Bruce Thomas Guest

Cool Finishing a basement

I have a client who asked "what is the best way to finish a basement". Every contractor I talk to has a different answer. I just thought I would get some of your opinions.

A few details, Big ranch, tile floor in basement, she is doing major remodel. All floors are concrete including the first floor.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Finishing a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
    "what is the best way to finish a basement"
    "Finish it" into what?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bruce Thomas Guest

OK Jerry (King of crawl spaces) in the northern part of our country we dig deep square holes the size of the house that we want to build. We then pour a concrete footer and lay concrete block walls sometimes as high as 8 feet. That leaves a space that we sometimes add interior type walls and ceilings to.

I realize the some of the folks in the deep south either have never seen or can't remember this type of living space but up here in the cold north, we call it a basement or a cellar. Some times we like to spiff it up and cover up all of that concrete with drywall and such. I was jus askin da bes way ta do dat.

It makes it a great place to watch football on TV and play pool and darts and get the kids out of your hair(what there is of it left).

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Thomas; 08-10-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Cas' I left somthin out

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
    OK Jerry (King of crawl spaces) in the northern part of our country
    You are in a warmer area than were I grew up as a kid - 40 miles south of Buffalo. I am familiar with those big holes called basements and cellars (basements were nicer, cellars were dingier and dirtier).

My question was meant as: ""Finish it" into what?"

A bedroom?

A playroom?

A workshop?

A *what*?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bruce Thomas Guest

Talking Re: Finishing a basement

I see why you moved to Florida.

OK, Play / Social Room. This is for a retirement home.

I'm interested in method ie. Fiberglass insulated wood stud wall 1" away from the block wall. Or vapor barrier on block wall or not, etc.

They are probable going with hard coat plaster.

Just kidding before

Bruce

I'd suggest they (her) pay particular attention to emergency escape and rescue, especially it here is a sleeping room in the planned finished basement.
    Why is she asking you? I'd tell her to retain a local architect or drafts-person familiar with the appropriate building codes.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Smile Re: Finishing a basement

Bruce, here is how I finished may basement it may not be the best method but I think that it's a good way to go.

I used fiberglass batt insulation for the joist band only. Then I put one inch ridgid foam insulation dirrectly against the concrete then framed all of the walls with 2by4's and used treated bottom plates. The studs are against the foam not the concrete. I insulated the ceiling with R-19 batts for sound proofing and I am very glad I did.

If there are no problems with moisture and the cement walls are straight here is a simpler and faster way to do the walls.

Use treated 2by2's or rip treated 2by4's in half, nail them directly to the concrete on 16 inch centers and make sure to face the treated side toward the concrete. No top or bottom plates are needed, install 2 inch ridgid foam insulation between studs. Use shallow electrical boxes and nail plates over the studs to protect wiring. Then cover with drywall. I would suggest using the new paperless drywall in a basement.

David Banks Guest

Here is a couple of PD F'S from Building Science on the issue.

Attached Files Attached Files

Bruce Thomas Guest

Great information, thanks guys

Bruce