add boilerplate that all the insulation should be sucked out of the attic, any electrical repairs done and the attic re-insulated.
    But don't worry, blown in cellulose has fire retardant added!!

Strange thing is, this was 1999 construction and the insulation looked like it had never been touched. I think I was the first one to displace any of it since it was first blown in.

I can understand a harry homeowner jacking stuff up like this. But a contracted electrician and then followed by insulation guys who just covered it up?

Not what I usually find in undisturbed attic insulation.

Smile Re: got lucky on this one

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Strange thing is, this was 1999 construction and the insulation looked like it had never been touched. I think I was the first one to displace any of it since it was first blown in.

I can understand a harry homeowner jacking stuff up like this. But a contracted electrician and then followed by insulation guys who just covered it up?

Not what I usually find in undisturbed attic insulation.
    You never know... maybe the insulation guys forgot their extension cord that day and needed a light in the attic

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer